Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 9

Here is a clip from the Aiptek MPVR+ with Chase 520 line bullet cam.

http://media.putfile.com/One-Lap-at-...-Ranch-Houston
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Liked: 0

Nice video, but that track looks like it was patched by a New Orleans street crew.
    Lee Tilton
    1984 Zink F500/600cc power
    2003 SCCA Gulf Coast Region AP Class Champion (FFR Cobra)

Default track patch

Lee,

Looks are deceiving. The MSR Houston track has a great surface..very smooth...albeit a bit slick at the last 2 coners over the patch. Makes NPR's surface look like military proving grounds . (I did hear that in the past 2 weeks the NPR craters have been improved.

Robin Ardoin

Default more info

The Oregon Scientific Cams have an auto shut down after 10 minutes. The shut down can NOT be over-riden (spelled right ??).

I exchanged a couple of e-mails about this ==> E-Bay item. The guy tells me he has several units in "SCCA race cars" and they work fine. Like others it is MPEG 4, format. But at 300'ish...

Layne
    Last edited by mischievous; 02.02.07 at 6:07 PM. Reason: Man I am a poor speller.

Liked: 11

Took the Chasecam out of the box added batteries and a cf card... 10min later iI've got this:

http://media.putfile.com/chasecam3

Quality of the clip when not compressed is great.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

oh, my wife wants me to request a pardon on the clutter... I just got back from out of town and she just has been at her sisters- unpacking from being gone a week.... She could not believe I posted a video of the house is such a state!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 553

Dude. Your wife's hot. How'd you pull that off?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

She has bad eyesight.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Quote Originally Posted by JakeL View Post
    Sean,

How do you plan to mount the Camera? Are you going to hard-wire the PDR100 into the car's +12v?

Also, how are you going to aim the camera? Do you have a MiniDV cam you can hook up for aiming, or something?

I've been looking into this exact setup myself, (the coneheads I run with love it, and I think it'll work great on track, too) so very eager to hear some first-hand impressions when you get the product, and when you get a chance to use it.

Cheers!

-Jake
    Here you go.

I took some damaged aero suspension stuff (thanks GR) and welded up this bracket for the camera. It will simply zip-tie to the roll bar. The camera will go into one of Helmetcamera's housings and be velcro'd to my mount. The Chasecam recorder has an aluminum bracket it snaps securely into... that bracket is bolted to a piece of aluminum I've made to fit the frame rails under the shock cover. All thats left is to run the wires for the LANC and the camera itself.

Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Quote Originally Posted by JakeL View Post
    Sean,

How do you plan to mount the Camera? Are you going to hard-wire the PDR100 into the car's +12v?

Also, how are you going to aim the camera? Do you have a MiniDV cam you can hook up for aiming, or something?

I've been looking into this exact setup myself, (the coneheads I run with love it, and I think it'll work great on track, too) so very eager to hear some first-hand impressions when you get the product, and when you get a chance to use it.

Cheers!

-Jake
    Here you go.
    I took some trashed aero suspension tubing (thanks GR) and welded up this bracket for the camera. I've got a housing from helmet-camera that holds the camera itself and it will be velcro'd to the mount I made. It will simply be zip-tied to the roll bar.
    The recorder has a wizzy bracket that I've bolted to an aluminum plate which I made to fit the chassis under the shock cover. All thats left is to run the wire for the LANC controller and the camera itself.

Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 648

Ovation stabilization system, Check this out!
    V/r

Iverson

Default Helmet cam

Has anybody had experience with this product? Should mount to a roll hoop too.

If you get results like the F18 sample video, it would be pretty good value, and durable looking too.

http://www.helmetcamera.com/

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Bbullitt01 View Post
    Has anybody had experience with this product? Should mount to a roll hoop too.

If you get results like the F18 sample video, it would be pretty good value, and durable looking too.

http://www.helmetcamera.com/
    I use this unit; the reality is while the quality of the camera is important, the recording is moreso.

I have vibrated the internals apart in mine and they were great to work with, repaired it simply for shipping costs.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Default PV500 - not that great

Hi All,

I happened on this thread while searching for an in-car DVR. I just do DE's and autocross, but I wanted a full data logger/video outfit to create in-car videos. I've been searching for a good affordable DVR solution for over a year now, and even after reading this thread I'm not sure if there's really one out there yet.

I did want to comment on the PV500 - the unit that started this thread. I purchased one of these last year because the specs looked great. However they're not correct. I only got 15 fps from an NTSC-sized video. The place that sold it to me gave me some grief, but eventually took it back because they were misled as well.

The bottom line is that we need a 30 fps NTSC (720x480) solid state recorder that records in MPEG2. Any quality less than this is unusable, in my opinion.

I think the ChaseCam does what I'm asking for, but at $500 it's fairly pricey. I need to look further into the Panasonic camera that was mentioned previously in the thread. This might be a good solution.

If anyone has found anything new since the last message, I'd love to hear about it. My first track event is about 5 weeks off.

Thanks!

-Jeff

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

If you have the space and it's not an open wheel (high spring rate) car, you can get Sony 8mm video recorder/players off of E-bay. I had a GV-S50 in my car. There are later models that the airlines used for personal video up in first class. Hundreds have been showing up on E-bay. Hi-8 quality, built in screen, you can modify the x-box car adapter to power it from the race car's 12 v battery. The Lan-c remote works with it.

However, they won't withstand the vibration environment of a formula car. It killed the I/O ports on mine, and while it still plays tapes, you can't put the video out to a big TV, a PC, nor can you run video into it, so ti's trash now.

You can see an example of the Aiptek MPVR+ and Chase bullet cam here under the Dean T entry.

http://trackvision.net/gallery.php

The Aiptek can be found for $100 and it is not much bigger than a cigarette pack. Slides in next to the seat in the FE cockpit. Battery lasts for 2 hours. 2G SD card records for almost an hour.

Yes, the Pro Formula Mazda was much faster than I........
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Cool video (and some other great ones in that batch as well...) but it's that "strobe" look that you get with 15 fps that turns me off. Call me a stickler, but I want that smooth video. That said, it's a heck of a deal for ~$100, and I suppose for most folks it would fit the bill nicely. I did come across a few other DVRs that seemed to have some nice stats. In particular, the Neuros "Recorder 2" is an MPEG-4 recorder that does 640x480 at 30 fps and is only $123. There is a grid of sample videos on the site that show different quality levels at different sizes, and the highest-res one looks really good. They make another DVR called the OSD that will record at "D1" resolution (720x480) but I can't seem to find any examples. This one is promising, but a bit more expensive at $225. Still half the price of a ChaseCam though. I'll keep looking... Jeff

We tried the Neuros and decided wanted a video screen to set it up and run it.
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Default Digital HERO 3

Hi Guys,

Just a quick note...you might want to consider this...the $139.99 Digital HERO 3 video camera. We designed it for sports, as a wrist camera but we're getting into motorsports. It is a miniature SD card based video camera (shoots 3MP stills, too) that will record 54 minutes on a 2GB SD. Actual framerate now is 20fps and we're getting up to 30fps soon.

The camera in the housing complete is 1.25" x 1.75" x 2.6" and weighs 4.5oz.

The camera itself, no housing, is about 1/8" smaller in all dimensions.

You'll get 2+hrs of video recording on 2 AAA NiMH rechargable batteries.

http://www.goprocamera.com

With the out of the box wrist camera/housing setup (which protects the camera) you can strap it to your roll bar (for cars with roll hoops) or you can dremel off the strap mounting points and doublestick or DUALOCK it anywhere on the car. Doublestick foam helps dampen sound vibration...but the camera has no vibration video issues...image is stable.

Our only caveat is that the mechnical vibration can overload the mic in certain situations because the mic was originally designed for non-motorsports. But as you can see from the videos here...it can be quite good:

More sample videos:
    http://gopro.vsocial.com

We're releasing a line of flat surface mounts with pivot adjustable quick release mini-plates later this year. And a heckuva a lot more on the way.

Here's a photo of our soon to be received F1000 that we'll be doing more testing on. We're racers...so expect a lot from GoPro soon. Thanks Guys!

http://www.goprocamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cinci330i View Post
    The bottom line is that we need a 30 fps NTSC (720x480) solid state recorder that records in MPEG2. Any quality less than this is unusable, in my opinion.
    See my post on Pg 2. The Ovation records at the quality you specify.
    Lee Tilton
    1984 Zink F500/600cc power
    2003 SCCA Gulf Coast Region AP Class Champion (FFR Cobra)

Liked: 1

I finally got to try out the Samsung flash card sportscam system at CMP. Check the video at the "in-car video" posting under General Discussion. I was pretty satisfied with the result.

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default Hero 3 camera

Anybody have contact information on the Hero 3 post above - can't get any of the email links from their site to work.

thanks,

JM
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Does anyone have a website for chase cam??

Liked: 1

Default Chase Cam

Quote Originally Posted by PMPerformance View Post
    Does anyone have a website for chase cam??
    www.chasecam.com
    Curt King

Rockwall TX

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger Racing View Post
    Anybody have contact information on the Hero 3 post above - can't get any of the email links from their site to work.

thanks,

JM
    Here you go Jay:

http://www.goprocamera.com/

I have to say for the price, the Hero3 cam looks very promising...Going to try it myself...
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Default Go Pro camera

Quote Originally Posted by -pru- View Post
    Here you go Jay:

http://www.goprocamera.com/

I have to say for the price, the Hero3 cam looks very promising...Going to try it myself...
    I picked one up, new in the box, on E-Bay for $120 including shipping. A few weeks ago, for the NJ regional at Pocono , I strapped it to the roll bar using the wrist strap that comes with it, and a safety tether (Tech was OK with the set up) My crew and I was very pleased with the results. I had to cut the picture quality to post it on U-Tube to meet their file size/ length limits but when I look at the video either on my laptop or directly via the USB cable adapter on my TV, the picture quality is very good, 30 FPS with audio. During one of my filmed runs the fuel pump switched off and I coasted off the track. On the video you can hear the fuel pump turning back on before the engine fired back up again, Luckily it didn't pick up my comments so the the clip can be shown to my family. The camera is waterproof too, it can be used a a dive camera down to 100ft which is another reason I bought it.
    On the way to the track, we stopped at Oakland Valley Go Kart track and ran the enduro karts for a few hours with the camera taped to the kart. It finished the day in better shape than I did.

For not much more money that the price of a camera mount, you can get a complete video outfit.

Your mileage may vary, not affiliated with GoPro, just a satisfied customer.

mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6idhFFIaCM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMoTu5rlEXg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEY4jcIDlzs
    Real race cars don't have fenders

Nice Jay!

Glad you had fun with the Digital HERO 3.

OK...we have not publicly released our patch with vast sound and video improvements...but I guess I am going to give the APEXSPEED crew early access to it.

The download link below imrproves the video 40% (smoother, smoother, smoother). And it adds a second sound setting to the camera (LO) for high vibration video applications like motorsports. The video is adjusted to 513x384 but if I didn't tell you you'd not notice the difference from 640x480. It still scales to full screen on a TV very well.

To see what the updated patch video looks like on a lap around Infineon Raceway in Sonoma strapped to a Formula Russell (school FM) you can see it here:
    http://www.goprocamera.com or bigger here http://gopro.vsocial.com

Here's a link to download the patch (6.85MB) and instructions: http://www.goprocamera.com/update/dh3-patch-v2.zip

Save the patch zip file to your C:\ drive root directory and unzip it there. That's where all the files need to go.

Follow the instructions and please email support@goprocamera.com if you have any questions and we'll get you squared away!

We've paid to sponsor this site and we should have some banners soon...thanks all!

Download the patch Jay!!! Then we can hear your Spitfire FIRE!!! -- GoPro

I also want to mention that in September we're releasing a line of quick release mounting accessories so that you can easily mount your Digital HERO 3 on your cars...and quickly move the camera from position to position...or onto your street car or kart or helmet, etc.

Here's an example of what the camera looks like in a "under bumper" drop down position. OK...it's not a bumper, but you get the idea.

The mount is bi-directional...so if you mount it on the roof you can quickly flip for front or rear facing view.

Thanks!

That's pretty cool.

I just bought one of these to try out, should be getting it on Friday. I will be using it for the first time at the June Sprints. My car (FSCCA) does not have any exposed roll hoops or anything, much like the Stohr F1000, so I am going to have to tape it to the bodywork or something. Do you have any ideas on the best place to attach it?

Tony

Go Pro,

quick aside, do you have more info on the sim?

http://gopro.vsocial.com/#73613

Liked: 10

Default Re: HERO 3

I am also curious about the word "sim". . .

This HERO 3 is looking better and better. . . I sent an email with some questions, and got a quick response, posted below. Two more questions I have thought of:

1) Is there a plug-in for an external mic? I know the unit is waterproof, so perhaps my question refers only to the camera, and not the housing.

2) I know that you can watch the videos on your computer, and since some are posted on youtube or some such, can be downloaded to my PC. What file format? Is this a format that is easily converted or used by common video programs?

Thanks!

email from GoPro:

>>Hi Chris!

Answers to your questions below in blue!

I assume that a smallish memory card comes with it. How long will a video last with this? I have a very bumpy car, and would want both (one) sound and highest resolution.

It comes with 16mb of internal memory...but that's only enough for 40 photos or 20 seconds of video. You want to get a 2GB SD card...Ultra II SanDisk card rocks. You'll get 56 minutes of killer video and sound with our new patch (check APEX SPEED for the link).

2) How long do the batteries last, roughly?

Use NiMH rechargable batteries. 2 AAA will last for just over 2hrs of constant video recording.

3) coming off the race track, gloves, camera on roll bar behind me - any way to reach back and turn it off (blind)?

Totally...the buttons are knobby. Without question easy to do. I drive FM and can reach up and do it from the seat (before strapping in) without looking.

4) Is there a way to get a wider angle lens for it? Normal video/lipstick cameras only tell 90% of the story in my sport. A wider angle would show why my head is turned.

We're working on it...but nothing in the near future. It's on our list for sure! It will be a lower cost accessory "add-on" camera. Once you're in our Mafia, we take care of our own with low cost additional upgrades, etc.

5) The memory chips. Where do you get them, and roughly how much are they?

2GB Ultra II is best...but standard SanDisk is good to. You can find either at Best Buy or Amazon.com for $20-50.

6) The only PC I own that isn't Win98 is at the office - sure it won't work on Win98?

NO...it won't! But you CAN plug it into a TV and watch it on TV. RCA cables are part of the USB cable.

Thanks!

No problemo!
    <<

Liked: 309
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    That's pretty cool.

I just bought one of these to try out, should be getting it on Friday. I will be using it for the first time at the June Sprints. My car (FSCCA) does not have any exposed roll hoops or anything, much like the Stohr F1000, so I am going to have to tape it to the bodywork or something. Do you have any ideas on the best place to attach it?

Tony
    Hi Tony,

Sorry for slow reply...was at Infineon racing this weekend!

Use dual lock or 3M VHB double tape (Very High Bond) to attach the housing anywhere you want on your car. The housing/camera is so light (4 oz) that it'll stay in place with a 3/4 x 3/4 pactch of VHB tape or dual lock.

Our most interesting results are as far up on the nose as you can get it or on the standard area behind the shoulder of the driver. Another GREAT place is in the radiator air-intake looking forwards through the front suspension. The view is suprisingly good.

Remember, you can always mount the camera upside down and flip the video on your computer later, if need be for easier mounting in a tricky spot.

If you don't plan on using the strap part, you can cut the strap mounts off of the housing using a dremel or wire cutters to make the housing even smaller...it is VERY small as is...but if you have a very specific little spot you want it in...this is always an option.

Please use the patch (mentioned above in this thread) and select the LO sound setting and you will get this quality video and sound (first video on our homepage): http://www.goprocamera.com

[quote=ChrisInAtlanta;140781]I am also curious about the word "sim". . .

This HERO 3 is looking better and better. . . I sent an email with some questions, and got a quick response, posted below. Two more questions I have thought of:

1) Is there a plug-in for an external mic? I know the unit is waterproof, so perhaps my question refers only to the camera, and not the housing.

There is no plug-in for an external mic. The sound is pretty darn good on our new LO setting, though. It's better than most other solutions and there is no wind noise, as-is.

2) I know that you can watch the videos on your computer, and since some are posted on youtube or some such, can be downloaded to my PC. What file format? Is this a format that is easily converted or used by common video programs?

We highly highly highly recommend http://www.vsocial.com for online posting/sharing of your videos. We are not affiliated with the company beyond the fact that we use them for hosting our videos because they are SO GOOD LOOKING. Process is the same/easy as Youtube, etc.

The file format is AVI, the most compatible of all video formats. It will work with any video editing program. And our compression is minimal...meaning the image quality rocks full screen on a 46" 1080p flat panel (our trade show screens if you happen to see us! :-)

We keep the videos small online for speed reasons...but be sure, the video looks GREAT on a big TV or projector.

Thanks! - GoPro

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Go Pro,

quick aside, do you have more info on the sim?

http://gopro.vsocial.com/#73613

Hi Dave,

That sim is GTR2 running on a FREX motion platform from Japan. The web address is http://www.frex.com/gp/

Works with a PC.

Total setup for a motion platform with pedals, wheel, shifters, etc. etc. delivered is about $5700. Spendy but hands down the most realistic racing sim we've ever tested.

We'll drive our GoPor Exige hard...then jump straight on to the sim to test the similarity. It is staggering.

If you are into sims...this is Nirvana. Exceeded our expectations by a lot.

- GoPro

Thanks GoPro. It does look great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information