Liked: 11

Default Why F1000? Here's why:

Tell me these cars don't get your blood pumping...

...even my old VD!

12,000+rpm, sequential shifting, and an inexpensive drivetrain that lasts! Show be a good show at the runoffs next year!
    Last edited by carnut169; 10.14.06 at 4:05 PM.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 553

I agree. Looks like a strong start.

I thought I read (in ApexSpeed? From Stan?) that F1000 would not be a Runoffs class in 2007. Am I mistaken?
    Last edited by RussMcB; 10.07.06 at 9:37 AM.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Guess it depends on the numbers... you've got a couple months after the ARRC.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 0

I totally agree. These cars are incredible looking and can only hope their performance can match their looks. Look for me in one of these bad boys in the spring.

Ken
    Ken

Liked: 77

One more time: F1000 cannot be at the Runoffs before 2008, even with great numbers in 2007. The 2007 numbers will determine which classes run in 2008. F1000 has no 2006 numbers, so it isn't eligible for 2007.

Dave

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Default rigid rules

Unless, of course, SCCA decides/is pursuaded to change their rule.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Default Incredible Looking?

Maybe this should fall into the "if you can't say anything nice..." catagory. But am I the only person who finds the current crop of F1 styled cars to be hideous???

A blank canvas and the best folks can come up with is yet another Ferarri clone?

Anteater noses, big overhead scoops, any proof that this aero works better? I'd think the trend of copying F1 only works well if the rules are sufficiently close to F1 - although who besides a real aerodynamicist would know what "sufficiently close" really is?

I think the current crop of Zetecs are some of the coolest looking cars ever. Sleek, low, and uncluttered.

By the way Sean - yours is the nicest looking of the three!

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

I agree with Rick. Pretty hideous IMO. That has no bearing on how fast they'll be though.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

I agree. I don't think they (Speads, Stohr) look very attractive, but that's a subjective thing. On the other hand, I'm sure they are a blast to drive and I'd buy one in a minute if I had the $$$.

I'm hoping that, if I convert my car like Sean's, it will be 90% as fast (and attractive :-) for half the cost.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Looks are so subjective.... (but hideous??)

I like the cars. I like the way F1 cars look as well... but I guess I'm easy as I like almost every race car I've ever seen!

To me this style of open wheel car is simply a progression of the style. Its similiar to the new FM, the FSCCA, etc. You want simple & elegant how about a Lotus 25- you could argue we've gone downhill since then.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

You want simple & elegant how about a Lotus 25- you could argue we've gone downhill since then.
    - And you would be right!

I had the pleasure a couple of weeks back at Laguna Seca watching a McRae, McLaren, and one of only three Eagle F5000's go at it. The McRae ran off and hid but the Eagle and McLaren were something to watch until the sound nazis disposed of the Eagle about 4 laps from the end. The Brabham BT-8 with a 2.5L coventry climax was a real looker and sounded beautiful as well. All pieces of rolling sculpture.

From Froggie's post elsewhere, it looks like Lee has produced a driver-friendly car. Maybe the F1000 flat bottom rules as written help us big-butted guys. I think the rear "fenders" are going to work real well, but if they do, will rear wings get even smaller?

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Yep, I meant hideous. And I agree about the Lotus 25. Any of the F1 cars up to the late 90's when the aero bargie boards etc. started appearing are gorgeous. Look at a BT-46, BT-49 or BT-55 and compare them to anything since.

Speaking of barge boards - I'm too lazy to look it up - I assume they are legal in Club racing vis a vis the bodywork rules?
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 1

Aero, Aero, Aero??? Function is art?? The smaller hole the nose punches the faster...84 Reynard vs 96 VD. Plus the raised nose gives you more usable wing area.
    The side pod cut in at that nasty angle to bring the used air to the center of the car to give you cleaner diffuser air. And the kick ups at the rear ala F1 and the new Panoz DP01 are to help calm the air over the rear tires.
    The newer F1 cars don't use the barge boards anymore to control the side pod air intake??? Maybe they use different pods at different circuts....as small as they can get away with.

Without the advantage of a tunnle..and these cars don't need one using proven designs..all you can do is use the wheel? You know you don't have to reinvent it? If you want a good looking racing car try a Tyrrell 006 ... but that GIANT air inlet 5' above the drivers head may give you a little drag??
    Last edited by Mark H; 10.09.06 at 6:52 PM.
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Lee, your car looks great!

William Gow

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner
    Maybe this should fall into the "if you can't say anything nice..." catagory. But am I the only person who finds the current crop of F1 styled cars to be hideous???

A blank canvas and the best folks can come up with is yet another Ferarri clone?

Anteater noses, big overhead scoops, any proof that this aero works better? I'd think the trend of copying F1 only works well if the rules are sufficiently close to F1 - although who besides a real aerodynamicist would know what "sufficiently close" really is?

I think the current crop of Zetecs are some of the coolest looking cars ever. Sleek, low, and uncluttered.

By the way Sean - yours is the nicest looking of the three!
    One must remember, speed and astetics are not mutually inclusive, nor are they mutually exclusive. Aerodynamics is in the eye of the wind tunnel.

Maybe only the sharpest guys will see how current F1 trends apply to our club rules. We are all racing cars close to the ground with four tires. Nobody in club racing can afford wind tunnels. This is going to be a great class.

We look forward to seeing everyone at the track.

Wayne Felch
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by WFelch
    Maybe only the sharpest guys will see how current F1 trends apply to our club rules. We are all racing cars close to the ground with four tires. Nobody in club racing can afford wind tunnels. This is going to be a great class.

We look forward to seeing everyone at the track.

Wayne Felch
    Stohr Cars
    Wayne, Don't kid yourself, wind tunnels ARE being used as we speak.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 30

Default Wind Tunnels

I'm really curious to what is being tested and in what wind tunnel. In my opinion there are relatively few Wind Tunnels in the US that are suitable for race car development and they are all expensive $10K per day or thereabout.

Wayne, Very nice job on your car. I like the looks. What is your aero background/training?

Ian

LeMike? You nearby? Here's an opportunity to remind folks about your A2 tunnel near Charlotte.

http://www.aerodynwindtunnel.com/
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Default Wind tunnels

Y'all remember Mr. Porter took one of his DB6s to the wind tunnel, right? I think it was written up in SprotsCar...

Steve

Ian,

Thanks for the compliment. We are making some small changes to the body. We literally had about 15 minutes to see it on the ground before we loaded it for Kansas. I wasn't completely happy with the nose. We will have final production car pictures available soon.

Wayne Felch

Few more recent shots...

Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 309

Default Sean's Rocket

Dang that car looks good, Sean...congrats!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 1

Default Aero Package

It's been interesting to see (and hear from some of you) the feedback on some of the announced cars for this new class. There appears to be a wide array of thinking on the design for these cars and whether you find them attractive or hideous, the fact is that it won't really matter once they hit the track.

I feel pretty strongly that you'll see changes in many of these announced cars before they actually go into production because there's a cruel reality looming when F1000 cars only have 170 horsepower and not 1000 horsepower found in the "cool looking" F1 cars that design cues are being borrowed from.

Our approach to this new class was to really focus on race-proven designs and a simple aero package. When we chose to look at outside ideas we did look at everything....F1, the new Champ Car, Indy Cars, Atlantics, etc, etc, etc., but the reality is we're only dealing with a car with a max horsepower of around 170. Our job was to not get enamored with the looks of F1 cars, and the like, but to focus on the reality of the envelope of which these cars will live.

Our new engineer, Dustin Wright, has done an excellent job and I feel the design we have begun construction on will be one of the top cars in this class. Dustin has degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering and has experience in the design and construction of purpose-built race cars.

I'm truly excited to get these cars on the track......

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Cars, Inc.

Liked: 16

Default aero

The old thinking in DSR was that little bike engines can't pull much drag. Remember when some DSR's didn't even have rear wings ? Times have changed. As we have added downforce to our Stohr DSR's the lap times have dropped by as much as 6 seconds a lap !
    Mark Jaremko's Stohr WF1 wouldn't even pull 130mph at the Runoffs this year, but he was 2.3 seconds a lap faster than the next fastest car, the factory West. When you come around the first lap with a 3 or 4 second lead, your speed on the straight doesn't really matter, does it? Race over.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

The simple answer to the original question is that people will choose what they want the most from what is available. Make something desireable available and people will choose it.

And it appears that a substantial number of people have chosen F1000, which is pretty neat to me cause it appears that a lot of exciting cars will come out of it.

Thread Information