Thread: New Stohr F1000

Liked: 0

Default New Stohr F1000

This looks to be a picture of Lee's new car. Apparently there are details on Stohr's website.

You say Obsession like it's a bad thing......

Default Wow

That is soooooo cool. This class is going to have some of the sweetest looking cars. Very cool!

Ken
    Ken

Liked: 11

Nice. Looks a bit like my buddy who plays hockey.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 16

Default Stohr F1000

We are in Topeka now for the SCCA Runoffs. We only got a couple photos before loading the trailer. More to follow soon. Thanks for the nice comments.
    I can put photos up quicker on the DSR Forum, the moderator Bill Maisey handles it for us.
    I don't know if anyone does that on this Forum, but we will add photos to our web site very soon.

www.stohr.com
    Last edited by Lee Stohr; 10.05.06 at 8:40 PM.

Liked: 5

The car looks great Lee. I'm sure Doug or Keith Carter would post more pictures if you sent them their way.

Default Pant! Drool! Pant!

Lee, taking applications for test drivers?

Dave
    Springstein, Madonna
    way before Nirvana
    there was U2 and Blondie
    and music still on MTV...

Bowling for Soup, 1985

Lee, if you'd like to email them to me I'll host & post...
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 3787

As the unbiased self-appointed Apexspeed roving HPT reporter i'm trying to work a special deal with Lee to let me test drive the little beauty this weekend during one of the lunch breaks, so that I can give all you guys the scoop ahead of the rest of the world. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it. I owe it to you dedicated readers.

Default Stohr

The display car is a rolling chassis. We hope to drop in the motor and test at Portland when we return. More photos are on the way.

Default and here they are....

Looks even better in these shots...

Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 115

Default Bring it back!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog
    As the unbiased self-appointed Apexspeed roving HPT reporter i'm trying to work a special deal with Lee to let me test drive the little beauty this weekend during one of the lunch breaks, so that I can give all you guys the scoop ahead of the rest of the world. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it. I owe it to you dedicated readers.
    A really good reporter would tow that thing home and bring it to the ARRC for further testing and demo's by expert drivers - like me!

Self appointed expert test driver.

Liked: 553

Mike, a request: See if you can get digital pictures of it without a body.

Thanks.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Who needs a motor? Just stand in the south paddock and stare at it and make imitation high ear piercing screaming sounds of 14,000 rpm shifts. hubba hubba

It's obvious at this point that all passers by thought I had lost whatever marbles I had. Luckily i snapped out of it before the guys with the white coats showed up...

I guess by now Lee is used to babbling idiots like me circling his new car and drooling.

And no, he will not take an newly painted 89 Reynard in on trade.

Lee,

Deposit in hand. Shoot me an email with the process.

Ken
    Ken

OK OK, I was all over the little beauty today.

Lee spent much more time than I desereved going over it with me.

Let's say one thing up front. Lee is in the business to sell cars. The more the better. He also realizes the vast majority of the buyers want a turn-key ride, not a do-it-yourself kit.

Part of the reason the car looks like it does is obviously for sales appeal. But, a lot of details on the car are the outcome of a few years of building dominate DSRs. Lee and staff does have some experience.

Sometime after the Runoffs they will start testing with Mark.

Much like the new pro-Mazda I had in my shop last year, this car is very roomy. Quite possibly GT1 Vette could fit. It is especially roomy in the hip area. Lee says he used the same interior cockpit dimensions as the DSR. Face it, a lot of potential buyers are middle-aged with the cash needed. No reason to build a car they can't fit into. A 135 pound teenager will need 2 beadseat kits to make a seat.

The car displayed is running their standard DSR wheel/rubber package. Without testing yet that was a safe place to start.

It also uses the tried and proven 'gearbox' diff combination from the DSR. It had a 48 tooth gear, the biggest they think anyone would ever want to run... and it still has room for the chain.

They have built it for a fuel cell up to 8 gallons. Rear bodywork should clear any engine combo.

Very well executed package.

Now my personal opinion, that isn't worth squat OBTW:
    I think the front tires are too wide to get enough heat into and they will have too much drag. Testing will tell. I think the front is going to need a bit more downforce... but maybe not.
    The wings just don't look like they will produce the downforce numbers those of us in FC are used to. But, I'm no aero expert. And remember, this thing has a lot of flat bottom... Lee may be getting the downforce needed from the bottom and not need such a big wing package.
    I'm thinking the diffuser is a bit 'overstated'. A bit too large a bellows from what i've seen work in FC. I was trying to figure out if the bottom wing element and the back edge of the diffuser would help each other be more efficient... Jury is out until testing.

And the rear 'fenders'... What can i say. If they work, next year everybody will have them. I don't think they are attractive, but, if those suckers work... they are beautiful. (form follows function)

Here's the thing. This is not going to be a spec class. If it don't work and somebody comes up with a better design then to the victor goes the spoils. Case in point. Radical 'saved' DSR, but Lee built a Radical killer, Radicals sort of stopped being in DSR. Lee knows that if any of his ideas don't work he will be rapidly be adjusting to be competitive.

Yes, if I had the money I'd probably rush to get in line.

Liked: 309

Here are a few pics of the Stohr F-1000 partially disrobed...

For those wondering, I checked the Stohr F-1000 diffuser and it starts right at the leading edge of the rear tires. The rest of the bottom appears flat as a glass sheet.

The cockpit is gi-normous. Lee was telling me yesterday that they fitted a driver 6'8" and 280 lbs, who was comfortable getting in and out of the car and who passed the broomstick test.

Any questions?

Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

i wish i was not going to australia for college next year and my father would be alright if i sold my FSCCA car and bought a F1000 i am currently at the runoffs racing a f500 w/ dolphin. i would love to drive one of these cars i just have to go to college. and people are pushing me to go to australia i want to go to a US college and still race. racing is my life. terrick and i are about a half second behind each other now in the fscca cars. there is alot of understeer in the fscca cars and i want to step up in to a faster car.

Thomas Donovan

Liked: 126

Go to college. You will be much happier later.

Mark Beckman

From the website;

"The new F1000 is eligible to race SCCA National events in 2007.
    With a car weight of only 775lbs, most drivers will be under the 1000lb weight rule".

Under ??

...then ballast would be added to meet min. as you see in lots of classes.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Mark Beckman

Default too serious

Quote Originally Posted by carnut169
    ...then ballast would be added to meet min. as you see in lots of classes.
    ..and you did notice the grin and oops 'smiley' in my post? (and thats a wink 'smiley' by the way)

Sigh, a little stick in the ribs just doesnt find the mark sometimes.

Ok you want to be serious, then the sentance in question is poorly written and could be misconstrued as suggesting something sinister besides the fact that the minimum 1000lbs weight is the car, not the car and driver as the sentance suggests.
    or
    The sentance can also read that most drivers weigh less than 1000lbs! and some dont apparemtly! (thats another grin by the way)

How about;
    With our stunningly low base weight of only 775lbs, strategic use of ballast (to meet the 1000lb minimum weight limit rule), as well as enabling an advantageous lower center of gravity, can also be applied to change handling charastics to suit individual tracks.

Dun need no stinken unglish to make good kar.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default ugly,unless it works.

Like the Frog sayes. But whats with the extra tall rear body/engine cover? Looks like a 1970's Formula 5000 car?

Default Ram air

Got to keep your head from blocking the ram air - it's worth 10hp at least

Default Sooo...

...as they say in another recent thread - depending on the time of year - What would be the best approach when adding 75# of ballast?

Dave
    Springstein, Madonna
    way before Nirvana
    there was U2 and Blondie
    and music still on MTV...

Bowling for Soup, 1985

Liked: 14

Default ram air

Lee you are right, looking at the cover pic of this years "Who will win?" , it is obvious that the boundary created by the helmet, in a way would affect the ram effect, but again, who was in the tunnel checking this variable? Is the airbox and/or the intake tract ready for photos, maybe after X-mas, can't wait to see the F1000 with an average sized pilot on board, maybe that is the missing link to the optical confusion created by the taller location of the air intake, best regards. JRM

Thread Information