Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Agreed. If it can't do at least 500 x 300 at 30 fps, it won't look right on a TV and it will look downright crappy on a PC.

Also have to keep in mind the video's usage. If you want to analyize your performance and need a glimpse of a tach needle, hand position, and where the inside front tire ends up, one might want to skip the MPEG stuff for now.

Liked: 157

Tim Wrote, "...The SV-AV100 is SD card based, I use a 2GB card on the 'Fine' setting which gives me 704x480@30fps in MPEG-2 "

Tim,

I got mine to work with a 'generic' 1GB card by loading new frimware. It sometimes does not want to support the MPEG-2 mode. So my question is, did you have to do anything special to get the 2GB working and did you use a generic (Sandisk for instance) card or a genuine Panasonic

Thanks

Steve

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Roux View Post
    I got mine to work with a 'generic' 1GB card by loading new frimware. It sometimes does not want to support the MPEG-2 mode. So my question is, did you have to do anything special to get the 2GB working and did you use a generic (Sandisk for instance) card or a genuine Panasonic
    Yep, Steve, you're right. You do have to flash the firmware to use a non Panasonic SD card. I use a SanDisk 2GB card and it worked after the flashing. However, you do have to buy a SD card that is fast enough. I think its 66x min will write fast enough for MPEG2 fine. The 2GB works fine with no issues once you flash the firmware and have a fast enough card.

For the 4GB cards, you too will need to flash the firmware & have a fast enough card, but the camera will not reformat the card. It can only format in 2GB partitions. However, I'm told it will work if you format the card on your computer for a single 4GB partition. Not a big hoop to jump through if you're taking the card out of the camera and into a card reader anyway (camera must be powered by electricity to USB to a computer...I just pull the card and use a reader so I don't have find power at the track).
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 9

After a lot of research to find an inexpensive, one piece, small camcorder that will take AV in from my bullet cam/mic, I found and bought an Aiptek MPVR+ for $105.

It is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, records 640x480 (MPEG-4)@30 fps. It also functions as a still camera and MP3 player if anyone cares.

The video quality is as good as many of the videos I have seen posted. If you don't need the highest quality, this is cost effective (almost disposable), and the user interface is easy. Plug in the bullet cam AV cable and push the red button when you are ready to go.

A 1 GB SD card records 48 minutes at 640x480. The battery lasts over 2 hours.

There is an emerging group of these "hybrid" camcorders becoming available. You can spend $165 and get a SVP HDDV-8800 with a little better quality.

I will post some video when I get a chance.
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Liked: 309

Default Got it: GoPro DH3...

After a considering a number of options, I purchased the GoPro Digital Hero3. First impressions / lessons:

~ Out of the box, it hard to beat this camera for ease of use. Within 5 minutes of opening the box, you can be shooting video (short 20/30 second clips with built in memory). Install the included batteries / briefly read over the instructions / shoot a test clip / hook up the included cable to a computer or TV to view test clip...

~ Included strap(s) / mount is fantastic. Attaches firmly to roll bar in less than a minute. Hooked it up to front grill of my Titan as quickly as well...

~ Plan on purchasing at least a 1GB SD card. Did initial testing with both 16KB and 512KB cards. 16KB yielded roughly 60 seconds. 512KB will get close to 15 minutes. I plan on buying a 2GB card but might go with a 4GB if I find that it is supported…

~ I feel NiMH rechargeable batteries are must. Had a number of issues with the camera recording to max card capacity until I updated to a fully charged set (2) of NiMH batteries. Bought a 4 back of AAA / charger to insure that I always have a fully charged set of batteries…

~ Followed all of the instructions, but as unsuccessful when I tried to apply the patch (http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...4&postcount=67). Waiting on response from GoPro. Really want to apply / try the patch as the testing I've done with camera attached to the front of the Titan overwhelms the internal mic. Patch it suppose to smooth the video as well, but I not displeased with results to date…

~ Need to learn the best methods to edit / share resulting videos. Playing with Windows Movie Maker to edit, but might switch to some else once I see / hear what is available. Wife recommend JumpCut to share, but again I might switch to another means based on experience…

Here's a video with my testing to date: http://www.jumpcut.com/view?id=6443D...27000423CF0184 The original AVI file is much better than this, but I'm not sure how to edit / post a better quality video...

More to come as I continue to test / learn...
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default has anyone thought of attaching some..

High density black foam around the GoPro 3 mic location and see how that works.

Just an opinion.. I know I did that with all my external mics on miniDV and it solved any problems I had.

Good luck.. and I think as an inexpensive but reliable in car or around car video source this camera will do the job great..

Great work..
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by -pru- View Post
    After a considering a number of options, I purchased the GoPro Digital Hero3. First impressions / lessons:

More to come as I continue to test / learn...
    We highly recommend a 2GB SD card. SanDisk makes the best cards, from our testing. Overall, smoothest, best video quality.

Pru, the patch is going to make the sound PERFECT. We just emailed you letting you know if you want, we'll update your camera for you if you mail it in to us. Same goes for anyone else buying...we can update it for you and then mail out.

Pru, your video is going to smooth out another 40% with the patch

Rechargable NiMH batteries are the only way to go...2hrs of video recording on 2 AAAs.

We're improving the patch instructions and will post soon.

Thanks to all racers...we're got several awesome mounts in the works and we appreciate your support and feedback as we further develop our GoPro products for motorsports.

Hi5 - GoPro

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Belling View Post
    High density black foam around the GoPro 3 mic location and see how that works.

Just an opinion.. I know I did that with all my external mics on miniDV and it solved any problems I had.

Good luck.. and I think as an inexpensive but reliable in car or around car video source this camera will do the job great..

Great work..

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for the support!

The foam around the mic won't work. The problem is that engines and rolling parts create massive amounts of low frequency vibration. This low frequency vibration overloads the mic because we had to turn the gain up to capture sound through the waterproof/shockproof housing for non-motorsports video filming.

But motorsports applications generate such loud sound that we added a new LO sound setting on the camera that is well matched to motorsports sound levels and can handle the low frequencies very well.

So, when videoing motorsports you choose LO for optimum sound recording (it's really good). And when you are videoing non-motorsports avtivities choose HI sounds setting and you'll get the best of both worlds.

Also important to note is that the LO sound setting eliminates wind noise wherever you place the camera...pretty swift.

Thanks again! - GoPro

Liked: 115

Default GoPro at Gold Cup

Just recorded my FV race at the 50th anniversary Gold Cup at VIR. Camera worked perfectly & was especcialy good at recording my arm waving and fist shaking at the Morris Minor who held me up for a lap and a half. It even caught me pointing to the corner workers so they would get out the blue flag. Jeez. Mine has the patch.

JG

Default question for GoPro

If we order the camera from your web site, can we specify to have the patch loaded at time of purchase?

That way we don't have to send it back to get the latest & greatest.

Well, I guess I should have read the post more closely:

"Same goes for anyone else buying...we can update it for you and then mail out."
    Last edited by rickjohnson356; 06.11.07 at 11:23 AM. Reason: dumb question on my part

Default JG: post the video?

Hey Rev:

Can you figure out how to post the video on Apex?

I'm sure a lot of folks would like to see it.

How do you verify where the camera is pointed to include the desired image area?

Quote Originally Posted by rickjohnson356 View Post
    Hey Rev:

Can you figure out how to post the video on Apex?

I'm sure a lot of folks would like to see it.

How do you verify where the camera is pointed to include the desired image area?
    I'll have to get help on that - the file is huge. As for pointing the camera - just SWAG. We just gave it a slight downward tilt and added some duct tape to the wrist mount that we wrapped around the roll bar to keep it from moving. Took all of 2 minutes.

Default VIR Gold Cup - Go Pro camera

Liked: 447

It's not up yet. It'll take a little bit for it to get the "ok" from the powers that be. Only problem with posting video on YouTube or Google Video is that they crunch down the video so that it streams well and takes up less space on their servers to it's not an accurate display of the quality the cameras are capable of.

BTW... There doesn't appear to be a cap on the file upload size on Google Video as there is on YouTube.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Default thanks

Thanks for posting it. image looks good and smooth.

At first I was wondering about the flag on your car, but it looks like the M Minor didn't even see it. I thought you had him a the oak tree, but then he seemed to come over on you! (again)

And it was aimed by swag---- good angle and view.

Default DH3 w Patch

Quote Originally Posted by GoPro View Post
    Pru, the patch is going to make the sound PERFECT. We just emailed you letting you know if you want, we'll update your camera for you if you mail it in to us.

Pru, your video is going to smooth out another 40% with the patch

We're improving the patch instructions and will post soon.
    After trading a few e-mails with GoPro, managed to apply the "LO" patch. Works great! Here's my lastest test: http://www.jumpcut.com/view?id=81724...423CF0184&type=

The video is "jumpy" compared to the first, but I think this is due to a looser mount (not straped on grill as thight as the first test...). Also sound is at the right level on the original but seems lost on this video.

Next test will be with tighter mount as well as posting to vSocial...
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Default VSocial version of mine

Here is the link to the same VIR Gold Cup video on VSocial:

http://www.vsocial.com/video/?d=91473

Better quality. Same race outcome. Couldn't figure out to edit my way to the win.

We just signed up to be a dealer. With the sound set to low and a good tight mount on the rollbar, we got a very good result.

jg

Liked: 10

Default Re: HERO 3

Quote Originally Posted by jgaither View Post
    WOW! Even at the lower size/quality that was posted, this was great video. What really impressed me was watching the driver's helmet bounce as he hit rough patches or track edge, and the picture was still excellent.

Camera + bigger video chip + NiMH batteries/charger = just over $200 for a great setup.

I'm tempted, but the lens is normal, and I really want wide angle. . . But man. . .

Quote Originally Posted by jgaither View Post
    Here is the link to the same VIR Gold Cup video on VSocial:

http://www.vsocial.com/video/?d=91473

Better quality. Same race outcome. Couldn't figure out to edit my way to the win.

We just signed up to be a dealer. With the sound set to low and a good tight mount on the rollbar, we got a very good result.

jg

Yeah, JG! Terrific looking video! And way to go posting on vsocial.com -- the quality is so much better than the alternatives.

Looking good on your car, too, PRU. You are right...a firmer mount will solve your wobble. Try http://www.vsocial.com for your video sharing, PRU...so good.

I can't wait to share video from our new F1000 that arrives end o' the month! But watching Gaither run at VIR makes me want to go retro. What a classic video, that is!

Thanks gang...terrific videos and thanks for the support. Fire any questions to me or support@goprocamera.com and we'll take care of you ASAP.

Hi5 - GoPro

Default DH3 w Patch ~ Loop around the sub...

A quick trip around the sub testing DB-1 gearing/shifting/brakes/camera:

http://www.vsocial.com/video/?d=95219

I would have loved to do more laps but I think the neighbors might have objected. Will have to wait until this weekend for more testing/footage!

Attached a shot of the car (from a week ago prior to completion) showing the camera mount. Note: exhaust in video is "open" vs. photo w SuperTrap...
    Last edited by -pru-; 06.23.09 at 1:34 PM.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 4

Nice Video .... If that would of been my neibhorhood, I would of been arrested 3 times...
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by -pru- View Post
    A quick trip around the sub testing DB-1 gearing/shifting/brakes/camera:

http://www.vsocial.com/video/?d=95219

I would have loved to do more laps but I think the neighbors might have objected. Will have to wait until this weekend for more testing/footage!

Attached a shot of the car (from a week ago prior to completion) showing the camera mount. Note: exhaust in video is "open" vs. photo w SuperTrap...
    Hi Chris!

Make sure you set the sound to LO in the SETTINGS MENU on the camera. This is optimum for motorsports applications and the sound will be good...it won't break up like it does in your video.

And try strapping it to your rollbar but not so tight. This should eliminate the wavy vibration problem you are having with your video...it shouldn't do that. With a looser (but still stable) strap it should not transfer as much vibration as that. Stoked to see what you get!
    Last edited by GoPro; 07.11.07 at 2:18 AM.

Default VholdR Anyone?

I saw this in my most recent issue of Cycle World. Anybody seen or used it? It looks pretty trick and is reasonably priced. They even have a rollbar mount!

http://vholdr.com/index.php

Upon further investigation, it looks like they are not currently available. Still, an interesting package.
    Last edited by sidney; 09.28.07 at 5:36 PM. Reason: Updated Availability
    Ian MacLeod
    "Happy Hour: 5:00 - 5:30"
    Tatuus F1k

Liked: 76

Look at this one. We have good video from our FST Car.
    http://www.sracing.com/Store/Other_S...tuff.htm#hero3
    butch
    butch deer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information