Thread: Mk 9 Problem

Liked: 7

Default Mk 9 Problem

Changing gears on MK 9 for 88' reynard, put gears in and when I tighten nut on top the axels and wheels turned, what did I di wrong?

Removed and positioned again and same thing happened, very frustrating, also on 4th gear does the gear go in with tabs toward front or back? i.e., the drawing in hewland manual shows then facing in toward engine.

Is the car locked in gear? Fix? I know have someone who knows what they are doing do it.

put car in gear top and reversae to take nuts off shafts, do I leave it that way when I take gears out or put back in neutral? That may be my problem, manual says to take out of gear, prep car formula tape I believe leaves them in gear until change is complete.

Thanks ahead of time!
    Johhny Reisert

Liked: 309

Default Reverse installation?

Johhny,

Once you "lock" the gear train, leave it as such until after tightening up the pinion and layshaft nuts.

That said, I had the same problem on my last gear change; top / reverse locked and drive train started spinning when I tried to tighten up the pinion and layshaft nuts. Took apart and found I did not have reverse gear installed correctly within the selector fork; reverse selector fork ridge goes into the reverse gear channel not outside of it.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 22

John, lock the gear train by pushing in the two outside selector heads. This engages reverse and the top gears so you can loosen and torque nuts. Make sure you disengage before putting on the rear cover.

I was wondering if you will be joining us at M.O. for the WOR Games? There is a good chance of a 15 to 20 car CFC field!
    Corey Collins

Liked: 68

Yes leave both selectors locked in through the process. However, I've sometimes had to unlock one or the other and slightly turn a wheel to get the gear stack to engage properly.

Also, I would suggest putting a long piece of masking tape or something on the selectors to remind you to put it back into neutral before closing it up. It's very annoying to have everything buttoned up and the box refilled only to find you have to open it back up......
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 7

Default mk 9

Guys, tanks for advice, put ork into reverse gear and viola it works,

Thnaks, Corey, will be MO , checks in the mail!
    Johhny Reisert

Thread Information