Thread: New FM Forum!

Liked: 447

Default New FM Forum!

Love 'em or hate 'em, they now have a home on ApexSpeed!!! Welcome to the Formula Mazda forum!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 0

Default good!

Now things are consolidating.

All we need is an FV section, then Apex Speed will dominate even more.

Liked: 1417

It has been talked about before, but there are existing FV thread-based forums out there, and we aren't sure if infringing on that existing community is something that we want to do. I guess it one of only a couple left, though, along with F500. Seems reasonable to assume that if everything was in one place, it would be better for everyone who races ANY formula car.

We had enough requests for a FM forum to test the waters. We got more lately... there must be something up with the existing FM forums that I'm not aware of.

If the demand for a FV forum here picks up, we are ready to add it in, as well, and really have a home for everything. I donno if those guys really want to move from a format they are already comfortable in to something new.

Liked: 0

Default web sites or cars?

quote:

I donno if those guys really want to move from a format they are already comfortable in to something new.

Just kidding, I was a FV guy a long time ago, when there were as many of them at a regional as there are SM today. ................The formula groups were usually one for FV and one for F(everything else).

I can understand about not wanting to muddy the web site issue. Right now they have a couple of palces to go, may not need another.

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Doug I guess it one of only a couple left, though, along with F500. Seems reasonable to assume that if everything was in one place, it would be better for everyone who races ANY formula car.[...
    I donno if those guys really want to move from a format they are already comfortable in to something new.
    Several of the F500 guys lurk here already, and lots of the relevant information gets passed over to the F500 list. There's a lot of inertia in that group, and quite a few of the members are not exactly 'early adopters' when it comes to internet technology. Although a F500 section would be great, I have my doubts that it would replace the existing mailing list.

That said, I for one would like to see a bit more cohesion between the open-wheel groups. My fear is that while we are bickering over F1000, Zetec/Kent/motorcycle engines, and whether or not F500 is a 'real' car, the tin-tops are winning the competition for mindshare with new entrants through Spec Miata and the various other new classes being proposed.

If we all worked together to develop a coherent class strategy with a cost/performance ladder that made sense and gave entry-level people an attractive open-wheel option, perhaps we could turn the tide.......

ApexSpeed seems to be the most likely forum for that effort.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Out of my own selfishness, I'd like to see ApexSpeed cover all of the amateur open-wheeled formula classes, but that isn't necessarily realistic. What can I say, I'm hellbent on world domination. Considering the other communities that exist now, in whatever state they might be, I know from experience how difficult it can be to migrate a community from one place to another—especially if it could be considered a "hostile takeover." That's not something we really want to do. Ideally, in a perfect world, there would be one forum community for everyone to use, but we're not there yet.

HOWEVER, I'd like it to be known, that should any site owner or administrator not want to continue managing or operating their existing forums for classes not featured here, we would be happy to continue their community here at ApexSpeed.com. It's worked out well for the old Formula Ford Underground, and would work well for any other community that currently exists.

d

Liked: 9

Default One possible answer

there must be something up with the existing FM forums that I'm not aware of.
    Gosh, I didn't think my whacky race reports and other off the wall rants would drive them away so easily. It's a jungle out here, didn't they feel safe at "home" with Coop and Todd Cook?
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 553

I think it would be great to have all open wheel road racers (well, I can think of one possible exception, one with NASCAR roots. :-).

The aspect I REALLY like about apexspeed is the high quality and generally considerate postings. If you spend much time on other discussion forums, you know how good we've got it here. As long as new groups continue that, I'm happy.

And knowing the FV, FM, etc. guys, they'd be great additions to our community.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Idlof
    Gosh, I didn't think my whacky race reports and other off the wall rants would drive them away so easily. It's a jungle out here, didn't they feel safe at "home" with Coop and Todd Cook?

I don't think it was the company, but I do believe there are a few people whoh are experiencing technical issues elsewhere.

I'm proud of how this community has developed over the years here at ApexSpeed, and all things considered, we have very little house cleaning to ever take care of, for the most part. It's always been a very adult and smart community, and I think people really appreciate that.

Hopefully, as things progress and grow, we can continue to offer a lot of options for all racers.

doug

Liked: 9

Default A couple of thoughts

While the EZ Board forum respondents and topics have always been comfortably mature, the volume is way down compared to the FM heyday. My theory is that:

1. many have moved on to the Pro car and apparently don't want to share secrets or trust answers to their questions.
    2. after the price drop, there are many owners (in our area for sure) who let the cars sit and only run infrequently. Out of sight, out of mind.
    3. responses to non FM specific questions are obviously more plentiful (and therefore better) here at Apex.

With that said, for technical advice, EZ Board will be remain unmatched as long as Todd Cook hangs in there and shepherds newbies and journeymen alike. And the Coopster also has excellent technical explanations and still comes by to entertain us frequently as well.

Like the class itself, it'll be interesting to see where this all goes.

But truth be told, I spend more time here at Apex than anywhere else. Great job guys.
    Last edited by Ted Idlof; 08.18.06 at 10:14 AM.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 3

I have always kind of wondered why we didnt have a FM section? Oh well now we have it........

Liked: 146

Are we really welcome at a forum where the 1st post of the 1st thread is "Love 'em or hate 'em..."?

Dale V.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Well, from experience, a lot of FC guys have a love/hate relationship with the FM on the track. Not specifically any drivers, but the cars are notoriously larger and heavier than an FC, and don't break nearly as easily as an FC. With lap times being so similar, but a definitive speed advantage in a straight line, the FMs have traditionally been an interesting mix with the FC race group (which is where the roots of this site are). There have been a few "rubbin" incidents with some long-time forum members in the past—and almost always, the FC loses in that match.

I think what you are interpreting as a caustic comment by my brother is nothing more than an inside joke to a few other FC drivers who have been on this site since it's inception. It wasn't intended as an insult to anyone.

No harm intended, we're all part of the same open-wheel community.

Liked: 146

No sweat. It just had to call out that curious forum curtain-raiser. Just another FM guy being a pain-in-the----.

Actually my only SCCA gig for a couple years has been the June Sprints, so I haven't experienced true multi-class mayhem for a while. I'm thinking of moving beyond FM and the Skip Barber cars, so I'll keep my computer peeled for an attractive deal here. Thanks for the reply and I'm glad I'm here.

Dale V.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Thread Information