Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked: 126

I'll attempt to clarify some things before heading to Lime Rock later today. If I'm wrong on these, then the rest of the F1000 gang can set me straight. Perhaps some perspective is due.

1) There were five relatively consistent members of the F1000 committee. Mike, Sean O, Ben, Sean M, and myself. All of us are at (at least) mechanical tinkerers. Mike is currently building a conversion, Sean O obviously pretty much completed his, I converted a RF96 to Hayabusa, Ben is currently building one (he also ran a Gloria F1000 type Blackbird Honda in the UK), and Sean M has experience running both FC and DSR. The point here is that we would typically not hesitate to manufacture pieces / alter our cars if the rules permitted.

2) The first and original discussions focused on the basics - philosophy of the class - and to leave the more difficult SIR proposal off the table for a bit. The goal all along was to eventually make it a National Class, but that we needed to go through the normal SCCA path to attain that - which means Regional First. We initially discussed a possible path for the class to join the FC cars in F2000 (especially if there is some consolidation with the FA, FB, FC, FD etc thing), but we were told by Dave Gomberg that there would be a lot of conflict with the FC people if that was the intent.

3) We then discussed the possibility that, given the HP to weight ratio of these cars, their performance would probably be somewhere between FA and FC. Frankly, I was, and still am, excited at the possibility of a car performing near an FA at significantly less cost than an FA and probably less cost than an FC. Given the higher possible level of performance, I pushed to allow stressed sheet metal on a tube frame chassis and even aluminum monocoque tubs. Rightly or wrongly, carbon tubs were always out of the picture because of the envisioned cost. So the original written proposals included allowing monocoque tubs. This was later removed. The proposal that we sent to the F/SR committee had an allowance for stressed sheet metal on the tube frame chassis, but there has been some kickback to this idea.

4) We always recognized that, for a new class to grow, that there must be new cars manufactured. We never discussed the cost to purchase these. That's up to the economics of the market, but we always kept "lower cost" as one of the goals. The lack of a carbon tub and the stock engines with transmissions were major keys to keeping the class relatively lower cost. Our envisioned build up of the class consisted of converted cars initially while the new car market would hopefully grow.

5) Our written proposal to the F/SR committee contained an allowance for the SIR, but that size was not determined. Our agreement on the F1000 committee was to provide a size that did not restrict the HP of a stock 2005 GSX-R1000 with Power Commander and race exhaust. We did not agree to what that HP amount was at the crankshaft.

In a nutshell, this is what was sent:

- Regional Class, (with intent to go National)
    - Stressed sheet metal on tube frame chassis
    - SIR, with size to not restrict 2005 GSX-R1000 - this was not written, but it was our F1000 committee agreement.

So - about "morphing"? What has come out of the F/SR committee has "morphed" our input! The stressed sheet metal chassis is now gone, and the SIR is set at 23mm, which will considerably restrict the 2005 GSX-R1000 engine.

Lastly, the discussions here with Richard Pare, et al, have helped to solidify the ruleset. Many of his comments have resulted in clarifications and reduced ambiguities. I already sent these recommendations to the CRB.

Now - off to Lime Rock...

I checked with Kawasaki, and they will sell new ZX-10R engines. Muzzy's has them. I did not check the other manufacturers.

Liked: 9

Rob, how many Kawaski engines are available, how long will parts and replacement engines be available, how many different engine manufactureres would you expect to be legal in F1000?

As one of the members of the F1000 committee can you help me understand the benefit of a car like the F1000 over something like the FSSCA car or a Zetec FC? If you just want to go faster that's easily done with an ECU change. My reason for asking is to understand why we need yet another class of cars. Should we draw a line in the sand and say after 2007 or some other date that FF, FC or FM just won't be legal or do we want 5 to 8 formula classes with 4 cars in each. You can already run this type of car in regionals as FS, do we really need a whole new class?

Liked: 11

Chas-
    I expect every 1000cc motor to be legal, but currently only thr R1, GSXR, and ZX10 are competitive. I suspect Honda's CBR will be joining those ranks soon.

Why F1000? For starters it should be a plave for mid-90's FC cars which are no longer competitive to run. Contrary to what is posted here the conversion is very inexpensive once the LD and Pinto are sold. Add to that the economies of engines that last several years and the low cost of replacement.

On the next level, 1000cc bike motors are as close as were are going to get to F1 technology. 150hp at 12,500rpm in a 1 liter motor is amazing, and fun! If Stohr, etc can build a F1000 at the price orig stated (25-30k) its a winner! FSCCA cars have sexy bodies but are slow compared to Continentals. Pro-Mazdas and FAs are out of most of our reach and unless you buy a new FC you probably won't win (Dave W aside).

Are we diluting the current classes or are they slowly dieing off on their own? I believe its the latter, and that F1000 adds a bit of gasoline to the formula car flame.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Quote Originally Posted by carnut169
    Chas-
    Why F1000? For starters it should be a plave for mid-90's FC cars which are no longer competitive to run. Contrary to what is posted here the conversion is very inexpensive once the LD and Pinto are sold. Add to that the economies of engines that last several years and the low cost of replacement.

On the next level, 1000cc bike motors are as close as were are going to get to F1 technology. 150hp at 12,500rpm in a 1 liter motor is amazing, and fun! If Stohr, etc can build a F1000 at the price orig stated (25-30k) its a winner! FSCCA cars have sexy bodies but are slow compared to Continentals. Pro-Mazdas and FAs are out of most of our reach and unless you buy a new FC you probably won't win (Dave W aside).

Are we diluting the current classes or are they slowly dieing off on their own? I believe its the latter, and that F1000 adds a bit of gasoline to the formula car flame.
    Sean,

The $25-30k is low. Here's Lee's post from the DSR forum.

Price for the first 10 Stohr F1000 cars will be guaranteed at $28,995 each. This is a rolling chassis, with Quaife differential, centerlock wheels, paddle shifter, CNC billet uprights and 'Stohr Spar'.

Note - that's for a roller, FOB Lee's shop. And only the first 10 cars. Add the motor which, as I have heard tell, could reach $13k for a prepped Arnie motor, plus all the ancillaries and you are rapidly approaching $50k.

Don't get me wrong! If that's what you guys want then go for it. Just be aware of the impact on the rest of formula racing. Don't sit back and say that putting gasoline on a smoldering fire isn't taking an active roll in the demise of FC. And, you haven't answered Chas' question as to why we NEED another formula car class. I understand your desire to be cool with a sequential box and high revving engine. That doesn't show a need, just a desire. And, as you so aptly point out, a good driver with good technical skills can win in an older FC ( I coulda said an older driver in an older FC . . . ) just as a good driver in an older FA (Bernie Sunier/DB4) can place well at the Runoffs. New ain't always better: nor is change always called for. And, racing is racing whether you are in a FF or a F1. You can scare yourself stupid in either one. Speed is relative. Just to be faster than FC or as fast as an atlantic is also relative.

And, you are assuming a market for one's iron head Pinto needing a rebuild and LD gearbox needing rebuild. Your own movement removes much of the potential demand for these items.

Obviously your mileage varies.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 16

Default F1000

Did my previous post about F1000 speed potential get lost ? No way will these cars be as fast as DSR's, and DSR's are 5 seconds a lap slower than Graham Rahals FA Runoffs performance last year.
    $13,000 DSR motors will not be allowed in F1000, the engine must remain stock in F1000.
    F1000 will have not more than 170hp at the chain. If there is an SIR, it will not restrict the engines more than that.
    This class is a no-brainer, it is very exciting, it is happening all over the rest of the world.
    It's about time the USA caught up.

Liked: 1

Steve,

The re-posed question about your vintage chassis was unfair, I'll admit, because I already knew what your answer would be. But you still haven't answered my questions about your stance on tube frame safety. Why not?

FYI, I brought up the VD Spec Formula car as an example of a car that was designed and built essentially to F1000 specs. Any correlation to performance indication based on this car in particular is purely your inference, as I made no mention of it. Whether or not VD tried to extract the maximum performance out of their package is frankly up to them, and none of my business. The mind set difference between rules writing and chassis building is not really germane to our discussion anyway, as you and Richard have already made it clear that your feedback and concerns about the rules come from thinking about it as an engineering exercise, which is to be applauded.

Besides, if a VD Spec Formula car that rolled off the assembly line yesterday isn't valid to point to as an example of a manufacturer with this kind of experience, how is experience with air-cooled Super Vees 25-30 years ago more valid?

Cheers,
    Rennie

Liked: 703

Where along the line did the engine cost become greater than the DSR engine cost? If the projected cost for an F1000 engine is $13,000 then we (the F1000 committtee and the F/SRAC, including Charles) have made a huge mistake. The F1000 committee stated in the proposal that the intent was to have stock or near-stock 1000cc motorcycle engines. I feel it's a responsibility of the F/SRAC to strive toward that intent, even if the original rule package only came close. I know that some of the revisions done by the F/SRAC after submittal do that, but if the price of entry is still $13,000 we need to do more. We tried to resist this, but maybe the rule should just say "no modifications are permitted, engines must remain stock." It now becomes a scrutineering nightmare but it's pretty black and white in my feeble mind and accomplishes what we originally intended.

Why do we NEED another formula class? Why do we NEED FC? Why do I NEED to race at all? Why does a guy NEED a vintage F1 car? None of what we do on the weekends is even remotely rational. If we don't NEED a new formula car class, it will remain a regional class and possibly relegated back to FS. That's why the SCCA has those pesky participation requirements.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 1397

Rob:

I understood the F1000 as you outlined it. That is not what I see now. However Rennie insists that what we have now was always intended. Thus this discussion.

Richard and I thought that the business we would be interested in was supplying parts that enabled people to convert cars them selves. In particular the rear drive/suspension assembly. In the FC range we thought that we could supply a single unit that would replace the bell housing and transmission from a VD and bolt the whole thing inplace. We pictured a price something between the Quaffe unit Taylor sells and a new Hewland LD200. In volume we thought the unit might go for $3.000 to $4,000, maybe even less.

For that to have worked, the rules would have had to contain the same restrictions a FC/FF.

What we have is a brave new world. We don't really know what it will take to win or what will be "legal".

As to your idea of tube frames with stressed skin panels, Richard and I opposed that. I was racing when the stressed skin rule was first written. The rule came from a protest of a Bobsy FV but Zink had started the issue. I was racing an Autodynamics at the time. There was no way to determine when you had a stressed skin vs a monocoque. Example: I take a monocoque and instead of lapping the panels and rivit the joint, I rivit each panel to a tube instead. What do I have? Or when do I cross the line. The motivation to exceed the intent of the rule is that I can translate increased chassis regidity into more mechanical grip and a monocoque is the best way to do that.

I have build monocoques(Z14), stressed skin reinforced tube frames (Z15 -- a DSR infact) and tube frames(Z10 to the present Zetec FC). A stressed skin tube frame is the worst way to go. You save no time or money over an aluminum monocoque. Infact, it is harder to fit a panel around a tube structure and rivet them in place than it is just rivet two aluminum panels together. We rivet and bond the belly pans to our chassis and it has become ever more complex as the performance of the car increases. It is a job that has to be repeated every year or so. Aluminum monocoques do not have a very long service life and were more expensive to build than tube frames. Don't bother to argue with me on this point. Top teams replace or rebuilt tubs after so many hours, frequently twice a season. Yes you can run tubs until all the rivits sheer or all the layers delaminate and then scrap what is left.

Finally: as a manufacturer what you want to see is very tight and precise rules. A scratch built, new design F1000 will cost $100,000 min for the first copy if you add up all the tooling, molds, and fixtures to build more than one car, not to mention design time. If you don't interpert the rules correctly and some one comes along and builds a "legal" car that has an advantage over your car, then you have waisted your time and effort. Example: the evolution of tunnels on DSR's. Stohr could deal with that because he was in charge of the technical advance of the class. On the other hand I was out of the FSV business because I could not afford to start over when we went to F3 chassis. I have lived through the new car game more than once, FC being that last.

Unfortunately I don't think that the F1000 rules will be tight enough. But we will see.

Roger all Steve - understand.

But I don't understand Charles at all...

Is F1000 potentially treading too close to FA?

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Clayton
    Steve,

Besides, if a VD Spec Formula car that rolled off the assembly line yesterday isn't valid to point to as an example of a manufacturer with this kind of experience, how is experience with air-cooled Super Vees 25-30 years ago more valid?

Cheers,
    Rennie
    What are we talking about? My analogy of 30 year old experiences is still valid. It was not about 30 year old cars but about underestimating the performance potential of F1000.

I think Lee is wrong but about the performance potential.

In any event we are all blowing smoke. No one has a state of the art car on the track. But I hear that Lee will set it all streight when he gets his car done.

Liked: 0

$13,000 DSR motors will not be allowed in F1000, the engine must remain stock in F1000.
    F1000 will have not more than 170hp at the chain. If there is an SIR, it will not restrict the engines more than that.
    This class is a no-brainer, it is very exciting, it is happening all over the rest of the world.
    It's about time the USA caught up.
    I hope Lee is right and I totally agree that for some reason in North America, we seem to hang on to old technology as long as possible. We always seem to lag our east-atlantic friends. This is not only true of race cars but of a lot of industries (the one I work in is a prime example). Europe always seems to be ahead of those of us on this side of the pond. I still think the no brainer part comes in when you position the class such that the cost is less than what is currently available today. There are too many options already available when you spend more than $35k. I look forward to the release of the rules and getting down to finializing my design things accordingly.

Ian
    Ian MacLeod
    "Happy Hour: 5:00 - 5:30"
    Tatuus F1k

Steve,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lathrop

However Rennie insists that what we have now was always intended. Thus this discussion.
    Dude, what's with mis-attributing things I say? First, I apparently advocated FA levels of expenditure, and now I'm dictating the intent of the F1000 working group? Huh? What I actually said was:

regardless of "philosophy", the actual rules and ideas bandied about don't support the notion that we were essentially trying to create an FC-equivalent car, without the headache of trying to combine it with FC straight from the get-go.
    See the difference? It means, regardless of what the implicit or explicit intentions were, the actual decisions made and taken led us, inexorably, here, to where we are now. The statement assigns no intent. It's a nice deflection away from my questions about tube frame safety, which remain ignored.

I happen to agree with you about Lee's assessment of the performance potential of F1000. I understand that he will have his new F1000 car on display at the Runoffs, so we'll get to take a gander at one shortly.

Cheers,
    Rennie

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav
    Roger all Steve - understand.

But I don't understand Charles at all...

Is F1000 potentially treading too close to FA?
    Rob,

And you never will. We are coming at this from two different perspectives and one of us has a great deal of time and effort ($) involved in it. I couldn't care less if the car is faster than atlantics. I don't think this move is in the best interests of SCCA formula car racing and it's my responsibility as an F/SRAC member to say that. There are too many personal sacred cows in this fight, from racers who already have F1000 compliant (?) cars to manufacturers who have a financial stake in the writing of these rules. I also think there's a lot of pie-in-the-sky sticking of heads in the ground. My opinion.

The direction this class is going does not fit the original stated intention of the Think Tank regardless of the assertions that it was assumed there would be changes and manufacturer involvement. You want an open class then write the rules that way and suffer the consequences.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

I happen to agree with you about Lee's assessment of the performance potential of F1000. I understand that he will have his new F1000 car on display at the Runoffs, so we'll get to take a gander at one shortly.

Cheers,
    Rennie[/quote]

Sorry about that. I believe you were advocating carbon tubs or was it Stan? It was your association with that position that lead me to believe you were at the FA end of the advocates.

My interest as a manufacture would be best served if the FC and F1000 chassis were the same. F1000 will do nothing positive for FC. And as proposed the F1000 will require an all new chassis so my work for the last several years will be for FC and nothing else. Unlike all but a few on this forum, I do have a stake in this fight and I see it as less valuable than it may have been.

But that has been the history of having a business that is dependent on the whims of SCCA. Always remember that this is the amature "SPORTS CAR CLUB OF AMERICA". Formula cars do not appear in the title. Infact many people in power in the club would like to see formula cars gone.

I believe that SCCA enterprises was established to protect the membership from the greedy capitalist pigs that sold and serviced overpriced, inferior racing products. The same pigs who brought you FV, F500, FF, FC, and FA. Secret: the same ones who wrote the rules.

Default f1000

How can a F1000 car with 170hp be faster than a 190hp DSR with tunnels ?
    The F1000 car weighs more and has more aero drag due to the open wheels.

Steve,

Given the performance potential, I do feel that composite tubs are warranted in this class from a safety perspective. Safety standards for composite tubs are codified very well by the FIA, and as a result you know that a composite tub will be safer than the current oversight-less approach taken to tube frames by the SCCA. This stance is pretty much identical to your own position, near as I can tell. This is why the FIA has safety standards for F3 level performance, right? How this makes me an FA advocate, but not you, I guess I'll have to suss out for myself.

Take performance back down to the FC notch, and tube frames seem reasonably safe to me, at least to the extent that I would drive one myself. I'll be honest here - driving a current tube-frame DSR at those impact speeds really kind of gives me the willies, especially with regards to the frontal impact aspect.

F1000 will do nothing positive for FC, unless it becomes a subset of the FC classification. That's my opinion. All this talk about wanting FC-type performance, but with a motorcycle engine, just muddies the waters. If it walks like a duck (FC), talks like a duck (FC) and looks like a duck (FC), then it is a duck (FC).

Cheers,
    Rennie

Liked: 3

Default Carbon tubs in club racing

They aren't always safer. Pro teams replace their tubs each year. This is why:

Lee,

Your championship winning DSR didn't have anything close to 190 hp at the rear wheels, more like 165 hp. It also weighed more than 1000 lbs, more like 1040 lbs. That is a weight-power ratio of 6.3 lbs per hp. In qualifying, your lap times were in the mid 1:21's, easily 3 seconds faster than a typical FC.

At the Runoffs last year, I had about 145 hp at the rears, and weighed in at 980 lbs. That is a weight-power ratio of 6.8 lbs per hp. In qualifying, my lap times were in the low 1:22's, easily a couple of seconds faster than a typical FC.

An F1000 car will have 170hp at the rears, and weigh in at 1000 lbs. That is a weight-power ratio of 5.9 lbs per hp. Also, I believe your DSR "tunnels" would be perfectly legal within the F1000 rules, or would require only minor modification, so that's kind of a wash. Y'all can do the math from here.

Sean,

Everybody panic, right? For every anecdotal picture like that, you could drag out literally thousands more that show carbon tubs which have remained in serviceable, safe condition for tens of years of competition. My Ralt RT-41 is among them, and I credit it for allowing me to be here and ambulatory today after my crash at the Runoffs in '03. I feel that a tube frame would have crumpled around me under the same circumstances.

Cheers,
    Rennie

Default f1000

Rennie,
    No way will a F1000 have 170hp at the rear wheels ! Where do you get that?
    My horsepower numbers are ones I've personally seen at Loynings.
    A stock F1000 engine will have 20hp less than a top DSR. My numbers are always at the chain on Loynings engine dyno.
    The fastest FA at the Runoffs last year was 5 seconds or something faster than DSR.
    Stohr WF1 DSR tunnels will not be legal in F1000. Nothing even close will be legal. F1000 can have a rear diffuser like a FC and that's it. The floor can be a little wider, so there can be a bit more downforce than a FC. But the drag of the wider tires will really hurt.

So I still say, how can a F1000 get anywhere close to a FA, let alone a DSR ?

Liked: 11

Lee- You and I agree (seems like we are the only ones) on the performance of an F1000. Strange, the builder who dominates DSR and the only guy w/ an actual F1000 seem to agree...

Why on earth would a restricted stock motor make more hp than an unrestricted built motor? How could a car with loads of drag be faster in a straight line or one with no tunnels corner better? Where do you see tunnels being legal?? Come on guys, lets be reasonable.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Lee,

Where do I get that number?

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav

Our agreement on the F1000 committee was to provide a size that did not restrict the HP of a stock 2005 GSX-R1000 with Power Commander and race exhaust
    That engine puts out 165 hp at the rear tyre on a bike with 100 miles on the clock, so I don't consider it outside the realm of feasibleness that it will put out 170 hp at the rear tyres in a car after blueprinting with a proper exhaust, intake and fuel injection map. I've seen dyno numbers for hot horsepower DSR's too - 190 hp at the rear wheel. 20hp less than that (your number, not mine) is... well... 170 hp.

As to "nothing even close will be legal" - move the start of your tunnels back 6 inches or so, and you're now well within the restrictions of F1000's stipulations for the controlled area ahead of the front of the rear tyre. Tell me you'd still call that FC-style diffusors - as you've belatedly found in DSR, you really will have the HP to pull the extra drag. The wider tyres are allowances, they are not stipulations. If they will slow the car down, you are free to use narrower ones, so you can't tell me carte blanche that they will help to slow the cars down. In fact, if you really wanted to slow these cars down, you'd stipulate a minimum wheel width of 14" at the rear, like FA!

I believe Richard Pare already explained the difference between having the cornering and braking performance potential of an FA, vs. having the same lap time potential. Go back and read it, it's very good; I will not rehash it here.

Sean, with due respect to what you have been able to accomplish with your conversion, you are a sample size of exactly one.

Cheers,
    Rennie

Lee:

Interesting. You are extrapolating from what you know, DSR and coming to the conclusion that F1000 will be slower than DSR and just slightly quicker than FC.

I look at FC and see all the handicaps that car has and still goes as fast as it does. I see 190 lbs. less weight, a big drop in the CG, a lot more hp (30 to 40 hp), a big increase in down force with little or no increase in drag, and come to a different conclusion. I think the cars will be significantly faster than a DSR.

It should be fun to see who is right.

If you are right, then I am covered for F1000, otherwise I need an entirely new car.

. If it walks like a duck (FC), talks like a duck (FC) and looks like a duck (FC), then it is a duck (FC).
    And it could become a dead duck (FC.)
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Default f1000

Rennie, So do we agree that F1000 will have 20hp less than DSR?
    Steve,
    I think it is much easier to extrapolate F1000 lap times from a DSR than a FC. Remember I built both DSR's and FF2000's.
    Don't forget that bike engines have only 85ftlbs or torque, vs 140 or whatever a FC has. Also, cooling needs of a bike engine are much greater, you must have a large oil cooler on a bike engine because the transmission and clutch run in the engine oil. So the sidepods will be bigger, and aero drag will go up.
    Bike crankshafts are much higher than a car engine too, so CG is not great.

Default Performance

Well I guess it's time to step back in here....

I'm pretty confident that with a stock motor and ECU the SIR rules as they are being proposed will limit the engines to 140hp-145hp max.....and some motors would be more in the 130-135 range. The SIR seems to cause issues at the 10K RPM mark and then the computer freaks out and goes into "safe mode". Future testing will see what changes can be made to "work around" the SIR, but my gut feel there really isn't that much that can be done if we leave things pretty stock.

This is limiting the HP to FC levels (or even below) so I don't see any issue with tube frame chassis.

If people want to try to turn this into a MC-based FA class....please go run FA. We don't need full carbon tubs, million dollar haulers and teams of like-shirted engineers in F1000. For christ sake, this is a Regional only class and the founders wanted to find a way to revive their old FC's and go have some fun racing. Let's at least keep it that way for a few years to build the class and let manufacturers build cars if they can meet the spec....not have manufacturers trying to alter the spec to meet their needs.

I am committed to offering a car in this class by early 2007, but if the direction is towards the same type of spending race that DSR is in....count me out.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Cars, Inc.

Lee,

Will F1000 have 20hp less than a hot-horsepower DSR? Yes. Will it have 20hp less than your National Championship winning car, specifically? Not a snowball's chance in hell... in fact, an F1000 may have slightly better power.

And don't forget that you trotted out the 85 lb-ft argument with regards to whether or not tunnels would make your DSR faster...

Cheers,
    Rennie

Default f1000

Diffusers in a DSR can start at the firewall. In F1000 they start at the leading edge of the rear tire. Big difference. Yes, in F1000 you can use up the 1" deviation in various ways, but that's insignificant compared to the almost total freedom of DSR.

Rennie, I think you are saying that at MidOhio last fall our engine was not putting out max power due to the airbox issue. That's true. But at the June Sprints it was putting out everything it had. And John Hill was 6 seconds slower than the Atlantics, and there was no Graham Rahal there running Atlantic. So I still don't see where F1000 cars will be anywhere close to an Atlantic. I do agree with you about carbon tubs though

Liked: 3

Default Lighten up Francis

I think this whole thread has become acrimonious and unproductive. I am VERY tired of all the negative BS.

Matt C. - Amen brother, you and I see things the same.

Rennie - No need to "panic" ... relax dude, I was pointing out that carbon tubs have their faults too, UV damage and delamination among them. They are not well maintained or repaired by newbees. (Shoot look at the SCCA view on belt life. Imagine what happens the first time a lawyer writes suggesting a every 3 year retub...)

170 hp at the rear wheels "more than DSR"??? (where do you get that from a stock restricted inlet engine?) You may want to market these to the $$$ DSR crowd if you know the secret.).

Finally, isn't "crumpling" what we want a car to do when we crash? Talk to Alex Zanardi and Stan Fox... I hit the guardrail at Rockingham a few years back in my Reynard FC at over 90mph head on. The crumpling crush box and space frame probably saved my @ss.

Charles - Crippe man, take some Prozac, it helps, really. We set out to define a set of rules to build a 1000cc subset of FS that people could build to. If it takes off as a concept it MIGHT become a National class in what, 3-5 years? If it takes off it will deserve the status, otherwise it will wither on the vine as a regional only class. Does the Summit Point IT Pinto class threaten you too? :0

Lee (and Matt) - Build that <$30k car and we will come...

You guys are sucking all of the enjoyment out of this thing. At best this is a hobby, take a chill pill.

"This is fun. This is fun. This is fun." Common say it with me now...

Sean

Default f1000

Hey, I resemble that 'like-shirted engineeers'
    Don't worry, when photos of the new F1000 cars start appearing, the nitpickers will go away and the fun racing will start !!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Maisey
    We set out to define a set of rules to build a 1000cc subset of FS that people could build to. If it takes off as a concept it MIGHT become a National class in what, 3-5 years? If it takes off it will deserve the status, otherwise it will wither on the vine as a regional only class. Does the Summit Point IT Pinto class threaten you too? :0

Lee (and Matt) - Build that <$30k car and we will come...
    Sean,

We are finally in agreement. A subset of FS. I don't think that's where the philosophy is going now. Three manufacturers considering (two now committed - see Matt's post) making full fledged cars to state of the art criteria, some people talking about carbon and aero packages, double-adjustable shocks, and kit cars to several different levels of completion (great idea), etc. Doesn't sound like the amount of energy that would be spent on regional FS racing, does it? I agree with you. Build it for under $30k all up fully ready and it might sell, but it seems that number is somewhat low.

As you must know, however, the old methodology of attaining national status through regional numbers is out. The CRB retains the right to instantly promote any class. I guarantee that is on the mind of some involved in this process.

BTW, the IT Pinto class doesn't threaten - but IT in general, conceived as a never-to-be-national-class entity, in spite of all the guarantees to the contrary when it was devised and instated, did indeed become a national class to the detriment of Production/GT classes. And, the touted $5,000 ITS Z-Cars rapidly became $35,000 (1980 dollars) IT cars.

To paraphrase Churchill (I believe) - If we don't learn from history we are doomed to repeat it.
    Last edited by Charles Warner; 08.18.06 at 12:31 AM.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Liked: 977

Default on notice

Rennie - No need to "panic" ... relax dude, I was pointing out that carbon tubs have their faults too, UV damage and delamination among them. They are not well maintained or repaired by newbees. (Shoot look at the SCCA view on belt life. Imagine what happens the first time a lawyer writes suggesting a every 3 year retub...)

I don't believe anyone needs to write in making such a suggestion. SCCA and every other sanctioning body is now on notice of potential issues with composite tubs following the recent article in Race Car Engineering. How they address it will be the interesting question don't you think?

Cheers,

John (one of those "like suited" damned lawyers!)

Liked: 0

Default Email to CRB

No matter how much we converse back and forth if you don't let the BOD and the CRB know your feelings, it won't matter. I realize that some are on the CRB or SRAC, but unless you
    directly email the CRB you may not be heard correctly. After spending 8 years on the CRB, I know that emails driectly to them with your feelings will do more to influence them , than 100's of emails back and forth. As I used to say; Press the button to copy the CRB.
    Bob Lybarger/Lybarger Racing/LRE/Director Area 5

Default What will the Power be??

What is really needed are horse power numbers that we can make valid comparisons.

Lee: when you quote power at the sprocket, is that driving the dyno in the same maner as a crankshaft? Has Arnie run your DSR and an FC on his chassis dyno?

If Matt's numbers of 140 to 145 are representivite then power will be fairly close to FC. That is a much better power range.

Will all the engines react similar to the SIR? Or might a lower powered engine run relatively better?

Has anyone perssurized the air inlet to simulate the a car at speed?

Again it will be a brave new world.

Default f1000

Sorry I've been busy today.
    I find this Forum much harder to use and navigate than the DSR Forum.

My horsepower numbers are at the engine sprocket which is connected to the engine dyno like a flywheel would be on a car engine. So 170hp at the sprocket is less than at the bike crank. Don't know how much. We can start calculating losses and discuss this and that, but the fact is that a F1000 engine will make 20hp less than a DSR. I don't have back to back chassis dyno numbers for DSR and FC. It's complicated to compare them, the FC has way more torque, different rev range, etc.

I think it is very difficult to try and compare a 2liter FC engine to a 1liter bike engine.
    I just feel it is much easier to estimate F1000 lap times starting with a DSR which already has a bike engine.

Let's look at Road America. The Pro FA qualifying lap record is 1:59.7 set in 2004. The DSR qualifying record set this year by John Hill is 2:08.1. Let's assume Hill left a bit on the table, since it was his first time there. Assume DSR's will eventually get down to 2:06. Since F1000's will not be as fast as a DSR, let's say F1000's will do 2:08's. FC's this year did 2:13 in the race. So I would put money on F1000 being 8 seconds slower than FA, and 4-5 seconds faster than a FC.

As I said before, compared to DSR, F1000 will have 20hp less, a bit more weight, more aero drag,less downforce and less cost. That's why I estimate they will eventually do 2:08 at RA.

Just a guess.

Liked: 553

Apologies up front for non-F1000 content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stohr
    I find this Forum much harder to use and navigate than the DSR Forum.
    Lee, I don't know if this will help, but this is what I do: I enter Apexspeed at the "New Posts" screen*. In fact, it is my browser's home page. :-).

If you have the correct setting, you get instant email notifications whenever people add replies to a thread you've previously posted in. This setting is in User Control Panel - Edit Options. Are you getting email notifications when someone adds to an F1000 thread?

If you want to "monitor" any thread, you can use "Subscribe to this thread" under the "Thread Tools" drop down menu.

I really like how the email message includes the text of the new post. I hate having to follow a link to see if I care about it.

HTH.

Russ

* http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Lee;
    Thanks for the info. The nice thing about the bike numbers is that it is hp available to the chain that drives the wheels.

I am looking at the other end of the performance envelope. I think that the cornering potential of the F1000 will be very high. Consequentally the exit speed and average speeds on streights will be the same or better than DSR. That is only a guess. I think FC's are quicker in the corners than DSR's and the F1000 will be significantly better than an FC.

The top speed of a DSR is stunning. It may be that the F1000 will not come close to the same speed. At Elkhart, I can see the F1000 going from corner 8 to Canada flat and reaching top speed shortly after the kink. The acceleration will only be limited by shifts.

Again, it will be a brave new world.

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stohr
    Let's look at Road America. The Pro FA qualifying lap record is 1:59.7 set in 2004. The DSR qualifying record set this year by John Hill is 2:08.1. Let's assume Hill left a bit on the table, since it was his first time there. Assume DSR's will eventually get down to 2:06. Since F1000's will not be as fast as a DSR, let's say F1000's will do 2:08's. FC's this year did 2:13 in the race. So I would put money on F1000 being 8 seconds slower than FA, and 4-5 seconds faster than a FC.

As I said before, compared to DSR, F1000 will have 20hp less, a bit more weight, more aero drag,less downforce and less cost. That's why I estimate they will eventually do 2:08 at RA.

Just a guess.
    Lee - this is a great postulate, and seems pretty resonable.

Now, the question is....is this the right performance 'niche' for a new open-wheel class?

I've sat back and lurked for the past little while (while deciding what car/class I'll be driving next year), and I see a pattern developing in the posts.

One group thinks that F1000 as written and submitted by the FSRAC is too fast, and thus too expensive/unsafe/etc. The 'other side' thinks that this is just what the doctor ordered - that there is a market for a slightly less expensive upgrade to FC. The truth is generally somewhere in the middle, right?

Here's the trouble with viewpoint 1 - if you open the rules up to FC with a bike engine, you can still build a new FC with a $10K built bike engine and SIR. If you took the FSCCA or a current Van Diemen FC chassis and replaced the engine/tranny with an SIR-equipped R1 engine (built by a top-shelf builder) and a chain-drive quaiffe, what do you think it will cost?

Yes, you can build a F1000-compliant car for less money, but unless you go to some system that prevents builders from continually upgrading designs, or requires that you use a junkyard motor sealed by the salvage shop, you CANNOT prevent cost escalation in a non-spec class. This is racing, after all, and if the class looks cool, sooner or later someone will show up with $$$ and a desire to win.

If you really want to keep costs down, you need to start specifying specific unmodified parts. Unless this is done, it is an engineering class, and that means $$$$. However, I haven't seen an open-wheel class yet that survived without support from a group of chassis builders.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 77

Let me ask (all of) you how elated or disappointed you would be if the engine spec turned out to be essentially the following: all stock components except FI or carburetion unrestricted, stock ECU remapping and/or Power Commander type devices allowed, dry sump system allowed, any exhaust manifold allowed.

If you are among the almost-elated, what would you want to be different?

Dave

Liked: 159

Dave,

What's wrong with all stock components.........and an SIR? This would keep it less costly (notice I didn't say cheap!) and still give an easy way to adjust Hp levels if needed. The developement cost (dyno time) of intakes systems using the SIR wouldn't be any more costly than the open intake rules as you suggested. (We could further reduce cost by requiring stock intake systems too. Why is not one talking about that?).

In either case, requiring all stock engine components is a must.

Jerry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information