Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 907

Default 'Formula One' Car on eBay

Further proof that eBay is the world's yard sale. Here is a 'Formula One' car for F1000 money (sorry, couldn't resist).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORMU...QQcmdZViewItem
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 0

I wonder if Super Aguri is bidding on it

After all they did get the current cars from an airport display in Australia.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Wow...

If Montoya had been offered a drive he would not be going to NA---R!

Liked: 447

I remember going to Malibu Grand Prix when I was 10 years old in California next to Anaheim stadium. I was too young to race the big cars so I had to settle for the smaller go-karts. I still have my license from there!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Default Roadrunners

Thats what the smaller cars were called. I have pictures of my daughter (now 31) driving one where all you can see is a helmet and 2 little hands on the steering wheel. There was a Malibu GP track near (in?) Miramar where the movie Top Gun was filmed. That track and the one in Redwood city CA sure got a lot of my $$$ before I got into "Real" racing.

Liked: 6

Didn't some of the Malibu tracks turn into a similar setup called "Speedzone?" I was at one near Dallas once or twice, I think that's the name. I kind of remember that they were owned by a group of race drivers but I don't remember who. They had a road course time trial go kart track, and also a slick track and a drag strip, plus a video arcade, AND A BAR.
    Anything is possible, until it is proven impossible.

Default Ma-ma-ma-Malibu Grand Pree!

Hey, deja vu. I used to work at the Malibu Grand Prix in Redwood City. I started the day I turned 16. At nights we'd drive the track backwards, the only time you could do that. The "formula" cars had Kawasaki 440 JetSki engines, as I recall. I've got one of the piston/crank assemblies on my desk as a paperweight. The kiddie Roadrunners came later. I've still got the dorky bright yellow windbreaker.

When you're 16, Malibu is a great way to meet girls when strapping them into the cars. It's also a great way to meet their a****e boyfriends who think they're red-hot drivers. We'd usually "lose" their sunglasses.

Default Fun times at M. G. P.

I remember one time I was ask to "leave" after crossing the finish line/timing lights sideways and scaring the pucky out of everyone on "pre-grid" Though they did say that I had the fastes lap that day. When my teenage son started to beat my times it was not as much fun anymore so I took up Formula car racing. To bad it cost more that $1 a lap.

Liked: 96

Default Fun in Atlanta

Years ago, my father, my son & I went to the Malibu GP in the Atlanta area. My son was only about 6 years old, so he rode in the passenger seat of a car like the one on ebay.

After a few sessions we noticed that his shirt was covered with "marbles" from the tires. I'm pretty sure we cleaned him up before we brought him back to Mom & Nana!
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ahrens
    Didn't some of the Malibu tracks turn into a similar setup called "Speedzone?" I was at one near Dallas once or twice, I think that's the name. I kind of remember that they were owned by a group of race drivers but I don't remember who. They had a road course time trial go kart track, and also a slick track and a drag strip, plus a video arcade, AND A BAR.
    Yup that be the place! And since you are locked into a rail, they even let you drive the dragsters under the influence! I watched a completely soused girl just get on the throttle and keep it there, while the car was locked into the staging area Lots of smoke!
    Curt King

Rockwall TX

Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt
    Further proof that eBay is the world's yard sale. Here is a 'Formula One' car for F1000 money (sorry, couldn't resist).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORMU...QQcmdZViewItem

That is what you call SCCA's first generation spec racer ford..............................

Liked: 5

Default Lola T-506 "Malibu" race car

Attachment 2748

Attachment 2749
    Not a "Formula One" car but one with a better pedigree than the car for sale on Ebay.
    Engines were a 295cc Sachs 2-rotor Wankel producing 26bhp @6000rpm for the T506 and a 436.6cc Rotax Type 440 twin-cylinder two-stroke for the T506B.

Liked: 5

Default Another photo of the T-506

Another photo of the T-506

Liked: 65

aaah the memories.... I got many a 'free hamburger" winnings from the malibu gran prix in Myrtle Beach years ago. They would chew you out or kick you out if you knocked over the apex cones. I never knocked em over but by the 3rd run of maybe wobbling them, the attendant would not start to run out there every time I ran.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Malibu GP

Are they still in business? I haven't seen or heard of one for a long time...

Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Thread Information