Liked: 0

Default Formula 500/600 conversion

I don't know if anybody has any interest, but I'm converting a KBS Formula 500 to car to a 600cc motorcycle engine. The car will run in the FS class, but I'd like to see if we could create a group like the Formula 1000 class.
    I basically have the frame stripped, I did all the repairs on the car, and I will be dropping the motor in soon. Will post some pics with the motor in.

Chris R.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default 600cc cycle engine

Sounds interesting...and potentially fast! What bike engine are you using? Are you going to use the bike gearbox, too?

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 309

Yes, very interesting, Chris! Please post pics and more info. I am confident there is plenty of interest.

Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Chris, Being an ex-F500 racer I am happy to see someone finally doing a motorcycle conversion. The KBS should be a good candidate as it was a winning car in early years. Are you going to replace the rubber cushions with real shocks? What is your expected total empty weight? Please post pictures as you go. Scott
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Guys thanks for the nodd!!! It's a Honda 05 CBR600rr. I was going to use an earlier version, but the price was right, $1500 complete with harness. I think the fuel injection will be a better bet for road racing. Yes I do intend on using the gearbox, the whole CVT thing, I just don't get. I don't think it will be much heavier than the F500, maybe 100#, so right around 900# with driver.
    The KBS is still a winning chassis, I live close to Mike Q of QRE fame, I'm converting the rear to the QRE 4 link setup and pulling measurements off the new chassis, not much different. My thought is to keep as close to the KBS/QRE as possible, rubber shocks and all, it works as is.
    I'm going to shoehorn the motor in the bare chassis this weekend, I'll keep you guys posted and post pics when I can.

Chris R.
    Performance Matrix

Liked: 3

It would have been cool if you could have got the new R6 engine. They rev to about 16-16.5K rpm. The new 600's are putting out numbers as good as the 750's from a few years back! I think your doing a real cool conversion plus I am a bike roadracer also so naturally I will like it!

Andrew

Andrew, thanks for the vote!!! I was a bike racer too, imagine that? I raced motocross then road race bikes. I raced Hawk twins and 600 F2's. Bike motor are cool, they are very durable, and they scream!

Chris R.

Liked: 3

Thats cool. Right now I race a 99 R6 and a 2003 Buell Firebolt. This will be my second year doing it. I thought it would be fun to try something else for a change. All my experience has been on 4 wheels ( 12 yrs) so it is quite different and scary fast sometimes! I will probably not race the bike too much this year and do more track days since that is more enjoyable for me. I'd rather race on 4 wheels with the FF!!!!

Andrew

Liked: 2

Default F500 conversion

Quote Originally Posted by ny_racer_xxx View Post
    I don't know if anybody has any interest, but I'm converting a KBS Formula 500 to car to a 600cc motorcycle engine. The car will run in the FS class, but I'd like to see if we could create a group like the Formula 1000 class.
    I basically have the frame stripped, I did all the repairs on the car, and I will be dropping the motor in soon. Will post some pics with the motor in.

Chris R.
    Just found your old post and was interested as were many others. Is years later, I was wondering what happened. Would love to see pictures and mor info on the project.
    I just brought a old Zink and wondering what I can do with it for R racing. Very interested in your project.
    Ray

Thread Information