Liked: 5

Default % or 6 Point Harness

I am seeking to find out of there is a manufacture that makes special belts for females... Open wheel application. Anyone know or have any ideas?

Thanks
    Dani

#24 1977 Lola T440
    New York
    FRCCA Metro Region

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy ****...what a ride!"

Its not the speed, its the sudden stop....

Liked: 11

Leave it alone fellas....

I've never seen a gender specific race harness....
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 4

Default Race Harness

I don't think you are going to have much luck, belts have to operate the same way regardless of gender. You may want to try http://www.ladyeagle.com/ . They make race suits, Nomex bras & shorts specificially for Woman.

Averill Racing stuff sells the Lady Eagle gear, call Keith, 248-585-9139, once he gets back from Fla....

Also I have a couple Sabelt pads that fit over my belts (I no longer use due to the HANS) tht you are free to try. Those may help a bit...
    Last edited by racer27; 12.08.05 at 12:22 PM.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

I had seen somewhere a while back a different configuration and couldnt recall who made it, but it was more of a Y structure. At the time I didnt need to worry about it, but I recall thinking, COOL they make stuff for women too... Since I am used to adapting to the men's world and the right handed world (Im left handed also) I note things which are specialty items but memory doesnt serve me well enough this time.

THanks Carnut I knew I was potentially opening a can of worms... But there are nothing but gentlemen out here right?

Ambrose I have tried pads... finally resorted to rearranging the belts so they criss cross. Just looking for other options

Thanks
    Dani

#24 1977 Lola T440
    New York
    FRCCA Metro Region

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy ****...what a ride!"

Liked: 77

Y-type shoulder harnesses are specifically not allowed for SCCA racing (see GCR page 128). And, while I understand the problem you are trying to solve, I really have to question the wisdom of crossing the shoulder harnesses - they weren't designed that way and may not function properly when you really need them. Have you tried talking with other women drivers about this?

Dave

check with Tim Lee at Safe Quip . he manufactures belts 803 732 0937.

I dont have his 800 number.
    Asphalt is for Racing Grass is for Passing
    CEC Racing RF96 #97
    Chuck Cecil

Liked: 601

Default 5 or 6 point harness

Racinggrl!,
    As a distributer for Lady Eagle Safetywear, and having spent the last half of last week helping them out at the PRI show, I may be able to answer your questions.
    Call
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff,Inc.
    248-585-9139
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 1

Wemon and belts. Nancy has been racing formula and sports racers for 30+ years. Call her 510-915-2244
    Ted James
    Ted

Liked: 597

no rule against crossing them that i know of...........and it obvious won't void the "warranty" nor put a manufacturer in an obviously legally curious position - but there are people who would argue this last point [just please don't do it here]

.......... interesting idea though of crossing the belts, the increased possibility of trachea damage is there.

some use the 3" wide and about 6 inch long connector belt piece that slides up and onto the shoulder belts and clips one shoulder belt to the other across the chest in an effort to see to it that one cannot physically come out through the middle of the two shoulder belts on frontal impact - and of course such strap won't help you........crossing the belts achieves the same effect.............but i will argue that it works to minimize slightly your ability to stay in the belts on less than frontal impacts if you cross the belts.

i think the bottom line is if you were stopped on grid with your belts crossed and refused egress to the track, you'd be forced to change back......if not stopped.......you're free.....to find out the hard way how effective such positioning can be. if you really want to find out if it's OK or not >>>> ask the SCCA legal department....but not if you can do this but rather IF you did do it, would that void the insurance that's applicable to you once on the track. ...that way the SCCA doesn't have to answer the question, they get to pass the buck to a "ultimate authority" and committee people always love not having to give a specific answer. asking the belt manufacturer about this would put them [they might argue] in a very tricky legal position so who know what sort of answer you'd get........but it doesn't hurt to ask [pun intended]

Default 5&6 point

Ted,
    It was great to meet you both at the Lady Eagle booth.
    Keith Averill
    Keith
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 0

I should clarify "crossing" the belts. I took the bottom half of each shoulder harness and switched them so that at the clip they are crossed down there, for about 3 inches of the belt, the crossing doesnt occur up at the chest area but more the abdomen where the belts all come together. (and they still lay flat and tighten sufficiently) I did this for two reasons, one my shoulders arent as wide as guys and the mounting points on my car currently kept the belts very far our on my shoulders, therefore restricting my movement and secondly came down in an uncomfortable spot.

I really appreciate the feedback and will be making some calls in the coming days

I wish there were a bunch of women drivers in my club to ask, but there arent, so I am reaching out here (nationally) to get feedback.

Thanks again...

OOPS Signed on wrong name to respond..

Dani #24 Lola
    Last edited by Dragnmorad; 12.08.05 at 12:44 PM. Reason: signature
    Stephen

Hard at Play Racing
    Crewing at it's Best!
    Hemmingway Said "the only true SPORTS are Bull Fighting, Mountain climbing & Auto Racing, Everything else is just a game."

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default Mounting Spacing

Your straps should be mounted with spacing at 4-6 inches, the GCR says. If your's are wider than that maybe that's part of the problem. Could cause the slipping off the shoulder problem.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

I have to go to the garage and actually measure it, since I didnt install it I am not sure of that number.

I do know that im a small framed person, very short waisted as well as not broadshouldered and so what is good for the standard sized person is usually too wide for me.

I am looking forward to making the car more comfortable and fitted this coming season so I am able to concentrate more on driving and not being bruised, bumped, loose, or whatnot.

Thanks
    Dani

#24 1977 Lola T440
    New York
    FRCCA Metro Region

Default Have you tried a HANS?

A Hans leaves a gap in the right "area" that may eliminate the issue.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Seat also.

Dani. If your budget allows it you should look into having a professionaly made bead seat or other type of totaly fitted seat made just for your body shape. Some of the problems you describe with not being comfortable in the car are the result of not only having seatbelts that do not fit your personal shape but also how you fit in your car. Many of us started out with seats that were "Generic" or made to what we thought was "Good Enough" standards. When you are in a properly made costom fitted seat you will find that the bruises and sore spots from pressure points and the strain of your mussels fighting the G forces of the car will be mostly GONE! You will not believe what a difference you will feel both during and after a race. Sometimes I get into my car 10 min. before a race and not wait till the last min. Why? Because there is no other place that is more comfortable and made just for ME. Yes you should get your belts and their mounting arranged to a configuration thats right for your gender but a proper seat will complete the package. This is true for ALL racers regardless of gender!

Default Bead Seat

Ditto what Daryl said. I put a bead seat in my Crossle 4 years ago. The difference was like night and day. And the shoulder belts no longer hurt because I'm not moving around. Also, I drove a FSCCA car with a bead seat that made for a driver close to my size. It felt great. We took our rental car (FSCCA) out out a couple of weeks ago for it's first test. It had the stock seat and felt Ok sitting in the paddock. But after 3 short test sessions, I was hurting due to sliding around in the cockpit.
    Bill Hetzel

Default Need some belt info!

Dani,

My wife has a similar problem.

Without being sexist, boobs does seem to get in the way! :-)

Our rules also specifies 3 inch wide belts, it appears uncomfortab;e (see attached photo)

Regards

Riaan Cilliers

Liked: 43

Dani

Here is a product that may help.

http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/r...rnumstrap.html

Liked: 4

Default Sturnem Strap

Although this makes sense, I think it may break the SCCA "Single Point of Release rule".

Dani: While investigating Belts & Comfort, consider incorporating a Head & Neck Restraint system. In 2006 you'll be running in a much larger field then you were in 2005, so possibility of going for a unplanned ride is much higher. I think our field (If I run at all in 2006) is going to be pretty bunched up and competitive.

I run the HANs, you may want to try mine on to see if it elevates the problem in your originial post. The HANS may help, it may hurt. ISSAC also has a very low cost verion of thier system that may apeal to you as well. It should have little to no comfort inpact.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Default Other Lady Rqcers

Dani,
    While we male racers have been trying to help with sugestions (and managing to be gentleman about it), we simply do not have first hand experience with the issue at hand.

I was thinking last nite, there is a young lady in Florida, by the name of Mishael T. Abbot, who has been racing FM and Infiniti Pro Series.

Her web site last time I saw it printed was Mishaeltabbot.com, and I bet she could offer you some insight from a lady's perspective, that just might be more helpful.

Did I say it all politically correct??

Liked: 2

The correct URL is http://www.mishaelabbott.com

Liked: 1

Default Proper Seat Position & Seat Belts

Dani,

I've been racing formula and sports racers for quite a number of year. The most important thing is your seating position. The first thing you might want to do is get a two part foam system from Tap Plastics or some other company. You'll need some help with this, as you'll have to be in the car while the foam is mixed and poured. This is poured into several large garbage bags, set inside of one another. The best way I've found is to have as little on as possible, say bra and panties only. That way the seat will be as tight as possible when you put you racing suit on. You will have to sit in the position that you want to drive in while the foam sets up, without squirming around.

You may have to make several trys of this type of seat, but it's a lot less costly than a bead seat to start out with. There is a company called SafeCraft that does different types of seatbelts. They will make them to length on the shoulders, www.safecraft.com. I don't use them, but you might find this of some help. You also might want to talk to Katie at Lady Eagle Safty wear for some help. 206-767-9500.

Hope this is of some help. Do get a Hans device!!!!

Nancy James
    Ted

Liked: 106

Default foam vrs bead

Hey Dani, bead is better than foam, foam is better than nothing, two part foam is also a marine application available locally but prices do vary. I have some if you want to try it. Ive made a couple of em and its not hard at all..just kinda squishy and warm! the winter is a good time to do it so you wont roast.

Default 5 or 6 point harness

Phil,
    As I told Dani the other day, do foam first, see what you like, what works for her, after that, make a bead seat as a final solution.
    Keith
    Keith
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Thread Information