Liked: 0

Default 2006 Planning / Classing

I chose to start a new thread, but Tom Mihelich's post was exactly the thing that I am worried about. How do you have fun and enjoy the best possible competition, without Enterprises helping to at least coordinate races etc.

Let me start with this, it is my request to the CRB and BOD Planning Committee:

Dear Club Racing Board,

Per your request at the formula/SR tent meeting at the 2005 Runoffs SCCA Enterprises would like to propose the following additional method for classifying cars in National Club Racing for your consideration:

Add to section GCR 17.1.11.C.

….for two (2) successive years or identical (could say spec) cars that have been homologated (log books issued?) in a quantity of 150 chassis or more may be considered….

A few points of interest: both the Star Mazda and FSCCA cars are just now crossing 100 cars (in the Enterprises case there are about 10 SRSCCA included in that number, but the car is easily converted). The likelihood of any manufacturer reaching 150 as a target is remote and would be very infrequent. When it does happen you can be sure the car meets reasonable standards of being both popular and filling some need amongst the racers. Also the “may be considered” allows for subjective evaluation already. This eliminates the terribly complex issue of how to count cars racing in other classes (Nationally or Regionally). It also provides a simple target for any manufacturer to consider when evaluating a business decision based on an SCCA targeted car.

I would certainly support a lower number, as you would of course suspect. In very pleasant discussions with Mr. Gary Rodriguez, regarding my interest in having a fair target for anyone building identical chassis, he provided a rough number of 140 FM cars that existed when that chassis was granted its own National class. The data I have found suggests that there are as many as 4 more Regional races, on average, in each of the top Divisions in 2005 than there where when the FM was considered. The proliferation of Regional events makes the target of 4.0 (3.5 from GCR 17.1.11.A plus 0.5) nearly impossible for a car that is unlikely to be popular amongst Regional competitors. In trying to evaluate how I could stimulate Regional entries several Regions / Regional Series expressed concern over their ability to guarantee any real focus on the “wings and things” Regional race group in the coming years.

Respectfully Submitted,
    Erik Skirmants
    SCCA Enterprises

While the BOD and CRB are obviously serious about a reasonable process, they are also in a position to review the strategic needs of Club Racing and make decisions outside the current process. This is the norm, not the exception. SM being a recent example of following the process and T3 being one of strategic origin.

I find it almost impossible to imagine how with these decisions pending, and the number of Regionals so high, we could have any hope of meeting the current rule in 2006. My answer to where to race for 2006 is likley to become "where you want"; with an effort by us (after a staff increase) to assist in planning.

If we have a focus it is in getting our cars properly identified on entries and in race results. Getting FSCCA as its own class in the major Regional Champ Series is a key, you can ask for this as well as I can, but I would be very happy to continue to work this effort with all of you.

There are other issues that effect how we can be treated that are not making life easier for now. However, as a car manufacturer, outside of the rules making process, we are so much better off in the long term.

The announcement of the details of the Enterprises only race at HPT in August and the ARRC "Championship" are coming soon. However, making sure Enterprises is on solid ground and with a strong budget for 2006 must come first. We are stable, we are growing again and we will never be a risk to the SCCA member again (or I will resign).

I understand that racers do not travel like they used to, but we have limited budgets, we cannot have a "big race" in every Division of the country. For instance the trip from NE to Atlanta was considered minimal when I was growing up, now it is apparently a challenge for many reasons. We can consider things like tow money (thanks Butch) etc., but I assure you anything Enterprises can do for your racing budget is not going to make your wallet fat. We are much better off listening to what you want, encouraging the great camaraderie we see, and making YOU WANT to travel...bribes will never work. Racing rarely makes sense on paper.
    Sincerely,
    Erik Skirmants
    SCCA Enterprises

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Love that last line.

"Racing rarely makes sense on paper" Thats why I stopped saving reciepts for racing related expenses years ago. If I realy knew what racing cost me I would probably not enjoy it as much!

Thread Information