Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default FA at SF auto show.

I delivered Mark Ishikawa's Swift 014 Atlantic car to The San Francisco Auto Show today. The show opens Sat. and runs thru Nov. 27th. Mark got off a plane from London at 1pm and was at the show for the TV crew from KRON channel 4 (SF) to do an interview. The spot should be on KRON Sat.-11/19 at 11am. Pacific time. It's great to see a "real" racecar amongst all those tin tops! Driving a truck and trailer in San Francisco traffic was harder than driving a race car!

Liked: 309

Ha, ha...glad it wasn't me driving that rig through downtown!

Once was enough!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Default I didn't...

Stan. I used my "Little" 28ft. trailer NOT Marks 44' one! Still a cheap thrill!

Liked: 23

Can anyone else corroborate the story of Penske Racing in the 70s having the trailer absolutely emptied while the car was being placed upstairs within McCormick Place at the Chicago Auto Show? The legend I heard is that some influential racing people from Chicago got the trailer contents to 'reappear' about a week later.

God I love Chicago.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Default disappearing trailer..

Funny you bring that up! The trailer I used to deliver Marks Atlantic car to San Francisco WAS at one time stolen from it's original owner at a car show! He unloaded his 50's Mercury "Lead Sled" show car at the Arco Arena in Sacramento and when he came back outside his truck and trailer were gone! He was paid off by the insurance company but was so pissed he put an ad in local car mags with a $5000 reward for the arrest and conviction of the perps. Sure enough he got a phone call with a tip that HIS trailer was at a rural ranch behind a barn. Went there with the cops and they recovered it with the only damage a missing generator,winch and fancy hitch. The perp was a druggie with a long rap sheet who went away to do some 3 strikes time. The tipster never called back to get his 5Gees? How do I KNOW all this? The trailer showed up at a live Insurance auction as a recovered theift. The only other bidder besides myself past $3000 turned out to be the original owner! He was trying to buy it for a friend and we had a bidding war until he quit at $7500. THEN he gave me his spare keys and told me he had just paid $17.500 for it 9months before!

Thread Information