Liked: 1

Default Johnson Steps Down as SCCA President to Join Champ Car

http://www.speedtv.com./articles/aut...ndustry/18896/

Johnson Steps Down as SCCA President to Join Champ Car
    Written by: Eric Prill
    Topeka, Kan. – 8/16/2005 Johnson served as SCCA's President and CEO since 2000. (Photo: SCCA)

Sports Car Club of America President and CEO Steve Johnson announced today that he will resign from his post, effective September 15, to replace Dick Eidswick as the President of Champ Car World Series LLC. Eidswick had been drafted out of retirement by Champ Car co-owners Kevin Kalkhoven, Gerry Forsythe and Paul Gentilozzi upon the trio's acquisition of CART's assets after the 2003 season.

Johnson served as President and CEO for SCCA since June 2000, assuming the similar role with subsidiary SCCA Pro Racing in April 2001.

“Steve has been a tremendous asset to the Sports Car Club of America,” SCCA Chairman of the Board Gary Pitts said. “On behalf of the Board, we are sad to see Steve go, but wish him the very best of luck with his new position.”

“This is one of those opportunities in your life that you simply cannot pass up,” Johnson said. “I’m very confident in the team that is in place and comfortable to leave the company and Club in its current status. SCCA is financially sound, looked upon as a leader and is in the best position ever within the industry. At the risk of sounding cliché, I’m going out while we’re on top.

“While I’m moving to another motorsports sanctioning body, it is one that is very much a partner to SCCA. I understand SCCA and its strengths. I would not have had this new opportunity without my association with SCCA, and I will remain very loyal to the Club.”

The SCCA Board of Directors will begin the process to position Johnson’s successor shortly.

Liked: 309

Default Topeka or Bust!

I for one wish this would have happened a few years ago prior to "everything SCCA"
    being "centralized" to Topeka, KS (Steve's hometown?). Since Steve took office, we have seen the National Office, National Convention, and RunOffs moved to Topeka. Hey, I'm a Solo2 guy and I don't even care for Topeka (I preferred Salina....).
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

good Riddance.
    I am with you. Everything "Topekaized" in the middle of nowhere, except his hometown.

Not surprising really, this has been his MO in the past, stick around for a few years, do the rah rah CEO bit then leave for something better IMHO.

More at:http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...le.asp?ID=9556

-Dave

Liked: 3787

Hey! I've got my 30+ years in with the Great State of Florida. I'm retired and looking for my next career in a discipline I really love.

Gary Pitts give me a call!

Liked: 605

Default ahhh....the bad stuff does get thrown up

ahhh.....the bad stuff does get thrown up when one throws up. say good ridance to mr johnson. thanks to the scca, a man that had no prior racing credential, now has used us such that he has a credential........that of president of the scca for the past few years. and now he bails on us. Gee thanks mr. johnson! are you adding sincerity to your middle name?..........or is it dedication? used? yes..........raped?..........not sure - i'm waiting to find out how big a severance package, in dollars, of the club's money he's leaving with. it's only then that i'll know if eye've been raped or not. you know how the corporate types always leave with a big bankroll tucked under their arm

Liked: 115

Default Warm up your resume

Mike: Don't wait! Call him first! You might even like the job. If I got it, I'd move the Runoff's to VIR one year and Laguna Seca the next, MO the next, and so on. Maybe even Topeka - once per decade. <G>

You know whoever comes in will be saddled with living through the lifespan of all those Topeka agreements and contracts. That stuff is now so tied up by signed contracts the club could not afford the lawyers to get out of it, so we will have to live through it.

Sort of like farting in a packed elevator just before you exit.

Of course, the new guy can run around blaming it all on Johnson!

Liked: 0

Default Top 11 Things Overheard at Steve's Job Interview

Top Eleven Things Overheard at Steve Johnson's CHAMP CAR Job Interview:

11. " Suburban Detroit is sooo much better than Topeka"
    10. "Can I call you KK?
    9. "What do you mean Paul Tracy doesn't race here anymore?
    8. "A street race in downtown Topeka would be awesome!"
    7. "Do I still have to mail a letter to each member thanking them for their membership?"
    6. "Let's re-hire Paul Page and Parker Johnstone"
    5. "Your cars have sequential shift just like the FSCCA Car!"
    4. "No shorts or tank tops on the grid just like SCCA"
    3. "Paul Newman looks different in person"
    2. "Wow, these cars are so much faster than the FSCCA Car!"
    1. "No, I don't mind sitting in the back of the G IV or unloading the baggage"

Rob Poma

Default Steve Johnson Leaving

With all due respect Steve Johnson had nothing to do with the The Runoffs moving to Topeka. He did however take this club to higher level in financial health,by moving to Topeka and cutting operating costs.I think this is a normal progression for a Professional in this type of business. I am sure we all look for the next step in our employment careers.He has done much for our club. He will be missed by some and not by others.It is time for us to find a new President who can lead us to the next level.Your Board of Directors has already started that process.

#12 "You mean you have to pay cornerworkers?"
    #13 "I can save you guys money if you let me substitute HPT for M-O."

OBTW, I still have my Dan Gurney for President bumper sticker.

But, seriously, since the Board is in charge, do we need a president anyway?

Mike, You make some great points. Thank You for the clarity.
    But I'm sure there are members that believe the same financial health could have been achieved staying in Denver and dumping Enterprises. Everybody has an opinion.

Mike,
    You can play the guitar and sing like Eric Clapton (in other words extremely well) but don't foist that political horse puckey on this board please.

I have requested that if the bid by HPT was so favorable to the club that both bids be made public. You have chosen everytime to not respond. And do not tell me that it is private. This is a member club.

Many members do not understand and will not agree with the kinds of moves that have been made because the BOD and paid staff choose not to share the hard facts with us. Therefore, absent any other data, the only logical conclusion that can be drawn is that the motives for some decisions are shall we say less than totally in the best interest of the club.

Steve Demeter

Liked: 6

Default To JEN.....

Jimbo,

God am I going to miss those poignant and insightful Steve Johnson columns in Sportscar.....

:-)
    Ron

Liked: 67

Ron,
    I’ve saved all his columns and often go back and read them for inspiration. The thrill of finding my SportsCar in the mailbox each month just won’t be the same. It’s a sad day for sure.

Jim

in a spider hole with an RPG. (Actually Sparta, TN)

be sure to lock the door.....so he can't get back in.

bill
    fv31

Default Steve Johnson Gone

Steve- If you have any questions about anything,I am happy to discuss them.Part of my reasoning for running for the BOD was to cut the crap and let people know the truth.I will tell you anything about the Runoffs stuff that the contractural limitations will allow me to. I am not political and I don't remember ever not answering a question if I knew the answer.call me at 817-860-1985 I will answer your questions.This is not the first time I have put my phone number on this website, so it is not like I am hiding from the tough questions. Call me,don't assume anything.

Default Steve Johnson

Oh by the way thanks for the compliment on my guitar playing.

Liked: 15

Default President

How do I apply ? I might even renew my membership now.

Liked: 492

Thanks Mike, and I havn't even heard you play!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Greg Mercurio

Mike: I for one am glad that you're on the BOD, hoping that you WILL be able to shine a little light into the darkness of the workings of the BOD.

Mr Johnson has had a very long time, in corporate time anyway, to change the way the club was managed. Instead he decided to market the SCCA "Brand" to any and all comers, and at the same time did a pretty good job marketing himself to any and all comers.

Unfortunately he forgot that this is still a members club. A few years ago, the Survey Said!: only 17% of ALL members responding had any interest in SCCA Pro Racing. So we got 100% of the marketing efforts directed at that segment. Wow, that's really listening to the membership. When the Regional results were dropped to make room for more advertisers and print for Pro events, the membership again responded with letters to the editor asking for a return. When the website became so graphics intense that even T1 lines take a lot of time to load and dial up users gave up, HQ said "Let them eat cake."

HQ has really NOT listened for all this time. Considering that most of the income for SCCA comes from Members, they forgot that they were supposed to be working for us. Perhaps Mr. Johnson and Mr. Mudd slept through that seminar?

So while the CEO is not usually responsible for the day to day operations, his is the only office where the buck can't be passed. He had the chance to make a LARGE order change and did, just not in the direction of a member focused amateur racing club.
    We'll be watching his tenure with interest.

Liked: 104

Everything Greg just said.....ditto.......

Default Q: When is a club not a club?

A: When it's the SCCA!

I submit the analogy that the SCCA is run like a public corporation along with the following supporting points, in an effort to help clarify any member's understanding of the Club with respect to Steve Johnson's role in it.

First, unless he is also the majority share holder, the President or CEO is usually just the company's (or club's) head cheerleader. He may provide some guidance but mostly he increases visibilty of the organization in an effort to increase it's financial health and well being. However, since he generaly has no equity tied up (except for options or a healthy severance previously mentioned) there should be no expectation that he would pass over a better oportunity should one present itself. Would you? Apparently Mr. Johnson had a more hands on position and not everyone agrees the Club has benefitted from his involvement. But it's a little late to be crapping on him now.

Second, fortunately we do not live in a pure democracy and the SCCA is the same way. As in our government, most issues are better resolved by the experience, logic and understanding of the selected few than by mob rule. This structure results in the situation that unless you are a large shareholder or an officer, your vote does not really amount to much and does not give you a right to look at confidential documents. You must resign youself to the fact that as far as the organization goes you really aren't too important. Sure, you get to vote on changes to the BOD and the small $h!t, and of course they still want your money (shares or dues) but other than that, if you don't like the game, take your ball and go play somewhere else.

Last, If you want to change the way things are run then volunteer to do something about it. Become one of the selected few! I hear a lot of members bitching about this or that but as soon as they are asked to step up and do it better I get every excuse you can think of including letters from their mother. I'm not advocating that you give up a solid career and apply for the newly vacanted position, get involved and do something. Of course, if you're working for flies like a certain frog we all know then you might want to freshen up that resume.
    Tom Sprecher
    ATL Region Treasurer

Default What a difference!

Look at the comments on this same subject from another SCCA related forum.

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/f...topic=5943&hl=

Do you hear all that bitching? Neither do I.
    Tom Sprecher
    ATL Region Treasurer

Default Hope he can fix Champ Car

Talked to the guy at the RO's a few years back... was very nice to me... thanked me for being a member...and my support?
    I go off how folks treat me and he was a nice guy?
    + I am in favor of the RO's moving so if he was behind that, well too bad he split, and I try to love Champ Car even with no cars, no pass undriveable street tracks and no American fans or drivers (Go Scott Sharp ..IRL).So go fix that Mr.J!
    Yall have to race some bull rings and deal with scumbag promoters and then you will see how good of place we have to race!
    Just like my kids football team... I can't stand the politics lets just play?? So who cares who the pres. is??..?? just let me play!!

P.S. The new guy can lower the dues if he wants.
    Last edited by Mark H; 08.17.05 at 1:35 AM. Reason: beer
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Contributing Member Scott Hutchison's Avatar

As a 33 year member who has never done jack to improve the club, other than enjoy racing my cars at club events, I don't cast stones at anyone who has.

I'll just say "Thank you Mr. Johnson." and be on my way.
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Interesting on how 2 different groups (IT and formula guys) have such differing views. Maybe it has something to do with the perception / feeling of how the individual groups were treated. Rules contreversies (sp), changes and the like.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Johnson's departure

I can't blame Johnson for leaving. He was offered a job that had more interest for him. Whether that interest was more money, prestige--whatever--it was something the SCCA didn't give him. Most of you would quit your job and accept a new position if it paid more, was located in a city where you wanted to live, had better fringe benefits, allowed more time for racing...you can't blame a guy for leaving.

The SCCA, in addition to being a club, is a corporation. The BOD sets policy, and the CEO executes this policy. The BOD can hire/fire the CEO, but he can't hire/fire the board members. If you have a real complaint with Johnson, you should have passed it on to the board. While I'm not a Johnson fan (his postings in SportsCar were pure drivel), I don't have any real bad feelings toward him, either. I'd say he was probably a 7 out of 10, but I don't know if anyone could be a 10 with the state of the club at this time. Johnson did well with financial management, but he blew it with a few other things (such as the Fran Am lawsuit).

The SCCA will survive. It will move on. The next guy will either be better or worse. The only thing we know for sure is that he will be different.

Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Hey Steve I have driven an IT car a few times this year so maybe that has messed up my head a little?

Like it needs anymore messing up?
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Thread Information