Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Default Mounting AIM data logger components

I'm putting in a AIM XG LOG system in my '94 Van Dieman, and I'm interested in how others have mounted the display, beacon receiver, TPS, and logger box.

Anybody use the AIM steering wheel or one of the MOMO wheels designed for having a display mounted inside? All replies appreciated.

You can E-mail me at kirchner56@msn.com if you have pics!

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

I have recently purchased an AIM XG log data system for my RF00. I found that the AIM steering wheel was too large a diameter to really use inside the tight cockpit of a Van Dieman FC. I'm in the process of mounting the display on a smaller diameter Alpha wheel. I will be cutting out a section of the wheel and fabricating my own brackets to mount it to the wheel. This seems the only way to mount it on your wheel if you don't use the AIM steering wheel.

As for the logger box, I have mounted it using velco on a plate that covers the battery. The battery being located on the floor just inside the the front cockpit roll cage. Not an idea place as it can be kicked getting in or out of the car. So I'm think of fabricating a cover for it that will screw onto the battery cover. The thing with the logger box is I'm pretty sure it has to be mounted on a flat level surface with the connector side facing either forward or rearward otherwise it can't read the lateral g's.

I'm basically doing the same thing I've seen others do when mounting their AIM display to their wheel. I'll see if I can get you a couple of photos tomorrow of how Benner mounted his on his Zetec (I'm following his example).
    Firman F1000

Liked: 11

The box can be seen just in front on the monoshock assembly on top of the frame. Just took a piece of aluminum and made a mount.

Here is how I have the display:

Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 141

Sean
    Your display pic is rather dark - is it mounted behind the strg wheel [ie chassis mounted] or on the strg wheel?

It is on the steering wheel. You can tell its covering up the "Momo" at the top of the wheel. I just made an aluminum mount for it as well. With the XG it does not have to be chassis mounted.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 2

Default AIM Mounting

I've got my AIM MyChron 3 mounted to the floor under my knees. In my case, it's just ahead of the battery, and yes, it's right in the way of my feet as I get in and out. The logger "box" is mounted on rubber isolation bolts screwed to the metal belly pan so that it doesn't vibrate itself to death. The box must be mounted with the cables pointing forward or else the internal g sensor gets confused.

The display is screwed to my Momo steering wheel, with the cable dangling between the two, as you can see. I made a quick and dirty bracket to mount the display to the wheel. I think mounting the display directly to your instrument panel would hide most of the information, but maybe that depends on your wheel. Besides, when the display turns with the wheel you got that cool Michael Schumacher/Jacques Villeneuve thing goin'
    Last edited by RoadHazard; 09.11.07 at 11:34 AM.

Liked: 142

have any of you guys figured out a decent filter option for the crappy RPM filters they provide? I keep blowing them out and loosing my tach. I've heard of teh resistor and trie dit but it didn;t seem to help on my car.

I've had the same damn problem on both of my cars with aim dashes. I wante dto geta nw filter from AIM but all eth dealers are out of stock currently and i';m goign racin ghtis weekend!!!!!!!
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 36

RoadHazard: We have our black box mounted backwards. While the lateral G sensor does think backwards now, we simply use the mirror function when we create the track map. Works find.

Brendan: We'll be up at NHIS this weekend. If you head to the nearest radioshack and buy some 1/2 watt resistors (1K ohm, 5K ohm, 25K ohm, 100K ohm), and bring a soldering iron, some solder and some electrical tape, I will help you make for your car, what we have on our car. The resistors are cheap, something like $0.99 for 1/2 dozen or so.

If you use a traditional coil, you should be able to filter out the unwanted voltage feedback by using the 1K ohm resistor in line with your RPM input wire. If you use one of those hi energy coils, you will have to try something beefier, perhaps 100K ohms.

We plan to arrive Friday in time for registration. We should be in garage 5 or 6. Look us up, or give me a call today 203.294.1837 (work), and I can talk you thru it.

This only works to solve the erratic display of the RPM. If your display is OK up to around 3000, and then goes bonkers from there up, or in fact seems to read lower as the revs increase, then this should solve your problem.

John D.

Liked: 285

Default AIM Installation Hints

For a Mychron 3 XG, if you need to mount the box with the connectors facing toward the rear of the car, you can mount it upside down. Then you won't need to "mirror" the track when creating trackmaps.

Also, we've finally discovered why the AIM RPM filters die a quick death. It all has to do with how they are powered. Make sure they are powered from the same source as the dash (typically the master switch, or perhaps a separate data/dash switch). The dash and the filter must always be powered on when the engine is turning. Units fail when you connect the power for the filter to the ignition power. I believe what is happening is when you turn the ignition off while the engine is still running, there is some residual current that flows through the coil -- this back-powers the filter and as Steve Machett says "Kablamo!".

David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Sean - is that a MOMO 012C wheel?

Yep, sure is.
    Sean O'Connell