Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Default LRP July Nat'l Grouping

Northern NJ Region has put FF with CSR, DSR, & S2000 for the July National. I know we all have to sometimes bite the bullet with objectionable groups, but this one is simply too dangerous to ignore, especially on a track like Lime Rock. The National office says it's OK to put SR's with Open Wheel's, but I'm sure they never imagined CSR and FF together. Between the speed differential and the fact that a CSR can't really see an FF in their mirrors, this is simply TOO dangerous. Let NNJ know how you feel while there is still time. If you're going to be at the Glen this weekend tell ANY official you see about the problem, it's usually the same group of officials at most of the NE Nationals. There is still time to do something about this, make sure the squeaky wheel gets greased.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

Default LRP FFGroup with CSR, DSR,and S2000

Mike your absolutely correct. This grouping on a short narrow track like LRP,with the speed difference is just asking for trouble. Open and closed wheel are a problem in the best circumstances and if there is a problem the open wheeled car usually comes out a poor second.

Liked: 4

I think this grouping makes much more sense than the alternative, which we saw in June. Mike, why is it any better to have open-wheel Atlantics with CSR, DSR, and S2000? We deal with this grouping all the time. In fact, the FF's and CSR's were closer in lap times at LRP in June than the FA's compared to the CSR's. The DSR's were 5 seconds off the pole FA and only one second off the pole FF. Using your logic of defining safety with closing speeds, it makes more sense to seperate the FA's from the closed wheels than the FF's. In fact, your logic makes it more sensible to have you with the CSR's rather than the FC's. The FC's were faster than the CSR's. Every single word in your post may be true but has never been paid any attention to when we go to the stewards and try to use the same logic. And, as a side note and FYI, the S2 and FF pole in June were the same to the tenth of a second. And 6 seconds off the Atlantics, which is where they put the S2's. Maybe they should split the S2's and put them and the DSR's with the FF's and the FA's, FC's, and CSR's together?

Atlantic 48.3
    CSR 52.6
    DSR 53.6
    FF 54.8
    S2 54.8

Liked: 977

Default oops

Its not about the speed, its about the size! If there is not sufficent time to run the cars in safe groups then we should not be running at all. Of course, I don't have a dog in this fight so have at it!
    Last edited by John LaRue; 07.04.05 at 11:04 PM. Reason: because I wanted to!

There's not much size difference. Most of the FF's were FC's w/o wings and most of the Atlantics were Van Diemens.

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Paul, I never said anything about FA in my post, I don't think FF should be with FA either for all the same reasons.......size, speed differential & visibility. Yes, a lot of FF's were FC's, mine included, but take off the wings and it gets a good deal smaller and a lot less visible. FV and F5 don't like running with FF either, but it is a much safer fit as a group. FA is a more unique problem since it's the fastest class. Looking only at laptimes isn't the only way to set up a group.

I agree with what you said in your post but there is an implication that since CSR, DSR and S2000 are unsafe with FF's, then just dump them in with Atlantics. To be honest, I would rather see FA with FC and even FF's. Then send the sports racers into their own group. At least we don't have to run with the Shelby Can-Ams anymore. That was always fun...

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

FC and FF has almost always proven to be clean. FA and FC also. FF and FV/F500 good as well. FC and FM only when the start is split, otherwise hell on wheels for all participants. F* and S2000 almost always bad.

My two cents: S2000, CSR, DSR together; F* in one or more combinations with the use of split starts when necessary. Stewards need to be open minded to our pleas to control the class structure based on entry numbers. (aside- I've never had a problem dealing with a steward who has raced formula cars)
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Thread Information