Liked: 208

Default Formula Car lift hoist

I am constructing an economical lift to get my Formula Ford off the ground to make it easier on the back. Does anyone know of an economical 12 volt hoist that can lift a maximum of 1800lbs. or so?

Plenty of 120 volt versions around but I'm looking for a 12v version that will make it easy to take to the track. If you can point me in the right direction it would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Ralph
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 0

I built a lift a while back and used a HD winch. Winches are not designed to lift, but if you go with the correct one they lift awesome. Mine lifts too fast I needed to two part it with a pulley to slow it down. Most winches are DC. DC winches are also cheaper and more powerful than AC. I found a new WARN works 4700 winche on ebay for like $340 back in Dec 03. I have a cheap harbor freight winch I got for like $39 and thats what it's worth. I mounted it in my trailer and it takes like 5 min. to pull the car into the trailer. I would never lift something with it.

Check out this link, to help you decide what size winch you need. http://www.northerntool.com/catalog/...uides/winches/

I would search yahoo, google, and ebay for a winch.

Also check out www.brennerfabrication.com I want one of these. The one I made is heavy steel and not portable.

Douglas Brenner

Ralph
    I use a 12V winch that is approved for lifting. It is rated at at 1000 lbs and has a mechanical brake and a 5 to 1 safety margin. I double the cable and use a pulley block, so it can lift 2000 lbs, although I lifted a bridgeport mill (probably at least 2200 lbs with not problem). I get it at Grainger and is built by Superwinch. It comes with a pulley block and hook that says not rated for lifting but I talked to the factory and they said it is fine for lifting but is supplied with many other non lifting winches so they put the warning on it. If you are uncomfortable with this grainger also has a pully block that you could get (Grainger# 1VN52) It is not supplied with wire rope, so you will have to get that also. I use 25' of 7/32 high flexability steel wire. The Grainger# for the winch is 3VJ66 and sells for about $400. If you have trouble buying from grainger I would be happy to sell you one and could also get the wire for you. I have had people use cheaper Harbor Freight winches but have been unhappy with them, mainly because they go too fast. Good luck with your lift. You will be happy you have one. If you have any questions I would be happy to help.....Douglas 707 964-6226 brennerfab@sbcglobal.net
    www.brennerfabrication.com

Liked: 0

Default Car lift

I think MK Technologies makes one as well as Brenner. If I had the $$$ I would buy either one of them. At least you know theirs work!

Thread Information