Thread: apology

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Default apology

I need to apologize to Bill Goldkind and the whole Formula Car community.
    I had a massive failure of judgement yesterday at Lime Rock and caused a significant accident.
    To everyones great relief, Billy G was not injured.
    He would have been well within reason to protest my driving, why he didn't is beyond me. Any protest would certainly have been well founded and unheld and I would have deserved any punishment handed down.
    I need to apologize to all my fellow competitors in the open wheel fraternity. I let my frustration and emotion take over and that is always dangerous. I have prided myself on being a clean competitor in open wheel cars for the past 37 years and ruined that in one instant yesterday. If I could take back the last few hundred yards, as I did numerous times last night in my head, I would in an instant.
    This apology is to Billy, a friend of at least 15 years, his crew chief Jimmy Little, and all connected to their team.
    Jimmy and Gale, I deserved you guys walking away from me later in the day, I know these are just words, but they are sincere and heartfelt.
    As serious a judgement failure as a driver can have in open wheel cars that could just as easily have ended far worse than it did.
    I hope you are ok Bill, and I hope we can talk some day as friends again.
    With my apologies to all,
    Mike Rand

Liked: 8

Default Mr

I have no idea what happened. But it is refreshing to hear honesty. You'll never make it in NASCAR.

bump, I am serious about this apology

Liked: 553

We've probably all been there at some time. I've always thought you were a clean driver, Mike. You've been around for a long time, usually successful. I've never heard of you being involved in anything controversial before. I don't know the details of this recent incident, but it's obvious that you feel regret and remorse. I can't speak for any of the victims (if that's an accurate label), but it is refreshing. Quite the opposite of what you usually hear (denials, behind the back comments, arguments, etc.)

Are you willing to share the details? I would understand if you didn't feel this public forum is the appropriate place. On the other hand, it may help us all keep situations like this in mind and perhaps avoid them.

I hope you and your buddies will be having fun times at the track again soon.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 104

Mike Rand signed off on my Skip Barber school in 1982 and have not seen or talked to him since.
    His voluntary apology should not only be commended but should set a standard of conduct for all of us.
    Like I tell my son, we only own one thing in life that can never be taken away, only given and that is our integrety.
    Hats off to Mike Rand!

Thanks for the comments, we ain't playing checkers, are we........

Liked: 597

the fact that you are posting this here [to me a disinterested party that was of course not there] means to me that you could not find all those you cared to address your thought to, to still be at the track and meant to reach them in this way - mighty gentlemanly. i'm certain you've heard this but it applies..."that's racing"

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Having not seen the "incident" but being semi involved in the aftermath. I think all acted as gentlemen and didn't let this get out of control. Yes, emotions were running high but all directly involved handled themselves as gentlemen. Events like this have a way of changing perspective with time and I think Mike taking this step to appoligize to the whole F/F community shows his true integrity. I'm sure this is just the first step and all involved WILL come face to face as the men that they are and shake hands and take up the friendships as they left off. Don't let this get "solved" as children. One person has stepped up as a man. How about the rest follow suit!

Agnif
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 67

I’m a complete outsider; I don’t know any one involved and I did not see the incident, but for some reason I am compelled to ask you to take care of this among yourselves. If you need a phone number or email address, then post a request for one. The whole thing is getting awfully sappy. Sheeeesh.

Jim Nash

PS- I am not condoning bonehead moves but there is a fine line between a good move and bonehead that is often determined by frequency, not one isolated move.

Liked: 0

Default Re: Apology

Having known and raced with Mike for the better part of two decades, I can attest that he is the embodiment of all the best attributes of a "gentleman driver". His dedication to the sport in general, and the FF class and club racing in particular can be witnessed in his tireless efforts as organizer of the 35th Anniversary FF Festival(s) and as manager of Lime Rock.

I have seen (and been part of) many of his on-track battles, and would characterize his driving to be "hard, but fair", leaving just enough of a safety margin for himself and his competitors. The fact that he made a regrettable mistake in judgement shows that it can happen ot all of us - novices and veterans alike. Knowing Mike both as a person and competitor, I know his anguish is very real, and his apology is genuine. Sappy - I think not.

In a world where it's everyone else's fault, and in a world where very few even know the word responsiblity; I find it refresihing that Mike is taking responsiblity for his actions. Moreover, he is regretful. No one is perfect, and we all make mistakes. I true man owns up to his mistakes and learns from them.

Liked: 73

I was there and was surprised at what happened just a few yards in front of me. I tried to bite my tongue the best I could because I was conflicted by what happened.
    Early on in the race Mike got wide in the downhill, did a little dusting and peddled the car perfectly back onto the track, losing very little time but enough for Rod and I to pass. Mike battled back and drove me clean taking my position and other than him cutting across the track a few laps in a row to break the draft, nothing too out of the ordinary was going on besides some great, hair raising formula ford classic racing.
    I'm glad you have made a public apology Mike. I still appreciate your personal efforts to breathe life back into the FF scene.
    I know you're already waiting to help Billy fix his car, so I won't even go there.

Best,
    JD
    JD
    Zink Z10

Liked: 8

Default Apology

Jim:
    Yes, while the incident at Lime Rock over Memorial Weekend was ultimately between Mike and Bill, it has implications for the trust that hopefully exists between 25 other NE drivers in Mondays race. Some experienced the shunt while it was unfolding and others after Bill was already vaulted over the armco along the front straight. I'm truly surprised that the car didn't make it to the stream that runs along the track. After the heat of the race, I'm sure that there were differing opinions as to who was at fault. Bottom line is that Mike did the stand up thing. He assessed his part in the event and is taking the blame publicly. Your comments about the appropriateness of using this forum and the post being "sappy" is way over the top. As drivers, we don't always see eye to eye and yes incidents do happen, but I can't think of a finer group of competitors to be on track with. I commend Mike for his candor and sense of fair play.
    Regards,

Greg Kokolus
    NCF #56
    Last edited by PRS56; 06.01.05 at 2:19 PM. Reason: name error

Liked: 115

Default Mike's mistake

I don't get to see Mike very often. I quit this for a long time & only saw him last year at the Jefferson 500 at Summit for the first time in maybe 20 years. When we raced together in FF all those years ago, he was a tough man to pass, but you could trust yourself around him. He refused to be intimidated in a race car, so you had to remember that. I've always considered him a friend and I'm not the least bit surprised at his public admission and apology. If you do this long enough, sooner or later you will make a mistake and it might affect a friend. Ask me, JJ Carlin and Jackson Younge how we know. On second thought, don't. Glad no one was hurt. I'm not sure Mike would get over that, not to mention the other guy.

JG

If I can just add my 2 cents worth here; Some of the most hard fought wins (and losses) of my 15 year FF career were racing against Mike and although he has always been a tough competitor who will not give you more than about half an inch there is no way he would deliberately put someone over the Armco.

I don't know Mike, nor do I drive a FF, but I am a daily contributor to this board and I have an opinion. This board is a family for most of us here. We meet, learn and laugh with all of the guys and girls from this board. We help eachother like we would help our family, and are always willing to listen to ANYTHING.

This is the perfect place for Mike to appologize. I think it shows a compasion and a real feeling of regret that is genuine.

There are people on this board called moderators... leave the moderation to them. If you have a problem with the "sappy" post, do not read it, and maybe in the future think a little more about what you are typing before hitting submit. I am not trying to be an ass, but these types of posts are what makes this board a family.

Mike, only the highest respect for you for being the gentleman that you are and appologizing. I am sure it will work out for you guys in the future.
    Jamie Cole

89 Reynard CFC

Only those who risk going too far will ever know how far to go

http://www.kintera.org/grassroots/jamieracesforlaf/

Thread Information