Liked: 8

Default Oil Filter Question

My car came with a canister type filter. Are these better or worse than the regular spin on filters.

There is no part number on it, who can tell me what the replacement is?

I assume you are supposed to replace it, you don't wash it do you?

Liked: 3

It all depends on what brand and type it is.

If it is a Canton/Mecca filter (see part #1282 on our website), this is an excellent filter by any measure. Very high flow, very low restriction, very fine filtering, and very long life. The cannister itself is incredibly strong and light. The replacement elements are not very pricey, but they are disposable.
    C/M also offers a screen element which does get washed and reused, but this is usually on the suction side of the dry sump, to catch big chunks before they hit the pump.

Is there any logo on the housing?

Liked: 8

Default filter

Just a chrome screw on body. It is off a lola 440. Maybe origonal?

Can I measure the element and see what matches up?

Liked: 3

You took the words out of my... er, keyboard. Measure the element next.

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess it may be a Lucas. We carry two sizes.

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

My Lola (much older than your Lola) had a cartridge element that was housed in a steel cylindrical body with a long bolt through the center holding the assembly to the cast bracket.

I used to get replacement elements from the UAP/Napa store - FRAM I think. Recently they changed the length of the cartridge making it slightly shorter. As my filter housing just sealed against an O-ring in the cast bracket it was easy to turn down the length to accommodate the shorter filter.

I ended up converting to a spin on filter for ease of changing and the spin on type filter had less tendency to be damaged living in the trailer as a "spare" over the more exposed cartridge design. Also, it is easier to find at the parts dealer.

If you want me to look into the FRAM number I used to use then let me know.

Jon
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Liked: 605

Default magnet?

anybody using a magnet on the side of the oil filter ?

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 648

This is what I have left over from my T-440:

Mocal remote adapter w/plug – new $41.29 + $22.44
    5 filters, (3 canister, 2 Mocal head), $41.00
    Aluminum remote head and canister, $45.00

All for $85.00. If interested, milspec@brainerd.net.

Iverson
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 7

I checked an old one I have and the filter number is P52. I think it was a Fram filter
    J-Guy

Liked: 25

Default BMC filters

The same type filter assembly was used on earlier MGBs, Sprites, etc. I am not sure of the sizes, but I imagine there must be alternate sources for the filters and the housing (Mini Mania, Moss, Victoria British, etc.). I think some of the housings even were labeled as Purolator. For all of those of us who have these old filter assemblies sitting around from our old cars, I think the vintage groups should mandate that Vintage FFs must use period-correct oil filter assemblies so that they would have to buy-up these things we have sitting on the shelf!
    - Frank C

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

If your canister was designed to work with the old wire and felt elements they may not work well with a folded paper element. I think those things came off a jag xk-150.

Liked: 238

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE
    anybody using a magnet on the side of the oil filter ?
    No, I use the magnets in my seat ...
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 953

(Wayback machine on)

I had a similar filter on the original oil pump of my Lotus Elan. The "fixing bolt" extended through the top of the oil pump housing and held the canister to the pump. There was a thin o-ring type gasket in the groove of the pump. The canister had a threaded piece of tubing welded to the inside that was retained by the bolt.

I still have one filter cartridge for the old pump. The cartridge is a Fram CH2804. It has cardboard paper ends, pleated paper element. The cartridge measures 4.17" long, 2.6" diameter. The cardboard ends which seal against the inside of the canister measure 2.8" The canister is a pretty stout piece.

The replacement filter should include a new gasket.

I recall there was a remote version of this filter on the very early FFords and on a friends Brabham FB. I think my friend replaced it with a spin on ford v8 filter/bracket.

(Wayback Machine off)
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Thread Information