Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 447

Default Baseline Gearing and Setup Sheet

Look what I dug up... This should tide you guys over until something more permanent gets here...

FC BASELINE GEARING

FC SETUP WORKSHEET

RACEDAY SHEET

CALCULATORS
    (Gearing, Dyno, and Corner Weights)

Last edited by Keith Carter; 05.01.05 at 11:20 AM.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 0

keith - if you would be so kind, can you post the 'raceday sheet' in its form before PDF conversion? i would like to modify it to reflect changes we have penciled in, and will post it for the group.

thanks.

Liked: 1417

The sheets provided are Macromedia FreeHand EPS files created on a Mac with Mac fonts by Emigre. Unless you have all the tools to work on them, they won't be editable to you. Suggested changes to the documents can be made here in this thread.

Thanks,

d

hmmm..... seems highly unlikely i have access to any of that software.

these are my suggestions - they stem from about 1 year of using your excellent sheet - we generally use 1 to 2 sheets per day (1 for a race day, 2 for a test day). the goals of my changes are as follows:
    1) provide an area to record track and amibent temps for each session
    2) provide an area to record tire-temps, and hot & cold pressures for each session
    3) widen the timing lines to provide area to jot down changes or notes concerning a lap (traffic, spin, etc)
    4) provide a couple of lines for 'post-session notes'

here is how i would make the changes; creative input from yourself or other members is very welcomed:
    1) reduce the number of sessions on the sheet to 3, to allow for wider lines. its rare we get more than 3 sessions during a race day. also change lines 20-23 to 'post-session notes'
    2) remove the car sketches from the top and relocate a smaller version of a car below each of the 3 session lines. increase the number of boxes next to each tire to 5, 3 for temps (which could be identified as I,C,O), 1 for hot pressure (HP) and 1 for cold pressure (CP).
    3) with the cars moved to the bottom, the sessions can be started at the top of the page. beneath each heading i would provide boxes for Ambient and track temps (Amb. and TT), tire type, compound and # of heat cycles.

those are the big changes i would employ. in our use of the sheet we have rarely filled in the info next to the cars in their current form b/c we use 1 sheet for the day. instead we're drawing a + shape and recording temps and pressures around that (it gets a bit messy). i would also say we rarely have used the box on the bottom of the page; but always use the one on the side (the tire, compound and weight boxes may become redundant).

thanks again for your sheets - they're great. i think with these improvements the sheets will become more of a 'fool-proof' check-list for the mechanic's responsibilities, so the hot-headed driver doesn't have to remind him!

Liked: 106

Default Interactive

Anybody interested in an interactive gear chart? You plug in your data, wheel diameter, final drive ratio, shift rpm, what gears you think you want and it produces your top speed per gear and rpm drops to the next. (Haven’t figured torque curves yet) I created it in excel. Each tab you set up for a particular track. There are 4 “windows” of these per page so to do side by side comparison between examples. Neat simple tool
    Email me if you would like one.
    Last edited by Phil Picard; 05.01.05 at 10:53 AM.

There's a gear Excel chart in the 'calculators' zip file linked above, but it would be good to see yours too and have people be able to pick the one they like best. You can upload the Excel file to this post if you'd like.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Default File Extension

I would be happy to but I cant seem to upload a .xls or a zip here. I must be doing something wrong.

Try it now. Excel files weren't on the 'allowed' list.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Default Gear Chart

Those who know excel, you know how to make more tabs for more tracks.

BTW Im workin on a Reynard alignment chart, input what specs the car is at, then what specs you want , it will tell you what to turn, how much and in what direction.
    Last edited by Phil Picard; 09.14.07 at 8:24 PM.

Liked: 595

Default it was up to us - thanks

now that's what i was talking about under the "it's up to us" thread - thank you.

Default Pocono Gearing

I didn't see Pocono in the gear listing and would appreciate suggestions for a baseline setup.
    This is for a 1989 Van Dieman CFC - aero is not as good as the newer cars.

Thanks in advance,

Jerry Zaluckyj

Default Pocono Gearing

Like Im gonna tell you, Jerry!! HA !!
    How bout you and Billy make Paella again and then I’ll tell you!
    It was very good.

Actually, I got on the site to ask the same question!
    Ill go through the notes Kevin gave me with the car and see what I find. It would be MK 9
    I forget what box you have in your car.
    Give you a call.
    Meanwhile if anybody out there knows, please chime in

Liked: 1

Default Another lapsheet

I think I've attached the lap sheet that I use - as MS Word format.

It's got spaces for pre/post session comments, tyre temps, hot/cold pressures, engine temps/pressures, and other exciting stuff.

It could do with a spot for shock settings, but I just write those on..

James
    Stuff, t-shirts and stuff... http://www.cafepress.com/ffwear

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Heres a set up and check list I use for my Reynard 88F
    Gary Payne
    St Louis

Liked: 1

Default Baseline setup - RF 93 FC

I just purchased an RF 93. Can anyone provide the baseline set up? Caster, camber, toe, rake, ride height, corner weight?
    Thanks,

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Baseline Gearing

Does anyone have FC gearing for Thunderhill,or Laguna? Thanks!
    Last edited by frankwissman; 10.13.06 at 4:28 PM. Reason: delete Sears request

Default Cars off to Canada

Seems my cars are sold and are going to Canada. I promised Gear-sets to match. sooooooo any body ever hear of a track called Race City Calgary? and knows what FC MK9 gears work there?

Thanks
    Phil

Liked: 9

Phil:

I heard that someone just bought 2 FC and were going to run them next year here in Calgary, guess they are yours.
    Race City is a 2 mile track with a 1/4 drag strip as the main front straight (thus front straight is 1/2 mile long(ish). For a 10/31 CP and 6400RPM max, use: 17/35, 20/31, 22/29 24/27 as a starting point.

Brian
    81 F/A Magnum (basket case)
    86 F/C Reynard (back marker)

Default Baseline gearing for N. Cal

Hi, Does anyone have a baseline they would share for Thunderhill or Laguna, please?

Has anyone put together one of these great gear selection sheets for a 9:31 CWP that would be willing to share?
    Jeff
    Jeff Handley
    Reynard 84sF
    cainesgrandad@yahoo.com · www.reynardowners.com
    "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity."Roger Penske

Liked: 2

Default Rockingham Road Course

Anyone have a basic gear setup for a FF at Rockingham 9:31 CWP???

Thanks if you do.

Mike

Liked: 3277

Default Gearing for VIR?

From the baseline gearing sheet, it appears that VIR requires gearing similar to that required for Nelson Ledges, or maybe Mid-Ohio.

I used 19/32, 21/30, 23/29, 19/21 at both M-O and nelson, when I was there last in 2007.

Anyone have any updates on that selection?

Thanks,
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 12

I have been using a setup program called Stars 3.0, written by Bob Knox, who is the data engineer @ Alegra Motorsports. I have used it for 2-1/2 years on Craig Clawson's car. It has a routine it where you put in the tire diameter, ring & pinion ratio, engine data and your speed data and it automatically spits out the gearing. I review that data turn by turn and I may adjust a gear by a couple teeth here and there, but this year we never had to make a gear change at the track. The software has many other great features and very detailed documentation that not only explains how to use the software but the theory behind it. It also has solution cataloging and can handle multiple cars on your team.

Bumpdraft

Default 9:31 gearing

Quote Originally Posted by JHandley
    Has anyone put together one of these great gear selection sheets for a 9:31 CWP that would be willing to share?
    Jeff

Not sure if you meant gearing by track or just gearing in general, but I ran across this link.
    (thanks Gord)

It's got 9:31 and 10:31 gearing.

http://www.taylor-race.com/pdf/GearCharts.pdf

From the link it looks like you can order a laminated one from Taylor for $16.66

I used Snagit to cut the portion of the pdf file I needed for 10:31 gearing. I enlarged it, and saved it as a jpg picture file instead. Then I emailed it to myself at work and printed it on a commercial laser printer. After, I photocopied a bunch to keep for my personal use.
    Don
    Reynard 83SF

Liked: 30

Lets see if I can upload this file.

Here is what I use for gear selection and my setup notes. This is for a 10-31 FC Bias tire.

This is just my list of gears that I have. Adjust the list for your own inventory.

Attachment 16271

Russ Werner

Default Watkins Glen Gearing

I'm trying to calculate gears for Watkins Glen long course for my Mygale Zetec with a 13:36 R&P. However, the baseline gear chart on Apex shows the following gears (10:31 R&P):
    1st 20:30***
    2nd 21:30
    3rd 23:28
    4th 24:26

*** Is this 1st gear correct? It seems too tall, especially considering 2nd is only one drive tooth different. What are others using in their Zetecs?

Thanks in advance,
    Francis Kennette

Not knowing if you're running a club map & plate or a pro map & plate makes it difficult to say. Club or pro spec tires makes a difference to. Bob Knox's STARS 3.0 program is a great way calulate gears and keep inventories along with tracking setups.

Default Watkins Glen Gearing

Bumpdraft:
    I'd actually like to know suggestions for both. As soon as I get some Nat'l events in to shake down the car (and get the rust off myself) I intend to run some of the F2K Championship series events. How much of a difference does the two map and tire types make?
    Thanks,
    FK

If memory serves me correctly, the tire diameters between the Hoosier spec tire and what's allowed in club races is not that different. The engine maps and restrictor plates are different. I've only done a couple of club races working on these cars and I'm in my 4th season working on a car in the pro series. If the club is still using the 1.295 restrictor plate, the HP & torque curves are very different. I did one regional working with a pre-aluminum head Pinto and one regional with a Zetec. So 99% of my data is for a Zetec w/10:31 ring & pinion. 1 year of data is with a 1.295 plate and pro map and over 2 years with a 1.340 plate and a map for that plate. I really can't want to give away to much because we've worked hard to get our gears right and because i don't own the car, the data is not mine to share. However, I can give some insight as to how to calculate your gearing. That's why I recommended STARS 3.0 from Bob Knox. It makes this chore extremely fast & easy once it's set up. So you need 4 things to very easily calculate your gearing. Data from the tracks you'll be racing, a Hewland gear chart, a copy of your dyno sheets and tire diameters.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 858

from memory...

believe it or not, WGI can be driven as a 3 gear track. Its also is very fast on a relative basis to other tracks such as Mosport or M-O because there are no 50-60 mph corners- I think the slowest is the toe of the boot and that's 70+. With the 13/36 R/P start with a 19/32 or 20/32 and end with a 21/25, 24/28, 19/23 or there abouts. Your top speed up the back straight is +/- 135 depending on draft and wind direction. Put a 15/30 or something similar in 1st gear for the starts and restarts.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Thanks Bob. It's difficult to know what I'm allowed to give away when I don't own the car or data. That's why I tried to give some insight as to how to calulate the gearing. I answered because no one else was and I figured some one had to steer him in the right direction as to how to figure it out. See you at Mosport.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpdraft View Post
    I have been using a setup program called Stars 3.0, written by Bob Knox, who is the data engineer @ Alegra Motorsports. I have used it for 2-1/2 years on Craig Clawson's car. It has a routine it where you put in the tire diameter, ring & pinion ratio, engine data and your speed data and it automatically spits out the gearing. I review that data turn by turn and I may adjust a gear by a couple teeth here and there, but this year we never had to make a gear change at the track. The software has many other great features and very detailed documentation that not only explains how to use the software but the theory behind it. It also has solution cataloging and can handle multiple cars on your team.

Bumpdraft
    Hi Bumpdraft, Argoraffo in Aussie here, will your program work on any single seater and will it cater for a Mk 9 5 speed? If so can you tell me where I might be able to get a copy. Many thanks

Default Set Up Sheets

Hi guys,
    I am a crew chief for a McClaren F1 and I use these sheets daily. Thanks for the sheets, they are great. I am going up to Monterrey for a week to do a race up there.

Thanks,
    Crewchief65

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 642

Keith, can you provide for the upload of *.doc extensions?

Default Correct gear

IN REGARDS TO POST #1

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=2]Mid Ohio[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=2]18/33[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=2]20/31[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=2]21/29[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=2]21/24[/SIZE][/FONT]

... ... IS THE INDICATED GEAR FOR 4TH CORRECT ... ...

Default NJMP Lighting

Any body have a gear baseline for this track?

FC Zetec 13-36

Thanks

Phil P.

I thought F2000 was running Thunderbolt w/o the chicane again like 2008. I have my notes from the 2008 race there, but we were using the old restrictor plate, so the power curves were very different. I will have to go thru my data and recalculate the gearing based on the current engine map. We also run a 10/31 ring & pinion, but that translation to 13/36 is easy. See me at VIR at Clawson's trailer during the weekend.

Default Gearing Indianapolis Oval

Does anyone have the gear ratios for Indianapolis oval? I am using an LD200 with 10/31 RP. The gearing chart shows 1st-19/31 2nd-21/31 3rd- 24/28 and 4th- 23/27. When I call them up on the gearing chart it shows the 24/28 gear and the 23/27 gear almost identical with the 24/28 just a tad higher which is the 3rd gear.
    Jack

Liked: 15

I have those same ratios from a gear chart I acquired 10 or 12 years ago.

Default Gearing Indianapolis Oval

John,
    I know that it has been posted for a long time. I just don't think it is correct. There is no way that third gear should be taller than 4th. I wonder if this is something that just was never noticed. Thanks for the input
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information