Liked: 0

Default How to wire outlets in trailer?

What is the best way to wire up power 110 outlets in a trailer?

What size wire do you suggest using?

Does anything have to be grounded to the chassie of the trailer?

I wired my trailer using the normal house wiring parts. I got a 110v. thru plug at an RV parts store ( allows you to plug in an extension cord from the outside), ran the wiring into a metal junction box and from there ran the wiring to the outlets and lights. Used Romex ( house wiring) for all the outlets. I did not ground this to the chassis.
    A good addition is a 25 foot retractable shop light at one of the doors.
    Bill Hetzel

Liked: 59

I wired everything using PVC conduit and boxes. It's cheap, easy to work with, and if you take the time go ahead and use it, the trailer will look better and the wiring will be protected. Wire size depends on what you are planning to run. 12 gage will handle 20 amps - you're unlikely to find a plug at the track that will supply more than that anyway. If you're just going to have a few lights and receptacles for power tools, 14 gage is fine for 15 amps. I ran 12 gage to power 3 48-inch fluorsecent fixtures, a 13.5K Btu A/C, and a few receptacles. I would not ground to the trailer frame. I have a 12V system as well that runs the winch, jack, inverter, lights, etc. and I'm not sure it would cause problems, but you probably don't want the two systems connected. I'm an ME not an EE. so I don't trust AC power. I just ran all of the ground wires like you would in a house - all tied to the ground on the power input plug on the outside of the trailer - that ties them to the ground bus in the panel that you are getting your power from. Just like plugging one big power tool into a receptacle at your house.

Have fun.
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Contributing Member Curtis Boggs's Avatar

Bob Lutz had a system where he had a 12V battery and an inverter to run car batt charger etc.
    Said it recharged the 12V battery from the car whle towing, ..

I hope he chimes in on how he wired that, . ( hint )

Curtis
    Racing Flow Development
    Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
    http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Default Trailer battery charging

Your tow vehicle may have a 12v charging circuit to the trailer plug. This keeps the trailer battery charged by the tow vehicle. It would be easy to make a connector to go between the trailer battery and race car battery to be connected while towing. Removes the need for an inverter.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

The outlet box... Is that a 30a RV outlet or 20a or both.

I can get an adapter plug for my generator to plug into the 30a but is it even worth it. I probably won't be using the tracks power unless it's free(is it usually free?).

Should I just go with a regular 20a outlet box?

Default free power?

Roebling Road (Savannah, GA) charges $10.00 for elect hookup. Rd Atl does not charge. It depends on the track

So are the track hookups the RV plug type?

Liked: 59

I think most places have both. Some tracks it's easier to near power, some, like Mid-Ohio don't have it at all. Since I only need a standard 3-prong, 20A, 120V receptacle, that's all I ever look for. But most of the power pedestals do have higher amperage (what I'd guess is RV-type, but I don't know since I don't RV...) receptacles that folks connect to the side of their motorhomes, etc. VIR is usually a flat fee of $20 or so for the whole weekend, regardless of what type of power you connect to. I think Roebling does a sliding fee scale - more $ for more amps.

Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Thread Information