Liked: 0

So I went the FIA belt route and decided to get the HANS at the same time. Went with Schroth and purchased the HANS compatible Profi III, question, are SCCA Tech inspectors looking for the 3" belt over the shoulder going to give me grief? FIA, CART & NASCAR have approved the new design and I was told that Jeremy Thoennes, Club Racing Technical Manager, approves of the new design, but what grief and I going to have to go through to get local SCCA tech inspectors to sign off on my annual tech? Will VARA accept the setup if I decide to run with them?

I'm about ready to return the HANS and get standard belts, any idea's?

Wooly

Liked: 281

The new Schroth hybrid belts for the HANS are now legal in club racing.

Fred

Greg Mercurio

Wooly: Unfortunately, your Region is "blessed" with a Chief Scrutineer who's not afraid to make up new rules as he goes about his business. My best recommendation is to have Jeremey send you a letter affirming the acceptability of Schroth compatible HANS shoulder harnesses to preclude your upcoming confrontation. If Sir Mike attempts to poop on your parade, give him a copy of the letter from Jeremey and ask him politely to stuff it.

Since my harnesses are up for replacement thanks to the severe myopia of the CB and BOD, I'm buying Schroth, instantly making them acceptable in the SF Region by default. ;~)

Neil, Are you going to become a Schroth Distributor????????

Here is the response I recieved via email from SCCA.

"The issue is currently on the competition board's agenda to be discussed. I can only give you my opinion at this point. I have spoken to Arnie Kuhns at SFI and was told that the seat belts were tested to the same standards as the 3" belts. Based upon that fact, and the language of the GCR (20.1) "...approximately three inch strap over-the-shoulder..." I don't have a problem with accepting the belts. I have spoken to Schroth and they indicated that these belts are only to be used in conjunction with the Hans devise, and I would agree.
    -Jeremy"

What is interesting is they are working with the SFI and not FIA, reason of interest is there are no SFI labels on the belts.

Wooly

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

There are some people that welcome confrontation. If you opt for this device, you will probably find yourself in a confrontation. The statement "I have no problem accepting..." does not change what is written in the GCR. If you have doubts that you considered device is 100% in compliance with the GCR as written and amended, you can save yourself a lot of grief by going to the more conservative route.

...been there, done it, and it's not worth the fight!

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Greg, How come Schroth and not Willins ( which Neil alrady sells )? I'm curious since I'll be replacing belts too. See you at ThunderHill next weekend.
    Bill Hetzel

Greg Mercurio

Bill: There's a few of reasons. First, I used Willans in the LOLA for 2 years and really liked them, but as I get older, my weight fluctuates more and the Willans are fixed length necessitating adjustment frequently. The Schroth are pull-up adjustments making it easier for my crew to get my round self into the car and snugged up. Second, I wear a HANS and can feel the extra webbing overhanging the load area, which MIGHT create a problem in an impact, hopefully I won't ever find out. Third, I really like the construction of the anti-sub belts, so I'm going to give them a try next year. By comparison, I've used Simpson, Sabelt, and Willans, and of the 3, Sabelt is by far the most secure feeling, but that's a very subjective opinion.

See ya next week.

Liked: 281

More information on the legality of the Schroth HANS compatable belt on this thread:http://pub6.ezboard.com/fs2racinggen...cID=1120.topic

I have emails stating they will be approved for competition here in the AZ Region. Car will have an annual tech tommorrow and I will be ready to go.

Wooly

Thread Information