Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Penske shocks/nitrogen valve

My newly-acquired Reynard has Penske shocks, and I'm trying to come up with a valve to use in servicing them. Can anyone supply a source for the Schrader valve and other pieces?

Thanks,
    Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 3787

Larry,
    I think over on the DSR site about a month ago there was a thread where someone posted how to home-build a Penske fill kit.
    Don't even ask what a Ohlins kit costs... ouch!

Liked: 1

Larry,
    What you got? The Penske service tool runs about $95. You should be able to get everyting you need to build one out of the MSC or McMaster Carr catalog. But frankly, I would not mess with it and just buy the real thing. If you want to see mine let me know and I'll run over to visit and see your car.
    Barry
    Barry Haynie
    FC #9 WDCR

Liked: 25

The instructions for a bicycle shock pump mod are on a recent thread here started by Rick Iverson on servicing shocks. In that thread, I asked whether there was a preference between the Penske tool and what seems to be an Intercomp tool sold by Continental. No one responed. I will ask again.
    - Frank C

Liked: 3

The Penske tool and the Intercomp tool will allow you to mate the tool to the shock BEFORE you open the valve. Regular tire inflating tools open the valve at the same time as you try to put them onto the valve... if you think you have a hard time with a tire, don't even try doing that with a shock!

We can supply the proper Penske tool or the Intercomp digital gauge/tool. As with anything else, "digital" means "easy to use" but is pronounced "expensive."

Liked: 948

Larry,

Congratulations on your new car!
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 0

Pegasus might have them, also try Penske. . .
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Liked: 25

John:
    Of course, I can't afford the digital one! The one on Continental looks more convenient than Penske's because of the hose. I would like to know if it really is. I have seen it in a recent catalog of a company that does not advertise here, and it had the Longacre brand name on it. Continental Shock Filling Tool
    - Frank C

The other thread started by Rick Iverson 2/16 is "Routine Shock Servicing" under FC Open Discussion.
    Last edited by Frank C; 03.10.05 at 2:05 PM. Reason: Edit!, Again - replaced Intercomp w/Longacre

Liked: 7

Default shock valve device

Check out SR Racing web page, they have a device that is used for filling accurately gas shocks and is very inexpensive. It is on their web page. Jim and Greg are racers and run a cool shop in Lexington KY with a chassis dyno etc.
    They also have some other cool stuff for formula cars including data stuff, shift lights, rain lights. They can fabricate and turn out special order stuff.
    I just got one of these devices and it works great, cheaper then other sources.
    Tell Jim/ Greg J. Reisert sent you. They also do graphics.
    Johhny Reisert

Liked: 7

Default Addn

Looking at the continental devive, SR Racing is about $60.00 cheaper.
    Johhny Reisert

Liked: 23

Being the cheapest person I know, I made one. The penske unit is $175; was not aware that Pegasus sells the same thing for $95. It takes about $60 in parts, not counting a broken long drill bit and the lunch I bought for the owner of the lathe....would buy the pegasus one in hindsight as the cost savings was not worth the time. The only part hard to find is the t-handle female schrader fitting, which is the key part of the device.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Looking at the one that Jim Morsche has at Continental Motorsport, having the hose attached as this one does might make servicing the shocks while ON the car easier. I would recommend giving Jim a call, as I'm sure he has probably used both the Penske model and the one he has and he will be happy to discuss the pro's and con's of each.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Default Penske Tool

Joe Stimola used to sell one that was pretty economical. Check with him to see if he still does. (I think he assembled them himself from various components. Mine has no manufacturer identification on it.)

http://www.srpengineering.com/

DC

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Quote Originally Posted by TimW
    Being the cheapest person I know, I made one. ....would buy the pegasus one in hindsight as the cost savings was not worth the time.

Tim
    This raises an interesting question. There are several people who are "known" or "famous" for their ability to rig up an acceptable alternative to a professionally prepared/made/available item. While no one will debase those who are ingenious to a degree, do we have a responsibility to support those peolple/companies who make a living providing services/parts to the Club Racer? At what level does it become a self-defeating issue to spend 8 hours of time and effort to replicate something and save $10.00? The statement above would seem to imply the same concept.

I think we should realize there are many people trying to make a living off of our Sport and everytime someone "makes a cheaper mousetrap" it potentially threatens those individual business concerns.

(I am not one of those businesses, by the way.)
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 23

[size=1]My opinion is that if you charge $175 for an item that has $40 in parts from an industrial supplier, and takes 45 minutes for me to make 1, you 4 hours to make 2 dozen, you are not 'contributing' to the sport. Surely the cost of sitting on the inventory is not worth $125 per unit.[/size]

[size=1]If you make a quality part, charge a fair price, and make an acceptible living there is no reason for me to go through the aggro of trying to make it myself. Most suppliers I have found are in this position. Some things are worth a premium, and more power to those people who are in those positions and they should capitlize on it (I would) but don't assume your customerbase is naive if your product or service is not in this category.[/size]
    Last edited by TimW; 03.10.05 at 6:42 PM.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Thread Information