Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 1

Default The Cost Of Racing

It is interesting that EYERACE brougt up a reduction in entry fees as an idea to increase numbers. This idea was raised last year when CASC was looking to reverse the falling numbers in regional racing. For instance, lower entry fees, consideration for muliple drivers sharing one car over the weekend (instead of each paying full entry), some sort of refund if it all goes wrong early on Saturday. I personally had not heard mention of a sliding reduction in fees for those people who enter more events throughout the season (I think that proposal has real merit).
    The result of all the discussion amongst the VARAC (vintage) group that I monitored was interesting. The veteran "established" crowd pointed out the reality that, compared to the overall financial outlay to go racing, a small discount on race fees was not going to make much difference. The new (and typically younger) members indicated that a reduction in race fees would be a significant incentive. So if you are trying to encourage new or nearly new participants, this idea may work? If you are trying to get the regulars to enter more races, maybe not?

Liked: 605

Ok...to tweak it.....after 2 in region events [be they a regional or a national] $50 off, after 4 events $100 off, after 6 in region events - entry fee is only that part of the fee that goes to Topeka and also what it takes to cover the insurance premium......or free, what the heck. we must remember what it takes to motivate people.....sex, money, power, food, family safety, shame, guilt, religion, ......

Liked: 0

Default Participation Numbers

As Much as I hate spec anything,A Spec tire for FF would probably help numbers.I spend 1/3 of my budget on tires.I would go for something similar to what we raced on in the Canadian Pro Series.When I ran it was a BFG R1 compound and we got 3 full race weekends out of a set and the price of the tires was cheap(about $400.00U.S).Any action would have to be lead by the FF community.Just an idea.

Liked: 2

Default Rubbers and the cost there of.

Mr. M.L. Sauce has raised a significant point as to cost, which in my opinion indirectly relates to motors and the overall viability of FF, the purpose of FF now and in the beginning and possible change for the better.

For instance, if one raced 10 races and was making a serious effort we could assume a nut of $6,000-$7000 in tires. With his mentioned R1 rubbers we could assume a tire bill of about $1,200+. Assuming these totals are anywhere near reality would these #’ not cast some different perspective on overall cost of racing FF and the savings that might be directed at engines and engine maintenance, as well as having some appeal to potential non-FF participants.

They don’t do it on slicks in the UK or anywhere else for that matter, most likely because the class was intended as a low grip, predominantly driver influenced entry level class of cars.

Finally, all things being equal there is no other immediate/feasible way to alter the future of FF for the better…….. other than a limited grip tire configuration. The declining car counts appear to me to be where the grip and the slicks are, not in other racing venues that have maintained the proper perspective as to what FF was intended. I don’t like spec this or that, but in 3 seasons one might own 2 perfectly good used engines rather than the memory of some rubber that had good grip for a few laps.
    racehailey

The young guy's I met this year at every race lusted over my car - they drove tin tops because they said it was too expensive to race / get into a formula car. The majority drove SM.
    Jason Mabee
    MiDiv Car FE #01

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!" - Elwood Blues

Liked: 120

The reason most people started racing Spec Miata was cost.

The price of SM racing is steadily escalting with rules creep

allowing the trick of the week.

Most front running cars are pretty far from a the original concept of a stock car

with an added cage, belts and a shock package.

Liked: 212

When the cable guy went into my garage, and saw my FF and my ex's Z3, he immediately commented on what a cool car it was. He asked me how fast it went, and a host of other questions came along as well, but then I realized, he was not talking about my race car!!

This was a younger guy that was 'into' cars, he told me he and his friends went to the local drag strip to race their cars, and yet he had no interest in my FF. He never saw one before, never heard about the class, and no interest in road racing.
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Liked: 605

the cable guy will never know what really driving a purpose built car that races is...he will know that he has competed in a car by going to the drags but could he actually drive his way out of the open end of a paper bag ? no......just steeer a litle so as to maintain a straight line at a quick speed momentarily.........if he never wants to learn how to actually drive a car at race speed for perhaps a half hour session, it's his loss. he goes maybe 100 in essentially a straight line for a couple of seconds...whoop de doo! some people are so ignorant that they don't even know enough to think about alternatives. i'm not saying that drag racers can't drive, i'm sure some can by virtue of a variety of experiences and they choose to drag race - now that's good but the average rice box kid who has grown up on 'fastand furious and video games' is a sad excuse for a driver. it's his loss and i'm not going to worry about my sports future because he's an idiot - i have confidence that there are truely intellegent people out there - if anything worries me it's that these minds simply go to BMW or Porsche club road racing events and that's all they ever aspire to - how do we get them to make the jump to SCCA club racing?

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Default ..and you think I'm the yokel??

I agree with you EYERACE - the problem is that I look like the simple one when I explain that
    we PAY for entry fees
    we PAY for our tow costs
    and when the flag falls - there's no PAY OUT.

One of the fabricators I use is a funny car builder/racer and he doesn't load up until his tow money is locked down! No tow - no go.

Same thing for the Saturday night oval racers - something like $20 entry with the chance to more than cover their costs for the night with a mid pack finish.

He thinks I'm the stupid one.

However - he's an awesome welder so I let him think what he wants!

jon
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Liked: 212

I do agree that a kid who is interested in the import car scene will not likely want to race our type of cars, but none the less, if you have an interest in cars at all, how can you not be interested in a least finding out what type of car it is. Just seemed a bit odd to me.
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Liked: 1

Default The Old Heros

Fangio, Moss, Redman, Stewart etc. Ask any of these kids these names and you will know why open wheel racing is declining. It's a different era, computer games, computer cars, these kids have a different world with a lot more options so the interests are spread around. I think F1600 ( I won't say Formula Ford, Ford has nothing to do with it) is a hobby and will stay that way, and with all hobbies you will have people coming and going and a few dedicated ones that will strive to perpetuate the sport.

Contributing Member

I don't agree that Formula Car racing is doomed. I think the problem lies in 2 areas. First we have too many forms of open wheel racing. We need to have some consolodation. Having the IRL at road courses like Watkins Glenn will also help. The more important issue is that we do not have an organized Go-Kart program in this country. Look at South America. That's where the drivers are comming from. That's because they have a very well organized Go-Kart program. Open wheel racing is a natural progression for them. The SCCA is just starting to recognize this. They need to do more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information