Thread: Trailer found!

Liked: 0

Default Trailer found!

I posted around eighteen months ago about my Haulmark trailer which was stolen with all my racing stuff (except Crossle) in it from my home in Nashville. Well, I found my trailer today! It was sitting in a driveway on a very visible Nashville suburban street. Since I'd done a number of unique and easily identifiable mods to it, I knew quickly that it was my trailer.

My first move was to take some digital photos and study them closely, which only reinforced my conviction that this was my trailer. I next called the police and asked them to check it out.

About an hour later the nice officer called. She was looking at the trailer, but she had a problem with the VIN. Seems the number I gave the police didn't match the one on the trailer - it differed in one character! When I contacted her again a few minutes later, she had spoken to the trailer's "owners", who provided paperwork for their purchase of it.

On further review, the VIN on my title is obviously wrong. The second character in the VIN is a "G" that should be a "6". It appears that the clerk at the local DMV copied it wrong when I titled the trailer.

I'm now 100% positive that this is my trailer. I'm also sure that the current "owner" is a completely innocent participant who bought the trailer in good faith. Now, I have to try to convince DMV that the number on my title is wrong so I can prove the trailer is mine.

I'm quite sure that all of my special tools, spares, gearsets, etc. are long gone. The trailer no longer has the air conditioner I installed on it, and it looks like the generator I also installed has been removed. My insurance paid off a while back and I bought a new trailer, but my goal now is to prove that this trailer is indeed the one that was stolen from me and get the ******* who stole it arrested! Wish me luck.

Bob McKeown
    Bob McKeown<br />Crossle 35F

Liked: 447

Wow! Awesome to hear that Bob! It's too common nowadays that when thefts occur and you never hear anything about the items being recovered. When our race trailer was stolen in the late 80's with my Dad's mint '84 Z28 inside along with miscellaneous tools and karting equipment, there was always hope that it would be recovered. As the weeks went on after the trailer was stolen, the hope of recovering it soon faded knowing that the car most likely went to a chop shop and the trailer and everything inside was sold. Hope they can track down who stole it and throw the book at them. There may be a pretty good paper trail leading the way (unless it was paid for in cash).
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 4

Default Vin Certifacation

Not a problem, contact the trailer builder, have them write you a letter explaining how they sequence thier vin numbers and also provide you with a copy of "the certificate of origin" for your trailer. Carry that to "a manager" at dmv, next stop the cops.
    Good Luck
    F.W. Schroeder, 6th

My title references the previous title from Oregon, and it includes the title number (hope they got that one right!). I've emailed the Oregon DMV and asked for a fax copy of the original title if it's available. I also emailed Haulmark explaining the situation. I'm hoping that one or both will respond with the information I need.

I'm really ready to stick it to the thieves. I remember that, once the realization of what I'd lost sunk in, I got very angry. Far better than that, I may now have a chance to get even!

I'm feeling a litle sorry for the guy who now has the trailer. Of course, he bought it without a title, so it's his bad. Still, he's probably going to be out whatever he paid for the trailer.

I'll keep you posted.

Bob

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Default Trailer Question

Quote Originally Posted by mcneon
    I'm feeling a litle sorry for the guy who now has the trailer. Of course, he bought it without a title, so it's his bad. Still, he's probably going to be out whatever he paid for the trailer.
    Bob,

I am curious about something. Do you expect to get the trailer back?
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 11

Actually, the insurance company would get it.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Default Trailer

That was my thought, Sean. They have probably written it off and may very well let the current owner keep it if he can convince them he was duped.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Since the insurance company paid my claim, they own the trailer. I believe they may give me the chance to buy it for what they paid me for it, but I'm probably not interested at this point. If the tire rack I built is still in there, I might buy the trailer just to get that back - it was pretty slick, and I put a lot of labor in it.

As far as them letting the current "owner" keep it, that seems unlikely somehow. I know the IRS is kinder and gentler now, but insurance companies? If the guy's not a jerk about all this, I would probably put in a good word for him, though. Putting myself in his shoes, I'd sure hate to get screwed out of what I paid in good faith for a trailer. I have to say that my insurance company was extremely fair with me in settling the claim, so I won't jump to any conclusions.

Here's my chance to preach for a minute: if you don't know what your insurance covers on your racing rig, find out now! I got lucky and my homeowners' paid full current replacement cost on everything I claimed except the trailer. The trailer was only covered for $1000 because it was not a "watercraft trailer"! It's likely that lots of policies have similar exclusions and limitations.

Bob

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Trailer stories.

If the current "Owner" bought your trailer WITHOUT a title you can't feel to sorry for him. I bought my present [very expensive] trailer at an Insurance auction. The only person bidding against me was the former owner! He had been paid off by his insurance co. but was there trying to buy it for a friend. He was so pissed at the thief he posted a $5000 reward [his own money] for arrest and conviction. He got a tip and his trailer was found on a ranch being used by some dopers. The insurance co. would only sell it at auction and he could not buy it directly from them. The tip caller never called back for his reward. My trailer is insured through my car policy with the race car insured thru Parish-Heacock. A friend just lost his open wheel trailer to a bold thief who took off with it in broad daylight.[no insur.] yesterday he saw it on the freeway going the other direction! No way to get to an overpass and chase the perp.

Liked: 11

Seems like a common experience...

Robb Poma (sarrcford) had his stolen and when they found it someone had been living in it! Built all kinds of compartments/ shelves, etc. Robb got it back (?) but not before he had replaced it. Now its Mark H's trailer!

I also have mine covered under the Parrish H policy. Its so cheap its almost free.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Thread Information