Thread: PRI Rumors

Liked: 0

Default PRI Rumors

All right gang, since I didn't make the PRI show this year (first time in 5 years), did any of you hear any good rumors. Anyone building new cars or doing a major tweak? Tire guys got anything new coming out? Usually a few good rumors circulate at the show.

Cheers,
    Allan Craighead
    eFormulaCarNews.com Managing Editor
    (226) 808-9472 Cell
    acraighead@howdenmediagroup.com

Biggest news I've heard was relating to the new USAC SuperSilverCrown car.

Apparently neither IRL nor CART had any presence there. Figures.

The hot rumor with open-wheel racing is that... there are no hot rumors.
    Travis Mason-Bushman
    Pacific F2000 Championship Media Relations
    travis@gpsports-eng.com - (510) 260-6224

Liked: 707

Default USAC SilverCrap

Could this thing be any uglier?
    http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/oval/14307/
    I think the Thunder Roadster people designed it...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 78

Interesting design. I think that the oval guys are well passed due for a new and safer design.

It is from Riley of Riley and Scott and they are good.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Ugly!!!

Gee now they can run into each other like NASCAR. At least the Dirt cars will still be REAL openwheelers.

Contributing Member Curtis Boggs's Avatar

Default pro stock

Long time shop forman ( 25+ years ) for Jenkins competition and pro stock driver Steve Johns
    has left Jenkins competition to start a new shop with his pro stock car owner.

Bill "grumpy" Jenkins is said to be "grumpier" then ever.

Jim Yates is said to bringing his engine programe in-house to his shops In Northern Virginia.

Incase anyone cares about NHRA pro stock,,. ..

Curtis
    Racing Flow Development
    Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
    http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com

Default PRI Show News

There were never less than a dozen people checking out the new Silver Crown car and at times there were two dozen. I saw Bill Simpson and Robin Miller checking it out at the same time and they had a funny little verbal battle that caught everyone a bit off guard.

The new Powertec macroblock 2.6 liter V8 motorcycle engine/gearbox combo that will power the new Radical was on display and was pretty amazing. 363 BHP/208ft/lbs torque at @10,500 rpms. 6 Speed sequential box. Motor weighs 194 lbs, transaxle for a rear drive installation is 100 lbs. The price was less amazing at an estimated $40,500 for both. Their rep states the motor has rolling dyno time only prior to the show, but will hit the track for the first time this week. They also displayed a new GSX1300R Hayabusa engine producing a whopping 260 bhp and 162ft/lbs at the crank. $19,180, add $3729 for the dry sump, other extras available. A 247 bhp version is also available for $14,760.

I don't recall ever seeing a single formula car on display at the show (SAE car excluded). We are in Indianapolis right? Probably saw a half dozen or so sprints/midgets. Talked to Keith Iaia of SCREAM Engines about the Zetec 2.0 engines installed in the Ford Focus midgets. BTW, there will be a new Ford Focus midget series for Florida next year. The whole engine enchilada new cost about $8,000 for the midget. It is difficult for me to hear those numbers and not use my imagination.

Imagine my concern when I walked by the Formula Car Magazine booth Thursday and saw ..... NOTHING ! No magazines, no dancing girls, no free candy, nada. My fear subsided when I saw Rob and his publishing posse Friday morning. I'll let him explain that to you.

Rob Poma
    Last edited by sarrcford; 12.15.04 at 8:38 AM. Reason: changing a few words

Contributing Member Curtis Boggs's Avatar

Yep, I agree, .. it's PETHETIC there wasn't ONE formula car there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What's UP with THAT ??????????

Next year, . .. the FF & FC drivers or better yet the suppliers should get together, get a booth,..
    and have a few cars, .. heck, .. if Primus wants to sell cars, .. why didn't they go??????

Curtis
    Racing Flow Development
    Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
    http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com

Liked: 3

You guys didn't see the FBMW (Sachs booth, I think)? I think I remember an IRL or CART car somewhere as well, and one or two wind-tunnel models... yippee.

Liked: 19

I believe there was one cart car there in the dome,can't remember what booth but it was showing different cut aways Terry
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 16

I didn't attend but its kind of dissapointing the apparent lack of open wheel representation. If you want your fix, head the Autosport Show in the UK Jan 13th-16th.This will be the first time I've' attended in three years, anyone else going ?

Graham
    Graham

The Sachs' booth had a Formula BMW and there was an IRL car in the dome; unsure as to the name of the booth, though.

I stand corrected. I did see that blue and white Formula BMW on the end. I would have like to have seen the motor/gearbox goodies under the bonnet. I walked by it a few times now that you mentioned it. The formula car guys were well represented at the Gasoline Alley open house Wednesday night though. I saw a cool Ford Focus rally car at the Ken Brown shop/store with a V8 crammed in it. Built by McLaren according to the plate under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by D.T. Benner
    Gee now they can run into each other like NASCAR. At least the Dirt cars will still be REAL openwheelers.
    I was reading about the replacement for the IRL chassis somewhere and the sidepods in the sketches looked like these ones - it was to help avoid wheels riding up on each other. I agree its fugly but apparently good at what its designed for. It will probably cause just as many accidents from overaggressiveness as caused from wheels tangling.

Jason
    Jason Mabee
    MiDiv Car FE #01

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!" - Elwood Blues

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

My point exactly!!!!

Liked: 25

Does anyone else find the nose of the fenders on the SuperSilverCrown car reminiscent of Sherman tanks?
    - Frank C

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Abbott
    I believe there was one cart car there in the dome,can't remember what booth but it was showing different cut aways Terry
    It was a panther racing IRL Dallara. Also saw the F BMW car in there as well, but Curtis is right.. it would be fantastic to get a FF association display together.. afterrall, SCCA uses the show to promote the pro series stuff more than anything else and the past 3 years have had touring cars in their booth.
    "Luck is when Opportunity meets Preparation"
    RaceDriver/Driver Coach
    Motorsport Enterprises Racing - www.GoTeamMER.com
    Marc's Fan site: http://www.themarcmillershow.com <-- Click it!

Thread Information