Liked: 0

Went to install motor in my RT 5 project car and encountered my first real problem. The alignment holes in the adapter would not line up with the pins on the back of the engine. It appears as though the adapter had hit the ground hard enough, that when it was removed from the back of the motor it sprung outward, preventing further alignment.

This adapter, which came with the car, has "EOEI" stamped at the top of it. Well, I have a spare adapter, stamped "RALT" "537C". I thought I would just swap them out. Second problem. The three holes at the top of the adapter, which bolt to the rear beam, are not offset to compensate for the differential case brackets, which also bolt to the rear beam.

On the first adapter the two top outside mounting holes are set back approximately 3/16". These bolt on top of the differential brackets. On the "Ralt" adapter all three mounting holes are flush with one another. Because the two outside holes bolt over the differential case brackets, I can't pull the adapter up tight to the diffential.

One, what is the best way to repair the first adapter? Two, if this adapter can be "pushed' back into shape, could it create a starter/flywheel alignment problem? Three, before I take a hacksaw and grinder to adapter #2, does anybody know why this adapter differs from the first, or what it might be for? Help is appreciated.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Hard to tell what it looks like without photos. Can you post some?
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 0

Scott,

Took adapter #2 to my favorite machine shop and had them turn down the two outside mounting ears .250, which is the thickness of the hangers/brackets for the differential case. After that everything went together perfectly.
    A friend of mine, who owns an 81 RT 5, stopped by yesterday and pointed out that his car does not have those brackets. I can only assume that this adapter was originally used on an early car.
    Thanks.............

Thread Information