Liked: 7

Just bought 1968 Lotus 51A/FF/94. Original delivery was "Lotus Canada" on June 14th, 1968. Original color was BRG. It was "found" in Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Canada in 1999. Likely spent its whole life in Quebec or eastern Canada but I have no other history. Does not appear to be a Jim Russell car. Any leads as to history or former owners greatly appreciated!

Daniel Thompson
    dthompson@gbc.ca

Liked: 0

I was around the racing scene there back in those good old days. I'm away from home until next week but I have a lot of programs, results, etc. from Connor, Le Circuit, etc. that might give you a clue. You might also try posting with VARAC, one the oldtimers there may have some ideas. BTW, how are the chassis/water tubes? FWIW, I don't think brg is going to narrow it down a whole lot! | [img]smile.gif[/img] | HTH.
    Rob

Old enough to know better, young enough to have another go!

Liked: 1

Try contacting the Lotus Registry at The Lotus Registry Some one may know of the car and could trace it back for you. I run The Lola Registry and am trying ti keep and store all this historical stuff. Good luck Allan

Thanks, I did contact John at the Lotus Formula Ford Register and he was able to confirm to me that the car has "matching numbers" (chassis, frame, engine, transmission) and he was also able to tell me that the car was delivered to "Lotus Canada" on June 14th, 1968 with a delivery color of BRG (and no, that doesn't narrow it down much!).
    The car is remarkably original and does not appear to have been raced much or ever seriously damaged. The worst part of its history came when a previous owner tried to mount fenders, lights and a canopy on it and make it into a street car. Yuk!
    The liquid carrying frame tubes are in good shape.

Thanks,

Daniel

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

...I remember seeing an article about a Brit who converted his FF to run on the street. I can't recall whether it was a Lotus or not.

BTW, I have a beautiful Lotus 51C, and have just finished putting a new engine/gearbox in it. There has NEVER been any liquid in the frame tubes, which makes me very happy. It's undoubtedly the nicest, cleanest race car I've owned--and I've owned about 9 formula cars.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

I’m trying to piece together the history of this car. It was purchased in Trois-Rivieres, Quebec in 1999. I have reason to believe it has been a Canadian car, and perhaps a Quebec car all its life. I checked with the Lotus Formula Ford registry and they confirm that the car was delivered to “Lotus Canada” on June 14th, 1968 and the original color was BRG. Lotus Canada at that time was, of course, operated as Sports Cars Unlimited by Bill Brack and Craig Hill in Ontario.

I’ve put together a list of people who raced (owned?) a Lotus 51A in Quebec and Ontario in the period 1968-1969-1970. The names are as follows:

1. Ian Motley
    2. Louise Roberge
    3. M. Beauregard
    4. S. Fournier
    5. J. LeBer
    6. J. Essery
    7. Brian McDonald
    8. Bill Bovenizer
    9. Jim Eckert
    10. Bill Eagles
    11. Bill Brack

From Lotus records I know that there were thirteen 51’s delivered to Lotus Canada and/or Sports Cars Unlimited. Only two of the cars were delivered in BRG and one was delivered in “Dark Green”. I am pretty sure now that the car did not start life with either Bill Bovenizer or Brian McDonald. The most interesting prospect is the name “Ian Motley”. Ian was a member of a three person team called “IRI Formula Team” and the other two drivers were Randy Fraser and Ian Coristine, both driving Merlin MkIIa’s.

If any of these names mean anything to anyone on this list please let me know. I'll gladly follow up leads like a bloodhound!

Thanks!

Daniel Thompson

Latest update: I've spoken to several FF racers from the "good old days" and narrowed down the list. I am now looking for information on FF racers from the late 60's early 70's by the name of:

Serge Fournier
    John Essery
    Bill Eagles

If these names mean anything to you please contact me and I'll follow it up!

Thanks,

Daniel

Daniel

This is probably going to break the record for the longest gap between posts but Bill Eagles raced a Lotus 51 in the CASA Quebec region championship for FB/FC/FF/FV in 1969. There are results on the autocourse.ca website.

Guess you may not even have the car any more though! Not sure if Bill is still with us but his daughter Kim represented Canada at 2000 Sydney Olympics shooting events and lived at the time in Maple Ridge BC.

Michael

Yes, you broke the record! I sold the car to a Canadian enthusiast who finished the restoration to a very high standard. He then sold the car into Europe somewhere. Never did find the exact history of the chassis but I am told it is back on track and doing great.

This is the car:

http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/lot...37941343ss.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thompson View Post
    Yes, you broke the record! I sold the car to a Canadian enthusiast who finished the restoration to a very high standard. He then sold the car into Europe somewhere. Never did find the exact history of the chassis but I am told it is back on track and doing great.

This is the car:

http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/lot...37941343ss.htm
    Excellent Daniel, glad it went to a good home!

Thread Information