Craig Taylor

Has anybody used these and what was the result? Did you notice a difference, did lap times tumble dramatically, etc...... I know Richard and Steve make quality products, just looking for real world experiences. Thanks in advance.

Liked: 4

I use these. The ride is noticeably better with them, indicating less friction (friction kills grip) as their experimentation showed. I changed shock valving at the same time, so I don't have back-to-back on-track data.
    In the shop, the freedom of suspension movement is noticeably improved.

Liked: 0

Dave .... ssshhhhhhhhhhhh ....

Dave,
    Is the data on the "experimentation" you mention available anywhere. At a price of ~$660 I'd like to be able to assess the effectiveness of a suspension aid that costs as much as some sets of shocks.

Ask Richard at ICP (317-273-0089) - they have the data.
    I thought I still had it too, but I couldn't find it.

Their quick release eye end is really nice too for changing springs in minutes. If I had the money I would have them along with the hydraulic perch. I can't remember if they are one in the same or if they are two seperate products. I was pretty sure the quick release eye end screws into a standard shock or into the hydraulic perch.

Great idea and nice looking products!
    Chris More
    Marshall Aiken
    www.aikenracing.com

Dave, are you using them at both ends of the shock? Also I see a listing for Penske and Ohlins shocks, do you know if they are available for Koni's?

I'm using the perch replacement units on Penske's at both ends of the shocks. You only get part of the benefit using them on one end. I think for Koni's, you may have to use add-ons, unless the threads match Penske's or Ohlins, and I don't think they do. Contact Hyperco, or call ICP at 317-273-0089 and ask Richard.

Contributing Member Curtis Boggs's Avatar

Will:

The price is $166.50 per for "slip-on" units, and (currently) $177.50 for the "dedicated" units. If you use 2 per shock, that adds up to $1332 for the add-ons, and $1420 for the dedicateds. Not cheap for sure, but not bad for what you get.

Currently, we make the dedicated units for the 55mm Penske 8760, Penske 8760 motorcycle shock, and the Ohlins T44. The Ohlins will fit on some Konis. Units are now being designed for Bilstin (the current alu bodied units), the new Ohlins T40,the Ohlins T44 with in-line 38mm spring for the IRL Dallara and F3/F3000, Dynamics, Sachs, and Carrera.

Testing on an Instron Wopert machine shows a 94-98% reduction in shock side loading for 2 perches (about 56% for just one) - mid corner side loads can easily be over 250#. Dyno tests performed by some customers - shock/spring vs shock/spring/hydraulic perches - have shown 25 - 50# damping reductions across the full velocity range, including initial breakaway stiction. 7 poster shaker tests show massive improvements in phase shift.

Williams F1 was very impressed when they tested them late last year, but they elected to finally design the car with torsion bars all around for this year. Every CART, IRL, Atlantic, and Trans Am team that tried them is now using them - the majority of the field in each series, including the champions.

We are also gaining customers in the roundy-round fields - midgets, sprinters, Silver Crown, late models, modifieds, etc. Just got word back today from Scott Bloomquist that he ran them on a dirt car over the weekend and picked up enough grip to best the field by .7 secs a lap!

Obviously, these are all very highly developed cars and drivers, and they will pick up on things that you and I may not notice.

[size="1"][ 03-12-2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Richard Pare ][/size]
    Racing Flow Development
    Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
    http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com

Thread Information