Contributing Member Dennis Cleary's Avatar
    Liked: 0

I am now lucky enough to have a spare engine. What should I do to preserve it and have it ready to drop in at a moment's notice? It is a complete engine carb thru flywheel including the oil pump.

Thanks!

tim,
    Best way to store your spare engine is to send it to me and let me store it in my car. Wont rust or have any build up from sitting in the corner of the trailer...lol

I was alwways told to use some fogging oil, but might be kinda hard for you if motor hasnt been run yet.

John

Just pull the plugs and spray some WD-40 in the cylinders. Turn the engine over a few times and put the plugs back in. Seal water pump, intake and exhaust openings with tape and use screw on plugs for the oil pump ports (tape on the oil pump ports ends up being a big mess later). If you spray in too much oil it could make it very difficult to start when the time comes. I sealed up a club ford engine this way and it was in good shape four years later when I took the head off to get some parts for another motor.

Tim Dunn

Jerry Sloot

I'm expecting a crated engine from Farley that will sit, so thank you for the posts.....i'll also ask Curtis for any other suggestions and post what he might know to add

Contributing Member Dennis Cleary's Avatar

My spare is a "tired" engine with 8 hard hours on it. I regularly push it over 7000 rpm in the short chute to 7 at Infineon. [img]redface.gif[/img] Any takers now?

The wise man says to use Marevel Mystery Oil.

Liked: 1

I prefer to store my spares at my engine builders, .. while he freshens them up. ;)

I'll have to ask Justice or Sandy about this, ..
    I always pull the plugs and ran some WD-40 into the carb while spinning it over.

That experience is with drag race engines that didn't sit in the trailer long. ;)

Curtis

Liked: 68

I use a product called "AvBlend". It's a FAA approved oil additive developed for private aircraft engines that sit for long periods between uses, sounds a lot like many race cars too. It claims to keep the metal "wet" with lubricant. The 2 drawbacks are medium-high price, and you need to have a warm running engine to add it to. Can get at Aircraft Spruce or from the manufacturer (I'm sure other aircraft outlets have it too).

Jerry Sloot

Farley agrees with Tim

Thread Information