Thread: Fuel Filters

Liked: 0

I did a search regarding this topic on FF1600.com and couldn't find anything. So, what kind of fuel filters do you guys use? I tried a parts store filter and it was too restrictive. Your experiences on this subject would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

I run braided line from the pump to the carb so I bought an aluminum in-line fuel filter with AN fittings on each end. They are cleanable so you only have to buy one. Most of the race-parts suppliers have them or can get them.

I use push-on hose and fittings for fuel line and have added the same type of filter Joe mentioned. Here's a link to the Earl's version of the fuel filter with AN fittings and a picture:
    [url="http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/EPP/EPPPA/f230103.html"]Earl's Homepage[/url]

[img]http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/EPP/Earls_pics/f230103.jpg[/img]

I hope I did the link and image correctly!

Dan Maxwell

The PN 230106 shown above has -6 AN fittings. If you want barbed ends for push-on application, order 230103. This is good for 5/16 to 3/8 hose (5/16" is a better fit).

I'd suggest going the AN route where ever possible.
    Brad

Thanks guys!

Jim

DENIS

I'm cheap. I still use rubber hose on most cars and VW in line filters most often. Toss them out once a year. I just don't see the value in SS hose, end etc when most pumps use barbs anyhow. Sure you can add some zoomy looking fake ends but why? It doesn't clamp any better than rubber hose on a barb. Toss the rubber hose yearly too due to the heat of PHX. Cost, maybe $5 a year.

The reason for braided line is safety, particularly with fuel. Cost difference is minimal and safety factor is a quantum leap over rubber fuel hose. Fuel pumps with AN fittings are available from Dave Bean and provide an end-to-end braided line and AN solution. The Earl's filter also flows a great deal more and, as mentioned above, is cleanable so it is a one time expense. I also installed an AN inline fitting with for an inline pressure gauge that I swap in or out and installed an aircraft fuel sampling valve(Aircraft Spruce) 1/8 NPT to meet SCCA requirements.

You know I agree with Todd. If you change the fuel lines every year there is no way there is a safety issue with good quality fuel line. Look at how low the pressure is. The only way safety becomes an issue is if you never inspect or change lines. The question is, are braided lines that are installed and forgotten safer than quality fuel line that is changed every year? Probably not.

DENIS

Murry and I will be the lone hold outs of rubber hose...! I've removed some SS from cars, and you know what? It's as stiff as the rubber given todays fuels. The only value I see here may be from cutting of it.

I see the value of the cleanable filter, I run it on my car given its fuel injection.

Yes, I've seen the pumps with AN fittings but then it's more hose ends, more fittings, etc. etc. VERY nice looking and sanitary I agree.

Pressure is so low that I just can't see where that could be of an issue.

Oh well, I'll stick with the el cheapo route!

I agree with Todd and Murray, although I run braided from the cell to the pump. My car is a case in point: the braided line is getting pretty old, and I can't see if it is deteriorating or not, so I keep using it. Between the pump and the carb I use rubber. Can't imagine how braided is really any safer than a good, well-routed and secured hose. If you think the braid is going to prevent leakage in a wreck....

Since I'm even cheaper than Todd or Murray, I don't run any kind of fuel filter, except the screen in the DGV. It's never been a problem, and I've seen too many of the cleanable housings leak or fall apart altogether.

Liked: 33

I agree, the aeroquipt type hose is not necessary, expensive and heavy. I use fuel injection hose instead of just fuel hose. It's a much better quality hose.

On the Titan I maintain, we use rubber hose and a parts store filter, works fine. On my vintage FSV, I use braided line and just the screen in the pickup, also fine.

One thing tho...if you are running the Ford pump with a cast body, as opposed to stamped steel, you need to replace the pressed in fittings NOW. A couple of years ago we had the outlet fitting blow out of a new pump during a race. This led to a fire, driver pulled into a corner station with 10' of fire out the back end.

DENIS

Great point, I have a car with one of those and fit the nipples in again with some epoxy on them. Still yours is the better repair.

Liked: 19

I have used small production fuel filters with no problems for a long time. The Fram G3515 (or equivalent) has the right size nipples for hose attachments on both sides. I use braided line from the cell to the filter just because there seem to be lots of opportunities for abrasion along the crowded path to the fuel pump. - Frank C

Hey Charlie, what did the rubber hoses in the engine compartment look like after the fire? That's why I'll spend the extra money and carry the extra weight to have the SS lines and AN fittings. Sure it may be overkill but if my float sticks and I start bubbling gas all over my headers I don't want my rubber gas lines melting and adding to the mix. Call me paranoid.

Thread Information