Thread: Shock Absorbers

Liked: 3

I'm restoring a Ginetta FF. Somewhere along the way, the coil-over shock units at the rear must have been changed, with the result that the rear ride height is too high and the halfshaft angle is more than it should be. I need to get "shorter" shocks in order to maintain some suspension travel without bottoming out the shocks. Here's the question - are there any alternatives to the Koni coil-overs, which at a minimum, are $325 per unit? The Konis are adjustable - my current ones have no damping adjustment - but I'm just a simple guy and too many adjustments will overload the brain cells! I'd be happy with a good quality non-adjustable unit.

Liked: 0

Post this query under Parts Wanted. Include the min/max length needed for shock travel. You'll get all sorts of suggestions and offers. Bilsteins are cheap and filling.

brando611

Carrera shocks are a popular and inexpensive choice for historic Fords. Everybody I know has them set on medium with good results. No fuss, no muss. Try [url="http://www.carrerashocks.com"]www.carrerashocks.com[/url] and check out the 3200/3300 series if I recall.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably go the route of new units - Carreras, I think, as Bilstein doesn't indicate on the website that they make this type of unit, and then sell my old stuff.

Scott,
    If you're interested in Carrera's, I have a nearly new set including spring perches; used for one test day then I inherited a set of Penske's. Still in original boxes, they retail new for $990. Open to any reasonable offer. Contact me at [email]wgburton@attbi.com[/email] or (925) 846-2126.

PS: I will be leaving on a business trip in a few hours and won't be back until Tuesday PM.

Ditto on the Carreras. I've been very happy with mine. I got good tech support from them to spec what I needed and as people have said, they're good value.

Oops! I just realized that you probably have to run steel bodied shocks in Vintage. My shocks are aluminum bodied Model 6237 rears and 6242 fronts. If still interested, let me know.

Thanks, everyone for your input. "Dr. Will", I do need to run steel bodied, which lack the rebound adjustment feature yours have. Fortunately, they're also cheaper! A pair for the rear with the spring perches was $330 from Carrera. And yes, the technical advice was readily available.

Thread Information