Liked: 0

I had some problems when testing my CF this weekend w/ the Lucas pinion gear getting jammed into the flywheel teeth. This was after stopping for a u-turn at the end of a "test track" when I stalled it (several times!). I've heard bad things about the Lucas starter, but have a hard time justifying the price of a Tilton. I haven't raced it yet, and am concerned about reliability. Opinions?

based on your own experiences, dont you now think a tilton starter is worth not having the hassle you described above? Also there are some posts on here about things to do to help extend the life of your starter.

John

I fought with a Lucas starter for over a year before "biting the bullet" and getting a Tilton, and haven't regretted it for a second. What's it worth to have your car start when you want it to?

A plug for info on the old FF Underground The following was taken from a starter discussion on that site:

[url="http://pub138.ezboard.com/fformulafordundergroundvintageformulaford.showMessage?"]http://pub138.ezboard.com/fformulafordundergroundvintageformulaford.showMessage?[/url]
    topicID=343.topic

"Jim Kiester at KRC sells a Toyota type gear reduction starter that has an indexing plate
    that has multiple positions. Effectively, you can rotate it into just about any position you
    want. You can reach KRC at 570.966.2330 or krc-racing.com"

I bought one of the KRC units. Some dimensions were slightly bigger than Tilton, but
    other dimensions were smaller. But the adapter plate sure has many more options for
    rotating around the full 360 degrees. (The Tilton adapter plate has rather limited
    rotational choices.) Fit in my Titan MK 6 with little trouble.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Question:

Why do the English have warm beer.

Answer:

Lucas built the fridge.

Do your self a favour, get rid of anything Lucas on your car. Lucas is well known as the Prince of Darkness.

On the other hand, there are some ring gears that will only take a 9 or 10 tooth drive gear. While some will tell you they are interchangeable, I can say from bitter experince, they are not. The wrong one can and does strip the ring gear.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

DENIS

This is simply due to the wrong pitch drive gear on the starter. I hope this is all covered for you in the FFU pages, but if not count the teeth on the ring gear- either 110 or 135 (or was it 132?) and you'll get the right starter. Most common of them is surely the 110 and thus the 9 or 10 tooth Lucas.

I have a 10 tooth pinion and 110 tooth flywheel, which should be correct. I haven't had time to pull the starter yet, I will tonite. But it seems as if the spring that keeps the pinion rearward is just too weak. (I think there's a spring?) I didn't know if this is a problem with new Lucas starters, or just old worn out ones.

Well, the owner's manual for my '79 Eagle says to tape the starter pinion back before heading out onto the track so this would appear to be a problem with some history! Seriously, do yourself a favor and get a real starter. BAT also sells one that I've had good luck with (I wondered why my car came with 3 Lucas starters when I bought it, but I soon found out!).

Thread Information