Thread: Rear Uprights

Liked: 0

Default Rear Uprights

Slop in right rear wheel bearing has me investigating rear uprights and hubs for a 80 Van Diemen, RF 80. Looking at photos of other Chassis it looks like Lotus 61 and possible mid 70s Lolas may have used the same upright. Can anyone confirm this observation and tell me where I can find some parts. Simon at Universal does not have uprights the last time we Talked. I think I need to find them in the used parts market. Does anyone have a dimensioned drawing of this part or any kind of spec sheet so I could check my units for wear ?

Any help would be appreciated . Vintage cars are so much fun ...

Jim
    Hail Mary Racing

Upright's are probably fine, just need to be diss. and new bearings, and spacer installed. The Side loads they have to deal with put a lot of wear on the bearings, and play develops. If you are not sure about doing this, any of the race shops like Keith A. can RandR for you.

Liked: 123

I think it's highly unlikely that an RF80 used anything other than a van diemen part. I also think that you probably just need to service the uprights. It's possible you need some parts, maybe a stub axle or to have the bearing housing sleeved, but unless the upright is broken in two (and I've seen that repaired) the upright almost certainly can be used.

Brian

Liked: 17

I may be wrong, but I believe that Don Denomme told me he has drawings/jigs for fabricating replacement rear uprights (they being rare as hen's teeth). Maybe he'll chime in here...
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Liked: 25

Default RF79-81 Uprights

The uprights are rare and specific to VD RF78 or 79 through 81 cars. For inspection and possible sleeving, I recommend J&J outside Philadelphia. They did a minor repair on an RF81 upright for me and were recommended by a recognized authority.
    http://www.jandjracingltd.com/

Pressing out and putting in new bearings should be done carefully and heat should be used. Don't try to press them out until you have advice from someone more expert than me!

- Frank Chambers

Default More info

Thanks to all who have posted comments. I can offer a little more info. I replaced both bearings in both rear uprights 3 years ago when the car was new to me. The drivers left snugged up nice, but the right still had more slop in it than than I would like; so I have got wear or different dimentions somewhere; either where the bearing presses into the upright or on the drive hub that draws into the bearing. One of you mentioned a spacer ? I dont have any spacer in either side. If the spacer you are talking about sits between the Upright and the bearing and effects how far the bearing presses into the upright you may have "nailed it" I was planning on comparing dimmentions of the outside to outside sufaces of the bearing in the upright between the left and right sides suspecting I would find the right (problem side) has the bearing pressed in further and therefore closer together leaving slop after the two haves of the wheel hub/carrier are drawn tight, touch / bottom out. A worn taper surface on the carrier would give the same slop. I have not dissmanlted yet to get those dimmentions.

Someone please look at the cars I mentioned in my original post and see if they dont look like the same uprights. I couldnt find a good clear photo but the ones i did look at sure have me wondering.

Jim

Liked: 158

Jim,

I am pretty sure you will find that Lola and lotus uprights will not be the same. If you look here:
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44210

You will see that VD had there own uprights as early as 1973. Or course I suppose someone could have changed them along the way.

http://home.comcast.net/~set911/image/Dec1106-020.jpg this gives you an idea of a lotus 61 upright.

The lola upright is below.
    David

David, The photo attached is small and I cant see it very well, Is this a photo of a Lola? The upright looks very simular but maybe deeper in the bearing section and I cant tell if it has the caliper mount ears on it like the VD (which were not used) Can you send any other photos or info than can help me figure out this little mystery. Its really starting to bug me now so I have to figure it out !!

Jim
    Hail Mary Racing

hailmaryracing@yahoo.com

I second getting in touch with Don. I was at the Glenn last weekend and raced my 79vd against Dons 80. we spoke about uprights and other stuff. he said he had drawings and a jig for fabricating new one. he works at Ric Racing in New HAmpshire. Google Ric Racing and give them a call.
    79 Van Diemen FF/CF

Liked: 96

Default lola upright

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

I agree that having your existing upright repaired will probably be your best/cheapest option. They are probably the most irreplaceable part on the car.

Liked: 1395

Quote Originally Posted by Frank C View Post
    The uprights are rare and specific to VD RF78 or 79 through 81 cars. For inspection and possible sleeving, I recommend J&J outside Philadelphia. They did a minor repair on an RF81 upright for me and were recommended by a recognized authority.
    http://www.jandjracingltd.com/

Pressing out and putting in new bearings should be done carefully and heat should be used. Don't try to press them out until you have advice from someone more expert than me!

- Frank Chambers
    I would double Franks recommendation for J&J. You may have more issues than you think, especially if you have run the car for a while with that slop in the upright. The guys at J&J will know what to look for and how to fix it.

Liked: 123

Almost all small formula cars of that era had uprights that looked really similar. They all used the about the same CV joints, they all had about the same hub design, they all had about the same suspension geometry. But "about the same" isn't the same things as "the same and interchangeable". They just look similar from a few feet away. Van Diemen just made Formula Fords, but they made a lot of the each year and designed a unique casting for each model family. Lotus, Lola made all sorts of cars and often used the same uprights in different models. But I don't know of any car that didn't design and cast their own uprights in that period. No "common upgrights" for the rear. Fronts were a different story, road car uprights were common into the mid 1970's.

Brian

Thread Information