Liked: 0

Default mclaren or marlboro reds

i am googled out. can anyone tell me the brand and number of red on the 2008 mclaren or marlboro race cars?

Liked: 267

It seems to be a copy of the Penske red, right? Or maybe you are in fact referring to the Penske IRL cars?

I'll see if my wife knows, she used to work there, colors and graphics are somewhat her specialty, she probably would know... PM me if you don't hear back in a few...

Edit, scratch that idea - closely-guarded secret, custom-blended very expensive stuff...
    Last edited by 924RACR; 12.21.08 at 11:13 AM.
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by dbardell View Post
    i am googled out. can anyone tell me the brand and number of red on the 2008 mclaren or marlboro race cars?
    Del,

Give Herm Johnson a call. 715.835.6026 I've had him use that dayglo orange on a couple of helmets that he has painted for me.
    Currently Without Car

Liked: 42

The color used on the IRL cars is different from their brand/box color for TV purposes.

Taken from: http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=25

As far as the change of color on the car to the orangish shade there is an explanation for that as well. Red is notoriously difficult to film and/or photograph. When they used the true red it came out way too dark, especially in photographs. This color on film actually looks a lot more like the true red shade.
    Last edited by Monty M; 12.21.08 at 12:01 PM.

Liked: 1426

Find a chip/photo/logo of the color you want and take it to a PPG dealer. Likely one is close by. They will be able to match it to an existing color with a known code or tint one that is very close.

As for the Mclaren...are you talking about the silver on the F1 cars? If so, that is actually black mostly. It starts as a based and cleared black that is buffed once dry. Then the "silver" (Looks black in the can) is applied very lightly and then cleared again. That is very expensive and fairly difficult.

Liked: 25

I believe the old CART Penskes used 1965 Ford Poppy Red. Paint code was "3". Don't know about the irl cars. Don't watch them.
    Dave

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Starting in 1976 the McLaren F1 cars are actually a flourecent red that showed up on TV as Marlboro red. The cars look very different in person than they do on TV.

Liked: 273

Find a paint dealer that sells Kozminski's House of Color paint. Ask them for the Dayglo Orange...this is the color you are looking for. By the way this is an expensive 3 part paint process, requires a Pearl White Shimron base with Dayglo Orange then clear coated.

I've painted several cars with this paint...it looks different in person than on film.

Gary Hickman
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 1426

PPG has it too. Available in single phase as well, but not quite as blingy.

Default thanks to all

thank you to everyone for your help on finding this paint. i found a local dealer and will stop in a take a look. this is a great website!

Liked: 1417

If I am not mistaken, and seeing the cars in person I believe it to be true, the color used is not actually DayGlo orange, but in fact Shimrin Neon or fluorescent RED (NE504). HOK carries quite a few different fluorescents, and more than a couple that are in the orange/red category. For these colors to work properly, you MUST use white primer basecoat, and then clearcoat when finished. They are expensive but they do work really well.

Liked: 79

If you need this stuff to paint a model then have a look here, I've used this stuff and it is awesome.......

http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=1732

If you need it for a full size car a query to the owner of this website might help with codes??

Good luck
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

Default red has been found

thanks to everyone who responded. i found the red and cosmic chrome that is similar to mclaren's colors. will have to pass in that cosmic chome is $300 quart . budget only allows for general motors paint. thanks again to all.

Liked: 43

Have you checked out the chrome paints from Alsa Corp?

Their application guide suggests that you may be able to do your job with as little as 1 pint.

Check it out here. http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mir...irra_price.htm

I have used some of their products (but not any of their chrome paints) and have been very satisfied with them.

Their videos are fascinating.

coldshoe

nm

Thread Information