Liked: 79

Default 8 Point Star bits

Does anybody know where I could find these? Tried McMaster, local parts stores. Need them to removes some screws on a Pace trailer. The screw heads resemble a torx, but have 8 points instead of 6.

Liked: 1

Just use the right size square bit. That's what I use on my Pace Trailer.

Liked: 123

I use a Robertson (square) bit as well, after spending at least $30 buying three different bit sets of Torx, etc... They ain't a standard screw, except in the trailer industry!

Brian

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coury View Post
    Does anybody know where I could find these? Tried McMaster, local parts stores. Need them to removes some screws on a Pace trailer. The screw heads resemble a torx, but have 8 points instead of 6.
    My trailer (a Mission; which is essentially a Thule) has the same screws. After looking quite a lot for the bits, I gave up and called the factory - they said you can buy an expensive 8 point bit, or just use a #2 square drive, which is what they actually use in the factory so they don't have to buy the expensive bits.

Jon

Liked: 10

One more vote for using a square drive bit. It works like a charm for me.

I needed to tighten a few screws on my Pace a while back, at a friend's who has, say, 16 12mm wrenches, 8 cheap grinders, etc. He was shocked to learn that he didn't own a bit that fit. . . I am sure that he does now. Nice custom race car, with dyno for the engine, in his shop, which is bigger than his house. . .

Chris

Liked: 79

Thanks Guys. The square drive does not work when trying to loosen really tight ones. I will see if I can bum one from a local trailer place.

Liked: 3

Northern Tool. Inexpensive sets of hardened 8 or 12 point bits.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Got mine from Pace Parts department

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coury View Post
    Thanks Guys. The square drive does not work when trying to loosen really tight ones. I will see if I can bum one from a local trailer place.
    Beat the bit into the head of the screw with a hammer and try again. Works for phillips as well that have been buggered up by camming out. Also try a hand impact driver if that doesn't work.
    Tom Sprecher
    ATL Region Treasurer

Thread Information