Contributing Member Chet Zerlin's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Anyone know what the difference is between these three products (offered by Pennon, Pegasus and Bald Spot Sports resepectively)?

Liked: 6

We have been using the Indi seat from pegasus for years now, I have used some others and I prefer the Indi kit. We always use the 44x58 50litre. If the driver is really small, you need to get the 10litre as well to add beeds to the big one, also with a big driver, you will need to remove some beeds in most cases. good luck

Augie Pabst
    Pabst Racing Services
    262-567-1771
    PS. our website pabstracing.com will be here shortly!

Liked: 0

I'm not familer with the Indy seat. The Pennon seat is a bead seat in which polymer beads(exact type not known)and an epoxy are mixed, poured and formed around a drivers body. The seats from Bald Sport are laser cut from creafoam. The main and most important difference is that Blad Spots seats are able to sustance multiple impacts. The bead seat can only sustain one impact before the beads are compressed and deform to no longer offer any safety support. There was an excellent article about this on RACER Professional.

Liked: 3

I've done several of the two-part foam seats over the past 10 years, and I did my first Indi-seat this spring.

I will NEVER do another foam seat again.

The Indi-seat is MUCH cleaner, easier, quicker; requires fewer hands, less prep and cleanup time, and less equipment; and you end up with a very nice finished product. The two drawbacks are the cost and the escaped beads running around all over the place. But those get cleaned up with your shop vac a lot easier than scraping the escaped foam off of whatever it gets spilled on. ( The foam also does NOT come out of fabric. Ever. )

The only situation I can see the foam making more sense is if a driver will only drive a car once or twice. But if he is likely to drive another ( identical ) car later on -- FSCCA, SRF, etc, he could use his custom seat in the new car, too.

Thanks for all the info. Bead seat is on its way to my garage!

Just got off the phone with the local Creafoam folks. Cost is $750. The Creasorb seat is $3000.

Hey guys,
    $3,000!!!! You have got to be kidding.
    I made a Pennon indy bead seat and it works very well. But....after 3 races I started to notice myself sliding back and forth in the turns. When I poured it I had taped the side panels in place and the seat went right to it. When I removed the side panels, the seat runs right up to the frame tubes. Well, this bead seat is fairly soft and the G forces from my body shifting side to side pushes the seat into the bars and dents in the side of the seat. A little more each race until you can notice it sliding side to side in the turns. So I am going to go back to the seat that came with the car for now, which I fits me very well by the way and also my head has a little more room to the head rest. I did a mega layer patch to the upper cracking area so I should be good to go. So if you do not run with the side panel kit, you should probable glass the sides of the bead seat to keep it from digging into the side tubes.

-Tom
    Chassis #58

Good tip Tom. Thanks. What fix did you use on your OEM seat?

By the way, I had a long conversation with the guys at Bald Spot Racing - that $3,000 seat is a custom made product. They create a bead seat the old fashioned garbage bag way, then get a 3D scan of it. They then have an exact virtual version of the seat in a computer which is then used to cut the seat out of a solid block of creasorb foam (they claim this product is better than the regular beads used in other kits). When a new seat is needed they just cut another one out. Interesting concept but a little too expensive for my club racing career!
    The "regular" product is a little more expensive than the Pennon or Indi-seat. At my level of racing the verdict was too little difference in the product to justify the (slightly) more expensive cost.
    You can check out their seat at their web site:
    http://www.baldspotsports.com/seats.htm

[size="1"][ August 04, 2004, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Chet Zerlin ][/size]

also the creasorb product doesn't have to be replaced after an impact whereas the creafoam (which really isn't foam) should be. The selling point is that it's not a one time product.

I'm going with the creaform not so much because it costs less but because I'm never going to wreck anyway...

KNOCK ON FREAKING WOOD.

Jeff

Liked: 6

The creafoam deal is a must have if your running CART/IRL. I know you will want/need it when you take a big hit. I remember steve knapp telling me that he always had his IRL seats made on his own dime Bcause the teams would usually opt for the cheap route. I think steve is still walking today because of the choice of seat. I dont know who he used though. I think anyone running more than one event is crazy not to have some type of bead/epoxy seat. the foam stuff is for one offs only! If you think a 200-$500 seat is expensive, I bet there are some folks runnin wheel chairs right now that would not agree

good luck to all
    augie

Augie,

I think your right on. I feel I have been blessed in my professional career such that $ probably isn't as much as a factor as it used to be (then again I didn't start bleeding cash for racing until about 4 years ago!).

But, since having two boys (23 and 2 months) being alive got really important. I've spent almost $4000 in the last few months on safety equipment and feel better about it than anything performance related.

We've all heard the cliche's about how much is your head worth, but I guess at 34 years old I finally grew up to realize it can happen to me.

If it's a choice between going faster or going safer the choice should be obvious. At a logical level faster with out the safety is just more dangerous.

Easy for me to say I guess, but if your on the bubble and a post from someone you don't know can possibly sway you BUY THAT SAFETY DEVICE.

(and boinus information) PAY FOR THE EXPRESS SHIPPING so you have it for the next event. A HANS in the mail ain't worth crap when your in the tirewall...

My .02 ---- I'm done. Thanks for reading.

Look forward to seeing you at the track,

Jeff

Thread Information