Liked: 0

Default Why does my SRF smell?

[FONT=Calibri]My SRF fills my garage with a gasoline smell so bad that I leave the door up a 1/2” and have the attic open to vent through the roof. The more gas in the cell, the more gas odor. The cell is 5 years old and I have checked for leaks. No leaks on the floor, car floor or behind the seat. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Sealed the vent hose and that did not help. Any ideas?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Thanks in advance for your help. Cory[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Also posted on SR.com[/FONT]
    It is easy to enjoy life when you are rich,

It is more rewarding when your not.

Cory

Liked: 1

Default Don't know, but...

Until you figure this out, I'd strongly recommend storing the car somewhere other than in your garage.

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by ciamracerx View Post
    [FONT=Calibri]My SRF fills my garage with a gasoline smell so bad that I leave the door up a 1/2” and have the attic open to vent through the roof. The more gas in the cell, the more gas odor. The cell is 5 years old and I have checked for leaks. No leaks on the floor, car floor or behind the seat. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Sealed the vent hose and that did not help. Any ideas?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Thanks in advance for your help. Cory[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Also posted on SR.com[/FONT]
    You either have a slow leak on the fuel cell plate gasket or one of the bulkhead fittings on the plate. It doesn't take much to do it. Mine had a leak on one of the fittings.

Contributing Member Darren Brown's Avatar
    Liked: 20

Bad seal in the fuel cap? Maybe try putting a little air (very little) pressure to the fuel cell vent and see if you hear it leak out somewhere.

Just a thought.

Darren

Liked: 36

Cell material can crack and weep vapors with age especially in areas where they flex although 5 years isn't that old. You don't have to see signs of liquid in order for your garage to fill with vapors especially now that it's summer. I had an old weeping tank in my DB-1. Occasionally I would get these violent headaches and nausea that I couldn't pinpoint the cause of. They went away after I replaced my fuel cell.
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Liked: 25

Default Seeping Test

When my old DB1 cell was seeping a little bit, one could not see any evidence of the seepage if it was set on the concrete garage floor. Setting it on newspaper showed the seepage, as the paper absorbed and showed damp areas.
    - Frank C

Liked: 3772

I hope you don't have a gas hot water heater or furnace in that garage.
    I saw a guy burn his house down one time when the fumes made it over to the pilot light....and the garage door was open.
    Blew him out to the mailbox.

Default Gas Smell

Thank you all for the insight. Will be doing the checking - testing listed. Thank God the heater systems are in the basement. Will post the findings.

CV

Cory

Liked: 10

Thank you all for the insight. Will be doing the checking - testing listed. Thank God the heater systems are in the basement. Will post the findings.

CV
    Can the fumes find their way to the basement? As I recall they are heavier than air. I know California building codes, and maybe others, required gas appliances in a garage such as furnace and water heater to be mounted a foot or so higher than the garage floor.

Dick

I feel the basement is far enough away from the garage and has no conecting feed throughs to allow the fumes to enter the basement. Good thought though.
    Going to check the cell flange tonight.

CV

Cory

Liked: 42

I feel the basement is far enough away from the garage and has no conecting feed throughs to allow the fumes to enter the basement. Good thought though.
    Going to check the cell flange tonight.

CV
    To fix the bulkhead fitting issues you have to pull the cell IIRC.

Thread Information