Thread: Oh, well.....

Liked: 68

Default Oh, well.....

Here's how my Runoffs week started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPDNQ...ature=youtu.be

Here's how it ended (attached photo). Anybody got a FE with a blown engine/tranny for sale?

On a positive note - these FE chassis' can take a HIT - these things are about as safe as can be. See the above video starting at about 1:45; speed was 107. I got out and walked away with nothing more than a broken toe and a compound fracture of the wallet. Thanks, Enterprises, for giving us such a stout car!
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Re: Oh, well.....

Ouch ! Glad you're OK. Very stout car, indeed.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 285

Glad you are OK.

Had you been using the T7 exit curb on previous laps? Looks like you went just beyond it, and the left rear tire didn't grip the dirt well enough.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

That's exactly what happened. We almost always use the exit curbs, but they're just a hair off camber. It had been raining most of the day, so the combination was:

1) Slick curbs - cold and green from heavy rain.
    2) Slight mistake at corner entry - I turned in just a hair too soon.
    3) Soft mud just outside the rumblestrip - the left rear slid out, then it dug into the mud and I was slingshotted into the drivers-right wall.

At least I walked away - and that's saying something very positive about the FE design safety, the prep by One Formula, and the safety gear I was wearing.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 49

Ouch indeed.. But next time, can you tilt the camera up just a little bit more?

Sorry, just trying to add some humor.. That looked like a pretty energetic shunt, rest up and take it easy for a while!

Liked: 11

Marshall,
    Sorry to see your Runoffs end so early. Glad you're OK. Not much left of that crushbox. Apparently did its job saving your feet!

Doesn't look like the low sun/glare helped anywhere either.

Let me know if you need any help with that broken toe (I'm a podiatrist)

Jim

Liked: 218

I put a different camera on Marshall's car and forgot to check the hd setting. Had it at 1080 at 30 fps instead of 720 at 60 fps. I'm sure it would have been much more enlightening Had I set it correctly. Important thing is Marshall's okay.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default Thanks - I think

Thanks for posting - I think. That was a big one. Yes, the safety of the FE is a big reason why I got in the class - especially being 6'2".

Hate it for you, glad you are safe.

I do have two cars and a bunch of spares when you get to the point of wanting to think about it again call me if I can help.

JM
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Liked: 9

Watching that clip was like watching a horror. I knew something bad was going to happen, just not when. Glad you are OK.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

It hurts my wallet to watch that, so I can only imagine your pain. But glad you walked away from it with minor injuries. I'm recovering from a bike crash myself and the "hardware" is the easiest stuff to replace.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 9

Wow Marshall! I'm glad you are ok. It could have been a lot worse. Hang in there.

Zambo

Quote Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
    Wow Marshall! I'm glad you are ok. It could have been a lot worse. Hang in there.

Zambo
    Thanks, guys - I'll be back, just not this week.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 447

Ouch... Glad you're ok, Marshall!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 8

Default I felt sick

I felt sick when I saw the car. I am just REALLY glad you are OK. That was a ton! Rest up, feel better and take the winter to rebuild.

Again, I know it must be depressing but be GLAD you are OK....the rest will sort itself put.

Best, Tom
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Liked: 11

Marshall,

Wow, that did a lot more damage than I would have expected at that corner. tough break. Glad you are OK. That straight between 7 and 8 has been very expensive for FE cars this year!

Don't leave RA! I have a very competitive light blue car for sale. I can deliver it to RA within 3 hours of a finalized deal. I just shook it down after rebuild at gingerman with a win and new FA lap record at the Midwest council race last weekend. I know for fact that it is capable of a front row start after reviewing everyones times from the first two sessions.

This may sound like a joke but I am completely serious. Give me a call (steve has my number)-you don't want to miss the 50th anniversary of the Runoffs!

Dean

Liked: 77

After the pep talk, maybe rent the car to the guy for $1000. I will kick in $250.

Hey Dean -

Glad to hear your car's back together. I might be interested in it, but not this week. Timing is really bad - I'm in the middle of buying a house in Birmingham, and the banks take a dim view of major purchases during that process......it figures that I'd tear up the car at the worst possible time.

Still looking at my options.....
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Mauney View Post
    Hey Dean -

Glad to hear your car's back together. I might be interested in it, but not this week. Timing is really bad - I'm in the middle of buying a house in Birmingham, and the banks take a dim view of major purchases during that process......it figures that I'd tear up the car at the worst possible time.

Still looking at my options.....
    Is the frame bent? Or did you just mash up three corners and the wings? If you just mashed three corners and the wings, it will be expensive, but not that time consuming to fix.

If you bent the frame, depending on what you bent, it can be repaired too. I replaced a bent tube, pulled two slightly bent tubes straight, and patched over several dents this winter. Also installed a new floor. Was a lot of work, but doable and much cheaper than getting a new frame.

Also, it looks like Greg Pizzo has a brand new frame for sale if you want to go that route.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jcorsico View Post
    Is the frame bent? Or did you just mash up three corners and the wings? If you just mashed three corners and the wings, it will be expensive, but not that time consuming to fix.

If you bent the frame, depending on what you bent, it can be repaired too. I replaced a bent tube, pulled two slightly bent tubes straight, and patched over several dents this winter. Also installed a new floor. Was a lot of work, but doable and much cheaper than getting a new frame.

Also, it looks like Greg Pizzo has a brand new frame for sale if you want to go that route.

Jon
    It's four corners, most (all?) of the bodywork, nose, crushbox, all of the wings and endplates, brakes, uprights, ...... The frame actually appears to be OK, along with the engine and transmission, but pretty much everything external is destroyed. We're working through the math; while it can certainly be repaired, I think the cost exceeds the value. Probably cheaper to buy a used car and sell off the good parts (or keep as spares).
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Mauney View Post
    It's four corners, most (all?) of the bodywork, nose, crushbox, all of the wings and endplates, brakes, uprights, ...... The frame actually appears to be OK, along with the engine and transmission, but pretty much everything external is destroyed. We're working through the math; while it can certainly be repaired, I think the cost exceeds the value. Probably cheaper to buy a used car and sell off the good parts (or keep as spares).
    Well, that really sucks. Not many other words come to mind.

I could be entirely off-base, but my gut is that, so long as the frame isn't bent, the three floors are still okay, and the engine and trans are okay, it's going to be cheaper to repair rather than start over with a different car. But the devil is certaintly in the details.

Liked: 41

Marshall - Walking away is always a good thing. Glad you were not hurt other than the bumps and bruises.

Welcome to the South. Birmingham is good but Huntsville is better. Either way, we hope to see you around sometime.
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

Liked: 48

Default actually I have some parts you may need !

First off GLAD you are okay and it is just the car that needs parts !!!

Here is what I have (all new parts):

Uprights a set for $1000.00 NEW
    Set of wishbones for $1800.00 NEW
    Set of AP calipers for $800.00 NEW
    Both cockpit sides for $800.00 NEW
    Nose for $300.00 NEW

maybe a pacakage deal if you want all of it

call me anytime to discuss ..
    (408) 832-3114
    friend us on FaceBook search "velocity haus"
    like on facebook search "velocity haus Engineering"
    Velocityhaus.com
    velocityhaus@gmail.com
    @Velocityhaus2 instagram

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Glad you're OK, bud

Yes that chassis is incredibly strong, as is it's younger step-brother, the RFR F1000 chassis.
    The really good thing about both of these cars is the ability to build a rather thick seat (unless you are some kind of leviathan/super sloth) that gives you rear (butt/lwr back), side (hips/thighs), and upper body (back/shoulders) protection.

I shudder when I look into some cockpits and see none to minimal padding, or a teeny little 1"thick foam pad type deal.

The seat in my car is about 10" thick at butt, 4" thick at hips, 4-5" at shoulders, and 5-6" at upper back. It is 1 pc and can be removed from the car in one easy motion.
    Last edited by glenn cooper; 11.18.14 at 8:52 PM.

Liked: 1

Default Really?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    The seat in my car is about 10" thick at butt, 4" thick at hips, 4-5" at shoulders, and 5-6" at upper back.
    Is that true? Do you really sit 10" above the floor?

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default No

Quote Originally Posted by Paul LeCain View Post
    Behind my behind, lwr back, although there is probably a good 1.5-2" below my cheeks.

I also forgot to mention the importance of an EPS based head surround. The one on my car took quite a hit, and evidence of compression is visible. The surround on the RFR is approx 3" thick all around.

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Paul LeCain View Post
    He's just a little guy!

I was very glad to have a beefy bead seat - it probably saved my back.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Senior Member SilverCarbir_FC26's Avatar
    Liked: 31

Wow what a wild ride you had, glad your ok. The car can be rebuilt or bought again, the same cant be said for body parts. A proper well made seat makes a world of a difference in the event of a crash and I agree that it saved your back. I saw a similar type of crash with John Dickmann at RA while running with Midwestern Council a few weeks back. But he unfortunately played ping pong with his car just after the kink.
    Because racecar...

Thread Information