Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Contributing Member Darren Brown's Avatar
    Liked: 20

Everybody relax. I just did a few emails with some officials.

Some information from the SW division race stewards,

The COTA views the SCCA as a professional organization and as such the race date is still on.

Not that it could not change, but as of 45 minutes ago it was confirmed the race was good.

I would give it until after the first of the year when everybody is back from the holidays to see if anything is changing. No since in getting worked up until something has actually been cancelled.

Darren Brown

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

Default COTA

According to the RE of SCCA Lone Star Region the race in March is still on. I have asked that he posts something on the forums

Liked: 9

What a way for COTA to make friends and influence people.

I was signed up for MVP and ready to sign up for Driver's Edge as soon as registration opened.

Guess I won't buy a ticket to the GrandAm race. I will watch it on TV instead. Nor the V8 Supercars, nor MotoGP.
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Liked: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    You know sportsfans, there is a great Major scheduled the following week at a hell of a track that has 40+ years of real road racing history. And the event is put on by a region famous for great customer service.

I'm going to the Atlanta Major.
    The Road Atlanta Major is in May.
    I believe the decision was made to move it to May from the traditional March date to avoid a conflict with COTA.

However is the COTA event is cancelled, it would make sense to move the Road Atlanta Major to March as May is pretty congested Major wise.

Liked: 23

Just checked the SEDIV website. If the majors are all double events, then the May Rational at Road Atlanta is NOT a major as it is a single event. The major at RA is still in March...

http://www.scca.com/events/news.cfm?eid=5364&cid=51225

I hope I wrong but the SCCA website says 17th to 19th May.

Contributing Member

Default From SRF site

Roger Krebs here. Race Chair for COTA event. Our weekend is unaffected by recent activities. I'm working sup's over holidays. Hope to have registration open by about Jan 15th.

Liked: 701

Quote Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
    The Road Atlanta Major is in May.
    I believe the decision was made to move it to May from the traditional March date to avoid a conflict with COTA.

Already discussed:
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55829
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

It would appear that the Majors update E-mail, that I received only yesterday and the SCCA website is out of date. So I am wrong. Good, I'd prefer March anyway.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Just another fine example of your tax dollars going to work for the uber rich .... Sadly, they forget the lesson of Henry Ford... You dont get rich off your rich friends, you get rich off the masses.... It will be a glorious day for motorsports when Bernie passes on IMHO
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 2

Will have to see what the reason is. Not very informative

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Whut the????????

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    Just another fine example of your tax dollars going to work for the uber rich .... Sadly, they forget the lesson of Henry Ford... You dont get rich off your rich friends, you get rich off the masses.... It will be a glorious day for motorsports when Bernie passes on IMHO

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Quote Originally Posted by turnbaugh View Post
    Guess I won't buy a ticket to the GrandAm race. I will watch it on TV instead.
    I think they probably prefer that.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default !

Comedy Gold right there!

Quote Originally Posted by mousecatcher View Post
    I think they probably prefer that.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 289

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    Just another fine example of your tax dollars going to work for the uber rich ....
    I do not believe COTA has received any tax dollars yet. Texas is requiring a study the proves the tax revenue for the GP was at least equal to the proposed Texas grant. This could be where the inflated worth of this event comes down to earth.

There could be a chance that there is a operating cash issue that prevents development of a expanded business operating model.

Brian

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Brown View Post
    The COTA views the SCCA as a professional organization and as such the race date is still on.
    But is COTA professional enough to administer a club event? With no other club type event experience, how do the issue associated with such events at a new track get worked out? The region is paying $50k per day for three days to be the test case?

Brian

Contributing Member

Liked: 118

Default ???????

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    But is COTA professional enough to administer a club event? With no other club type event experience, how do the issue associated with such events at a new track get worked out? The region is paying $50k per day for three days to be the test case?

Brian

After having an F1 race there, I think they will be able to figure it out.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sharp View Post
    What i was really concerned about was their ability to handle the specators for our March Majors race, but after going to F1, they appear to know how to handle it!

Contributing Member

Just like they are doing with their rental operations?

Brian

Liked: 3787

Found this in the press releases on the website:
    Circuit of The Americas? statement on track rental program

Circuit of The Americas? today set the record straight on the venue?s track rental program and responded to questions raised in social media forums about the program?s future direction. ?Circuit of The Americas currently offers a track rental program for organizations and clubs and private individuals that provides automotive enthusiasts with a world-class experience at the United States? only purpose-built Formula 1? facility,? Circuit spokesperson Julie Loignon said. ?We have had inquiries and discussions with a number of organizations that are interested in renting our facility, and we?ve determined that we will not be able to work with all of them in the coming year. We have contacted organizations that did not have fully executed rental agreements to inform them of our decision. We regret not being able to assist them with a track rental in 2013 and hope there are other ways we can accommodate their interest in Circuit of The Americas in the future.?

My theory is this (with black helicopters overhead), COTA started renting the track months and months ago to get solidly in business and make creditors happy seeing more revenue than just Bernie's one event. Then... they saw how much demand there was after the F1 event for all the impressed fans to run on the track, and realized they could up the ante. But, they had all those early contracts... So, like folks of high moral stature, they kill the existing contracts in favor of new offers for more money.

Just a theory... Follow the money.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by steve kramer View Post
    What i was really concerned about was their ability to handle the specators for our March Majors race, but after going to F1, they appear to know how to handle it!
    How about being concerned about handling the club racers themselves? Where is the paddock going to be? It is going to take over 200 entries to cover the track rental. With a $700 possible entry, how many people are going to be showing up with single car non-enclosed trailers? I am thinking the biggest collection of bus size motor homes outside of the Runoffs.

Brian

Liked: 9

From the COTA press release: "We have contacted organizations that did not have fully executed rental agreements to inform them of our decision".

Not a lawyer, but it seems like a cashed check should constitute a fully executed contract but MVP was told the event is canceled.

This could get interesting.

p.s. They have 60 slots for RVs. I was told they don't know they don't know what to do with more than 60.
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Just like they are doing with their rental operations?

Brian

I didn't know the Sales Department administered race meetings. I guess you learn something every day.

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Frog

My theory is this (with black helicopters overhead), COTA started renting the track months and months ago to get solidly in business and make creditors happy seeing more revenue than just Bernie's one event. Then... they saw how much demand there was after the F1 event for all the impressed fans to run on the track, and realized they could up the ante. But, they had all those early contracts... So, like folks of high moral stature, they kill the existing contracts in favor of new offers for more money.

Just a theory... Follow the money.
    Makes sense to me ... not necessarily ethical but good for the track and its bondholders

Terry

Contributing Member

They have 60 slots for RVs. I was told they don't know they don't know what to do with more than 60.
    On the outside of the track on the back straight pretty close to the opposite end of the track vs the pit lane. Great paddock location, but it is close to the service road. Should not be an issue for all the teams that tow their cars to the pit lane.

Brian

Contributing Member

I didn't know the Sales Department administered race meetings. I guess you learn something every day.
    Here is the question: Why do you build a track which you intend to rent to clubs with no club type pit and paddock system? Nothing wrong with optimizing the track layout and having a small professional pit lane, paddock/garage system. But why was there not some kind of club racing pit lane system integrated into the back straight near possible paddock parking areas. Just poor planning and/or track management. The club racer is just an after though. Does this sound like an organization that will be concerned with our issue?

Brian

Liked: 3787

In the spirit of the holiday season, you guys need to be easy on the track.
    Can you imagine trying to get loans for $100 million and get through all the environmental hoops, not to mention zoning issues, sound ordanances, and do-gooders... much less Bernie pulling their cord about every third day.
    It is amazing they got it built. So, they customized it for the big customer, Bernie,
    Now there are a few "growing pains" while they figure out what to do when Bernie isn't calling the shots.
    Everything for a few years focused on making that F1 date and beating out NJ. Now they need to regroup. Chill.
    Merry Christmas.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Well said. Keep in mind that the track has to make money.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Thank you Mr. Frog. Most never thought it would be built. It was. Then disaster was predicted for F1. It was a great success, sold out, raves about the track. We never thought there would be a club race on a F1 track. Now there is one coming in a few short months, again, people are predicting disaster, paddock complaints, RV complaints, etc. from those that have never been to the facility.
    To me it looks like santa has been here already!

Liked: 68

p.s. They have 60 slots for RVs. I was told they don't know they don't know what to do with more than 60.
    That''ll cover about one race group......and still be better than the majority of tracks we race at.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by mousecatcher View Post
    Well said. Keep in mind that the track has to make money.
    Canceling events sounds like a way to not make money, unless they thought they would lose money with the scheduled club events.

Or maybe they plan to replace them with bigger money making events...

One good thing from this - Some SCCA Cub Racers were going to the MVP event to get an advantage. I like that now at the first SCCA event everyone will be seeing the track for the first time at the same time.

Contributing Member

Contributing Member

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4340

Fortunately, attendance is not mandatory .... so those that don't like the operation and organization, can just stay home. Lack of entries does not sound like it will be the problem. It sounds like a monster challenge for the host region!

Some special tracks ,like Road America, Watkins Glen, and Mosport, to name just a few, require special procedures, and special levels of patience. This keeps some people away, but also seems to attract people determined to enjoy those special tracks.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Some special tracks ,like Road America, Watkins Glen, and Mosport, to name just a few, require special procedures, and special levels of patience.
    But do they also include $150K event rental fees and possible $700 entry fees?

Brian

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by steve kramer View Post
    Now there is one coming in a few short months, again, people are predicting disaster, paddock complaints, RV complaints, etc. from those that have never been to the facility.
    Pull up a map app and view the issues for yourself. The paddock behind the garage structure is clearly marked for individual passenger car parking. Translate that into what you normally see done at major club events. Maybe four (4) parking spots per entrant? Say you rent a garage, does that mean your motorhome or enclosed trailer (with all your spares) will not be taking up space behind the garages? Try siting the next available asphalt outside the garage paddock.

Brian

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4340

But do they also include $150K event rental fees and possible $700 entry fees?

Brian
    Who cares? That is a business decision for the host region.
    When they release the details in 3 weeks, decide if you want to go on those terms. I will do the same. This event will not be for everyone.
    Last edited by problemchild; 12.23.12 at 3:46 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 27

Default Parking

There is ample parking behind the main Grandstand with an access road straight to the hot grid...Also, there is parking behind the garages and over at the short track cutoff past the Senna Esses(The support classes parked there)...Not going to be an issue....CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!

Here is the question: Why do you build a track which you intend to rent to clubs with no club type pit and paddock system?

Brian

Yeah, I'm sure that while the COTA Staff was working 24/7/365 to get approved for an F1 race, they were thinking "I wonder where Improved Touring is going to park?"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information