Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 0

Default Round 3 Qual And Race results.

Here are the qualifying and race results from today, top 5.

Qualifying Results:

1) Doug Seim 1:12.970
    2) Carl Middelegge 1:13.758
    3) Jason Steeb 1:14.024
    4) Gregg Schings 1:14.258
    5) Bill Bonow 1:14.864

Race Results:

1) Doug Seim 1:13.071
    2) William Bonow 1:12.864
    3) Jason Steeb 1:15.115
    4) Dave Weitzenhof 1:15.597
    5) Reece Everhard 1:15.420

Reece Drove a great race from the back of the field to finish 5th. All in all it was a fun day.

I will post some pictures, and tomorrows results, hopefully better for me.

Carl
    Carl Middelegge
    2007 Evolution MK 1.3 FST

Nice job on your birthday Doug!
    and nice job Jason on your first FST Hossier race. nice to see a converted car up in the standings.

Default Round 4 from Nelson Ledges

Qualifying Results:

1. Doug Seim 1:12.701
    2. Robert Clark 1:13.967
    3. Jason Steeb 1:14.020
    4. Gregg Schings 1:14.030
    5. Georg Podgorski 1:14.212
    6. Bill Bonow 114.227

I had ignition issues which wern't fully corrected from yesterday.

Race Results:

1) Doug Seim 1:13.804
    2) Bill Bonow 1:14.169
    3) Carl Middelegge 1:13.996
    4) Robert Clark 1:14.750
    5) Dave Weitzenhof 1:15.979
    6) Reese Everand 1:15.966

Doug Seim drove a great race and checked out. Bonow, Steeb, Podgorski and myself had a great battle for second, George lost an oil line with 4 to go, Jason spun @ turn 11 on the last lap and finished 7th.

I'm sure Bill will post a race report tomorrow.

CAM
    Carl Middelegge

Liked: 3787

So... did anyone else notice, 7 time National Champion, Mr. Dave Weitzenhof trying out FST this weekend?

Liked: 58

Default What a weekend

Another great FST weekend! Many thanks to Randy Hensler for going "above and beyond" in helping me get to the track as I had the Flu in the week leading up to the race. Many thanks to Robert (RGU) and the Formula First Driver's Association for setting up the most compelling regional series I've seen in 20+ years in this sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug FST 5 View Post
    Another great FST weekend! Many thanks to Randy Hensler for going "above and beyond" in helping me get to the track as I had the Flu in the week leading up to the race. Many thanks to Robert (RGU) and the Formula First Driver's Association for setting up the most compelling regional series I've seen in 20+ years in this sport.

What he said! What a great weekend - many thanks to RGU Racing (Robert, George, Doug), Butch, Bill, Carl & Company, and SRacing for all the help and advice over the weekend, and just as important - for the comradere' - what great group of people to hang with.

Looking forward to RA
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    So... did anyone else notice, 7 time National Champion, Mr. Dave Weitzenhof trying out FST this weekend?
    Noticed several times as he drove by me - again and again. Was very cool to know he was out there with us. Thanks for coming out to play Dave!
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Default Can't forget!

I need to give a big thanks to Del Bardell ( http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/member.php?u=7520 ) and Pro-Stitch Embroidery. On VERY short notice he was able to put together some great tee-shirts for us for our "We Appreciate Hoosier's Support" (or whatever we called it) day on Saturday. I'm sure Robert Guhde will be posting some pics of the sea of purple. Del got the shirts done beautifully, and came in lower than his original estimate for cost!

Del's the man!

Last edited by lawyerbob; 06.28.10 at 12:31 PM.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Jeez Carl...you could have at least mentioned I spun trying to get 2nd place back after swapping positions with, Bill, Robert, and yourself about 57 times in 18 laps! Give me some credit! hahahahaha!!!

Sunday's race is probably the most fun I've ever had in a race car! I guess I should have settled for another 3rd, but the door was so wide open. As I sailed by my usual braking point to my late braking point, the door shut... Dow! I figured Bill knew I was going to try him there. I was planning to brake late, and he was planning to defend. I either had to bail to inside or drill him right in the #9 . I just couldn't straddle the curb at that speed, and lost it.

Not how I wanted to finish, but what a fun weekend!!! This is the coolest class of car I have ever had the pleasure to run in.

And by the way... to everybody who thinks a converted FV can't be competitive... This was my first weekend racing at Nelson Ledges, and my first weekend racing with these guys. I took a 3rd on Satuday, and could have been 2nd or 3rd on Sunday if the last lap had gone differently. I'm racing a converted 1979 Lynks, with my FV Carrera front shocks, and an old FOX shock with worn out wiper/shaft seals in the rear. I also have an awesome Autoworks engine, and yes (even in the short wheel base Lynks) I found room for an oil tank.

Cheers!
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jsteeb View Post
    And by the way... to everybody who thinks a converted FV can't be competitive... This was my first weekend racing at Nelson Ledges, and my first weekend racing with these guys. I took a 3rd on Satuday, and could have been 2nd or 3rd on Sunday if the last lap had gone differently. I'm racing a converted 1979 Lynks, with my FV Carrera front shocks, and an old FOX shock with worn out wiper/shaft seals in the rear. I also have an awesome Autoworks engine, and yes (even in the short wheel base Lynks) I found room for an oil tank.

Cheers!
    Jason

Gives me hope that when I sort some more stuff out on the Adams it will also be capable - now the driver - whole different question! At least for the time being I can blame the car!

BTW - anyone know how long it takes for data to get to MyLaps? I had to leave before the official resutls were up - anxious to see if I imporved my times at all.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Default Reporting is not my strong Suit

Jason,

Bill usually does the race report, I'm just the statistician. The Sunday race was a great race, I had great battles on my way forward with Robert Clark, Then George Podgorski, Bill & Jason and could not get by, I tried all kinds of moves but just couldn't pull off a pass. I was gifted third when Jason Spun.

The racing was fair and fun. I was hoping to have video, but my camera turned off at the end of lap one ? I then thought I was turning it off on the cool off lap, which turned it back on. Due to Georges and others? Not sure who's oil leak the view is like looking through a piece of wax paper so it wouldn't have been much good anyway, good thing I use Speedstack tearoffs I went through 6 of them in 18 laps.

I will post the opening lap video later this week. After my ignition woes on Saturday and Sunday It was good to have finally corrected the problem.

Carl
    Carl Middelegge

Carl...just messing with you man! I had a blast this weekend. It was great to finally meet you, and even more fun to race with you(and everybody else)! Too bad about your camera tho, I was hoping to see my save in the kink. I'm sure only a driver of supreme talent like myself could have saved it! hahahaha!!! Luck helps too I suppose. Anyway...I'm just happy I was able to hang with you guys, and I'm looking forward to Grattan and lot's more FST racing in the future!

These things are a great little package! And Bill's right....the race weekends feel like a vacation! I actually got to think about car setup, instead of steering lash and brake adjustments! hehehehe!!!

Thanks to everybody who has been involved for the last 5 or 6 years making Formula First a reality, and thanks to Robert and the Driver's Assosociation for the contingencies and great series! I felt like I was at a mini-F2000 series race! Great fun!

Liked: 190

Long weekend, long ride home. I'll be writting up a report shortly, but the weekend was in a single word, fun. I really enjoyed the opportunity to hang with DW for the weekend. The man is a walking/talking suspension rockstar. I am well aware that FST is a few notches down the technology food chain from FC, but Dave seemed to adapt very quickly for never seeing one of these things before Friday afternoon. I hope that in the future, Dave and Sherrie can come join us again. I feel lucky for the opportunity to have the two of them share the weekend with us.

Here is a little teaser. We all took a photo on the front straight with our "Hoosier Tire" appreciation shirts.

Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 151

Default Hoosier appreciation Day

I agree --- thanks a lot to Del Bardell

What a great job and people just loved the shirts. I was shocked that we could get them in time because of a late order date caused by a local guy not calling me back. If anyone needs anything for their team like shirts, jackets etc. I would see Del right away.
    Thanks from the Formula First Drivers’s Association!!!!

just noticed there 15 people viewing this thread at the moment - dont' any of us have jobs? At least that we care about?

Tough to go back to work after a race weekend!
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 3279

Sherrie and I had a great time! Great bunch of people, saw some old friends, met some new people, kind of back to our roots in racing (FVee).

I also had fun trying to figure out what to do on the suspension to make the car handle better. We didn't get all the way there with the car I drove this weekend, but if we do this again, I'll bet we will!
    Dave Weitzenhof

That was some great racing. I got to see the action on Saturday as you guys were zooming past station 9. For Sunday I had great seats with a flag in my hand at 12.

I saw that big wiggle you had there in the kink. I was getting ready to get of dodge for cars sliding my way. I was very amazed when you caught it. Well done sir. I'm assuming you guys got bounced around pretty good putting tires over the curb on the inside of 12. I had a real nice view of how much bounce that spot was putting on the cars. Note to self don't put a wheel there once I'm driving.

Default First time I saw that flag used like that!

Cool off lap Sunday at the kink - frantically waving debris flag.

Just past the kink - one seriously scared ground hog getting out of my way!

Just finishing up the race report, should be posted shortly. Here is DW in his weekend ride just before the Sunday race.

Bill Bonow

Nelson Ledges events always amaze me. The facility is limited, but it has improved (showers and flush toilets). I have never had a bad time at this track. The operations people are the nicest I have ever met and the racing (although bumpy) is always top notch and tough. Talk about a fast track, even with the bumpy surface, our little FST cars average 98+ mph. Sometimes I think that repavement at Nelson Ledges would make everything flat out and boring. Over the years, the place has been tagged by many as a dump. As for me, I love it exactly as it is.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 06.29.10 at 5:56 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Default More Thanks to organizers

Speaking for the FFDA I want to thank my home region’s race chairman Scott Moller. He did a great job organizing the event and he was able to accommodate everything we requested . Many thanks also to track announcer Marv Grey who was quickly able to digest our materials and did a great job calling the race. He actually walks around inside the tower from one window to the other so he can see the action and he had every driver’s bio nailed. Great job!
    Finally, Scott and Kerrie Lane the track management had the place looking as good as it could be. You can now drop a nut on the 1 inch tall grass and actually find it. Thanks for the effort from all the members of the Formula First Driver’s Association.

Liked: 50

We also like the track. Albiet a bit bumpy (even more so with Greg's car problem.)
    And as far as SCCA events go it is done very well. It would be perfect if it were about 150 miles south.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Over the years, the place has been tagged by many as a dump. As for me, I love it exactly as it is.
    I agree - - first time there and I loved it - looking forward to returning again when I've got a better set-up and more seat time so I can go faster and actually see the lead cars!

Long LONG haul for me (not as far as Mr. Nash though! yeeesh!) but well worth the trip. Aside from the great racing, this is just plain a fun group of people.

Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

[FONT=Tms Rmn][FONT=Verdana]The facility was great! I was bare-foot most of the weekend! This was not the Nelson Ledges I remembered. And the bumps get less annoying by the lap. I was ready to leave after my second session. But, I can't wait to go back now! [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]The only thing I was that disappointed by was the, "fun day" groups during the test day. 1 fun day group would have been cool with me, but I thought 3 fun day groups, and 2 SCCA groups was pretty excessive. 5 groups really limited the track time for all of us. 1 session before lunch and 2 after was pretty lame - as far as test days go. I understand the track needing to make ends meet at the end of the day, but I can't remember ever being at an SCCA test day with only 3 sessions. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Default The Race Report

THE 2010 HOOSIER TIRE FORMULA FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP held rounds 3 & 4 at Nelson Ledges in Warren, Ohio. Round 3 was held on Saturday, June 26th and Round 4 on Sunday the 27th. This is the 8th continuous season of a US Formula First racing series.

Nelson Ledges has always brought out a strong number of Formula First competitors. A number of new drivers and cars showed up for the event ready to do battle. We were pleased to have a very special guest driver with us, 7 time SCCA National Champion Dave Weitzenhof came out to give Formula First a try. Friday’s test session was attended by Carl Middelegge, Bob Stack, George Podgorski, Bill Bonow, Jason Steeb and Dave Weitzenhof.

The official line up for rounds 3 & 4:

# 2 Jim Nash - Mission MR-09 - Mission Race Cars - Bloomington, MN
    # 5 Doug Seim - Mysterian M5.1 - AutoWerks/P&NP - Okeana, OH
    # 6 Reece Everhard - Jacer - Rochester, MI
    # 9 Bill Bonow - Campbell Evolution - Plainfield, IL
    # 11 Aaron Deer – Campbell Evolution – RaceCarSupply.com – Elgin, IL
    # 13 Robert Stack – Adams Aero – Hartland, WI
    # 16 George Podgorski – RGU BRD – Glastonbury, CT
    # 19 Jason Steeb – Lynx B – Novi, MI
    # 21 Randy Shinn – Mysterian M2 – Gibsonburg, OH
    # 26 Carl Middelegge - Campbell Evolution - TTS/Orbitalum - Lake Forest, IL
    # 37 Robert Clark – Campbell Evolution – Rochester, MI
    # 41 Greg Schings - Campbell Evolution – SRacing.com – Georgetown, KY
    # 69 Dave Weitzenhof – Campbell Evolution – Nelson Ledges - Bath, OH

Saturday

Q 3 Notes:

We were fortunate enough to get our own race group for the weekend. The cars to the track at 10 am and straight away it was clear that Seim would be the man to beat. He had set the pace with a 1:12.970, almost a full second over Middelegge. Everard had some trouble with an oil line that would take his Jacer out of contention for the afternoon race.

Q 3 Results:

Seim 1:12.970
    Middelegge 1:13.758
    Steeb 1:14.024
    Schings 1:14.258
    Bonow 1:14.864
    Nash 1:15.228
    Weitzenhof 1:15.544
    Deer 1:18.323
    Podgorski 1:21.185
    Everhard 1:21.503
    Shinn 1:21.912
    Stack 1:23.814
    Clark 1:45.214

Round # 3 Race Notes:

Everard would start round 3 in the # 25 SRacing Campbell Evolution as his Jacer was side lined for the day. Round 3 started very well and it looked like 5 cars would be in the hunt. Seim, Middelegge, Steeb, Schings and Bonow. Steeb went off course in the last turn on lap one, dropping him out of the lead pack. Middelegge developed an ignition miss fire on lap 3 and fell back. Schings pulled in on lap 5 with rear suspension issues, leaving Seim and Bonow to battle for the point. Seim was never challenged and at the checkered flag, it was Seim by 4.4 seconds over Bonow.

Round # 3 Race Results:

Seim 1:13.071
    Bonow 1:12.864** Fast lap
    Steeb 1:15.155
    Weitzenhof 1:15.597
    Everard 1:15.420
    Nash 1:14.806
    Clark 1:13.421
    Deer 1:18.591
    Shinn 1:22:.166
    Middelegge 1:13.456
    Podgorski 1:14.461
    Stack 1:24.321
    Schings 1:14.869

Sunday

Q 4 Notes:

It had rained overnight, so the morning humidity was strong. Coupled with the temperature, it was going to feel warm for today’s qualifying and race. Reese Everard was back in his Jacer after repairs were completed. Seim was hooked up and flying. He qualified a full 1.2 seconds ahead of Clark. However 2nd thru 6th was separated by just .26 seconds. Middelegge was still having electrical issues qualifying 11th.

Q 4 Results:

Seim 1:12.701
    Clark 1:13.967
    Steeb 1:14.020
    Schings 1:14.030
    Podgorski 1:14.212
    Bonow 1:14.227
    Nash 1:15.240
    Weitzenhof 1:16.099
    Everard 1:16.589
    Deer 1:17.045
    Middelegge 1:21.891
    Stack 1:22.832
    Shinn 1:22.996

Round # 4 Race Notes:

At the green, Clark missed a shift and he dropped from 2nd to 6th by turn 1. Seim pulled out a solid lead in the first few laps. The fight for 2nd through 6th was Podgorski, Steeb, Bonow, Schings and Clark. Schings pulled off on lap 5 with handling issues. Middelegge had cured his electrical issues and had worked his way to the tail end of the 5 car train. On lap 12, Podgorski lost an oil hose and retired. Seim had built up an 8 second lead over the second group now consisting of Steeb, Bonow, Middelegge and Clark. On the last lap, Steeb attempted to pass Bonow in T11 for 2nd but spun in the process. At the flag, it was a dominant Seim taking the checker followed by Bonow and Middelegge.

Round # 4 Race Results:

Seim 1:13.804 ** Fast Lap
    Bonow 1:14.169
    Middelegge 1:13.996
    Clark 1:14.750
    Weitzenhof 1:15.979
    Everard 1:15.966
    Steeb 1:14.218
    Deer 1:18.348
    Nash 1:16.228
    Stack 1:23.973
    Shinn 1:23.675
    Podgorski 1:14.410
    Schings 1:15.262

THE 2010 HOOSIER TIRE FORMULA FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP

----------3rd Place Jason Steeb------1st Place Doug Seim-----2nd Place Bill Bonow

Round # 3 Nelson Ledges Podium – June 26, 2010

-------3rd Place Carl Middelegge------ 1st Place Doug Seim--------2nd Place Bill Bonow

Round # 4 Nelson Ledges Podium – June 27, 2010

Next: Formula First Returns to Road America

Our next event will be Rounds 5 & 6 at Road America on July 24th & 25th hosted by the Milwaukee Region of the Sports Car Club of America. The event looks to bring out another large and competitive group of Formula First cars to do battle on the historic 4-mile circuit.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 06.30.10 at 9:08 AM.
    Bill Bonow

Default The view from the tower on Sunday

Here's a link to a video shot by Brodie Hensler from the observation tower on Sunday. He catches most of the key moments in the pack!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHgdqrXwp5k

Doug FST 5

Default Video

Doug,
    You’re right Brodie did a great job capturing the action that we saw from the McGill tower. One thing not evident was the 93 degree temperatures. Boy was it hot!

Doug....Thanks for posting the video. I was really looking forward to seeing Carl's in-car, but this is pretty neat too! If all the races are going to be like that, I guess I should get my incar camera working.

RG...you're not kidding about the heat. While I was sitting there at the end, waiting for a bump start, I remember being surprised how hot it was sitting still, and how deep my breathing was. My head temps were a little warmer then they had been too. It was a warm one!

You guys have fun at Road America! I'll see you all at Grattan.

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information