Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 151

Default Rounds One and Two BHF

I need your help. It looks “pretty probable” that we will have something between 12 and 15 FST’s at Blackhawk . A couple of our new drivers are already planning to make Nelson their first race. So please get in touch with me and let me know if you are planning to go and also let me know what car number you’ll be using.
    Respond any way you want.

We have almost 90% of FST drivers signed up as dues paying members but if you haven't yet signed up for the association please do.

Liked: 67

Robert,

15 cars at Blackhawk would be great. I would expect even more for Nelson Ledges. I will be at both events, hopefully as car #2. I got lucky all last year and didn't need to change it.

See you at in a few weeks.

Jim

Liked: 10

Robert

Unfortunately (for me at least) Tracy & I won't be making the trek to Blackhawk this year. I will be kicking off my season at Nelson with the plan to do all subsequent rounds (inc ARRC).

I will miss Carl's flank steak BBQ!!

See you all at Nelson

Rob

Jim

Car numbers is one of the reasons I want all this info. I'm sure that at at least two races this year FST will have their own race group and you won't have to use racer tape to change your number.

Have you finished your new scoops?

Robert,

The scoops are not quite ready. I'll have something to show but they will not be completely done. I may be running the unfinished ones for development purposes. We'll see. I really need to get the car back together and race prep'ed. That will be more of my focus than completing any of the updates. Splitting time between race participant stuff and constructor stuff has both areas a bit behind!

Jim

Liked: 0

Robert:

I'll be at BFR for sure. I'd love to do Nelson but I'm not sure it's in the budget (time or $ being just three weeks after the Milw. Mile race. (I'm from Milw - I HAVE to race the Mile even if it's not a FST Series Event). But if I can pull it off, I'd like to try Nelson.

Will for sure be at the RA event, and will be trying to make Mid-Ohio. Gratten I'm not sure about since we leave on vacation the Monday morning after that event. Still thinking about it.

If all goes well I'd really like to do the ARRC in November.

Car No. 13

It's racing season!
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Default Ill Be There

Robert,

I will be there car # 26, same as last year. Still trying to finish 2010 updates, hopefully I will have all completed in time, if not it will be out there as it finished up at the ARRC.

I am sure Butch will be there as car 11, I know Bill is trying to put a new car together in time, not sure of the number, maybe he can chime in and give us all a clue.

Mickey McFinnegan?
    Carl Middelegge
    2007 Evolution MK 1.3 FST

Liked: 190

Quote Originally Posted by lawyerbob View Post
    I'm from Milw - I HAVE to race the Mile
    Bob,

We were wondering if the Mile event would still be on with the sink-hole issue in the infield:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/81076702.html

Sorry to steal the thread.......

I know that Butch Deer, Jeff Salcedo, Carl Middelegge (just posted) and myself (in a brand new 2010 Evolution) will be at Blackhawk.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Apparently the sinkhole actually does not affect the infield portion of the race track, according to our RE Jim Roemer, who said the track is fine and the race is on.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Global Moderator Dave Woodmancy's Avatar
    Liked: 69

Default BHF

I will be there in Bill Bonow's familiar #69 Evolution. Looking forward to seeing everyone, and meeting a few new faces as well.

Woody

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    Apparently the sinkhole actually does not affect the infield portion of the race track, according to our RE Jim Roemer, who said the track is fine and the race is on.
    my understanding as well - so everyone come up and run the Wisconsin Grand Prix!
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I am sure Butch will be there as car 11, I know Bill is trying to put a new car together in time, not sure of the number, maybe he can chime in and give us all a clue.

Mickey McFinnegan?

Between this comment and Bill's profile pic currently I know I am in trouble for allowing this.

Default I'm signed up!

Okay - now it feels like racing season is really here! I've registered for the races and for the Friday test day!
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Default Registration is open!

For those that are curious, here is the link to register online

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...9D2663584FE8CB

I am entrant # 5 in FST

As always, looks like the season will start with some serious racing.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 2

Can any one recommend a clean motel in the area? Thanks in advance.

Dave,

There are a bunch on Rt 81 (Milwaukee Rd) in Beloit. I just Googled "Beloit Wisconsin Hotels" and there was plenty of common named chain hotels to choose from. Hope that helps and looking forward to seeing you at Blackhawk.
    Bill Bonow

Default Motel Milwaukee Airport

I left the Blackhawk race track early last year and I got to the Milwaukee airport at 6pm Sunday night. I had a very bad experience with AirTran so this year I’m going out at 6am Monday. I would like to drop the rental car at the airport Sunday night and take a shuttle to a nearby motel and then let them drop me at the airport early Monday morning. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rgu View Post
    I left the Blackhawk race track early last year and I got to the Milwaukee airport at 6pm Sunday night. I had a very bad experience with AirTran so this year I’m going out at 6am Monday. I would like to drop the rental car at the airport Sunday night and take a shuttle to a nearby motel and then let them drop me at the airport early Monday morning. Any recommendations are appreciated.
    There is a Best Western directly across the street from Mitchel Field, and I'm sure they have a shuttle. There is also the Sheridan Four Points also across the street. On the other end of the spectrum there's a Motel 6 over there as well.

I'd probably opt for the Best Western.

I can offer my couch for Sunday night as well (all the bedrooms are full) and would be able to give you a ride to the airport Monday morning - we're about 35-40 minutes from Mitchel Field

If you need phone numbers let me know - I'll look them up
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Default Saturday Night Dinner

[FONT=Monaco]Hello all firsters,[/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]We are planning on hosting a dinner on Saturday night at our paddock space. A Louisiana lowland shrimp boil, gotta support our cajon buddies while their down.[/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]I need to get a count of who all will be comming and if you are bringing guests, how many?[/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]Please reply back to [/FONT][FONT=Monaco]cam766@sbcglobal.net[/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]Thanks,[/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]I'll see ya at BHF.[/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]Carl[/FONT]
    Last edited by CAM; 05.10.10 at 8:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    Carl Middelegge
    2007 Evolution MK 1.3 FST

Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    [FONT=Monaco]Hello all firsters,[/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]We are planning on hosting a dinner on Saturday night at our paddock space. A Louisiana lowland ship boil, gotta support our cajon buddies while their down.[/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]I need to get a count of who all will be comming and if you are bringing guests, how many?[/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]Please reply back to [/FONT][FONT=Monaco]cam766@sbcglobal.net[/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]Thanks,[/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]I'll see ya at BHF.[/FONT]

[FONT=Monaco]Carl[/FONT]
    I'm in but what's a "ship boil"?
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by lawyerbob View Post
    I'm in but what's a "ship boil"?
    You gotta get the crude oil off somehow...
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Look at it this way, at least it's not a Shemp Boil

I have re-entered in the slightly older 2008 Evolution of Butch Deer. I'll be sharing the car with Jeff Salcedo for the weekend.
    Bill Bonow

Default Opening Rounds at BFR this weekend!

Looks like the opening round entries at Blackhawk are set. We're a little light in numbers, but we still have better than 10% of the total weekend entry!

Here is how the grid will look:

# 2 Jim Nash - Mission MR-09 - Mission Race Cars - Bloomington, MN
    # 5 Doug Seim - Mysterian M5.1 - AutoWerks/P&NP - Okeana, OH
    # 6 Reece Everard - Jacer - Rochester, MI
    # 11 Bill Bonow - Campbell Evolution - RaceCarSupply.com - Plainfield, IL
    # 11 Jeff Salcedo - Campbell Evolution - RaceCarSupply.com - Des Planes, IL
    # 13 Bob Stack - Patch Adams - Stack, Fahl & Bagley, LLP, Trailer Leasing - Hartland, WI
    # 26 Carl Middelegge - Campbell Evo-Mk 1.3 - TTS/Orbitulum - Lake Forest, IL
    # 69 Dave Woodmancy - Evolution Mk 2 - Everythingcarz.com - Holly, MI

The weather looks to be great and I'm sure the racing will be.

Jeff and I will be sharing Butch Deer's car (Thank you Butch) as I just could not get the new car completed for this race.
    Bill Bonow

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    , but we still have better than 10% of the total weekend entry!
    Not just that, but in our race group we are just a touch under 50% of the group! Oh, and there are twice as many of us as FV. hmmmm

FINALLY - It's time to RACE!

See you guys tomorrow - anyone what time we can get on track in the morning?

Oh, and does anyone know if Tech will be open on Friday at all? I still need to get my annual done
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Hey, Bill I was just wondering if the Jacer is considered a converted vee or specifically first.

Chris,

According to the Jacer website, that chassis was built in 2002 as a V2K3 (Formula Vee). It was run in Canada for a number of years in the F1200 series (even won a championship). So, simple answer is yes, it's an FV. Jacer has moved on to new models that are specific to FV 1600 (FST in Australia) and no longer builds FV 1200 (CAMS will no longer homologate new 1200 cars). David Cutts is currently building a new model Jacer FV 1600. If you go to his Facebook page, some photos of the raw chassis and suspension are posted.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 7

Default Results/times?

Results and times for those of us unable to be there would be cool. :-) I hope everybody plays safely this weekend!

Matt Gordon

Matt,

The weekend is over, just returned home. Working on a full race report, but in general, it was safe, fast and very competitive. Hope to have something (with pics) up tomorrow.
    Bill Bonow

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Matt,

The weekend is over, just returned home. Working on a full race report, but in general, it was safe, fast and very competitive. Hope to have something (with pics) up tomorrow.

Still bummed I missed it. I'm planning to head out early tomorrow morning to McHenry to drop the trans off at LRE - hope it will be back in time for the Miklw. Mile, and then, possibly, Nelson - we'll see - I want to.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 58

Default Great Weekend!

A terrific FST weekend at Blackhawk! Many thanks to Carl and Marie for the fantastic dinner on Saturday evening. What a fun time!

Doug FST 5

Quote Originally Posted by Doug FST 5 View Post
    thanks to Carl and Marie for the fantastic dinner on Saturday evening. What a fun time!

Doug FST 5
    doubly bummed I missed that too!

So what were the resutls?

Rumor has it Doug won at least one of the 4 races and Bill won one.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Default Rounds One & Two Results

Still working on an actual press release to send out, but here is some advanced info.

The 8th season of a US Formula First racing series known as:

THE 2010 HOOSIER TIRE FORMULA FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP held their opening two rounds of series races at Blackhawk Farms Raceway. Round 1 was held on Saturday, May 15th and Round 2 on Sunday the 16th.

Being that the season was starting very early, a number of competitors were not ready and the entry numbers for our opening rounds was low at 7 cars (the total event entry was just over 70 cars). Bob Stack attended the Friday test day and was plagued by new conversion gremlins that sent him home on Friday afternoon. That brought us down to 6 cars for the weekend. Here they are:

# 2 Jim Nash - Mission MR-09 - Mission Race Cars - Bloomington, MN
    # 5 Doug Seim - Mysterian M5.1 - AutoWerks/P&NP - Okeana, OH
    # 6 Reece Everard - Jacer - Rochester, MI
    # 11 Bill Bonow - Campbell Evolution - RaceCarSupply.com - Plainfield, IL
    # 26 Carl Middelegge - Campbell Evo-Mk 1.3 - TTS/Orbitulum - Lake Forest, IL
    # 69 Dave Woodmancy - Evolution Mk 2 - Everythingcarz.com - Holly, MI

Jeff Salcedo also raced in car # 11, but in the non-series morning races.

Q1:

The morning race was our qualifying with the finishing order determining race 1 starting position, so pole points are awarded to the morning race winner and not by the fastest lap. Reece Everhard was having mechanical issues and retired for the weekend during Q1.

Start of Q1 race

Q1 restults:

Seim
    Middelegge
    Nash
    Woodmancy
    Everhard (DNF)
    Salcedo / Bonow (DNF)

Round # 1

Started out to look like a tight battle would insue. On lap two, Middelegge spun in an attempt to overtake Seim in turn one. No contact and Middelegge would continue, but 15 seconds behind. On lap 4, Seim droped out with a broken header pipe and the battele was down to Bonow, Woodmancy and Nash. All three took the point at various times during the 18 lap event. In an attempt to catch back up to the leaders, Middelegge set a new track record at a blistering 1:17.848. At the end, Bonow pulled out a very small lead to take the win.

Round # 1 Race Results:

Bonow 1:18.943
    Woodmancy 1:18.722
    Nash 1;18.634
    Middelegge 1:17.848 ** Fast lap and new record
    Seim (DNF)
    Everhard (DNS)

Saturday night, Carl Middelegge cooked up a real feast for all. A shrimp boil to feed the masses. Great food and great company!

Q2

Sunday morning look to be another great day of racing. Jef Salcedo had a great run to the front and took the checker, but a bad calculation by his crew (me) lost him the race in post race impound (8 lbs light).

Q2 results

Woodmancy
    Seim
    Nash
    Middelegge
    Salcedo / Bonow (moved to last place by Cheif Steward)

Round # 2

This race was tough. All 5 cars were racing very close the entire race. Nash attempted a passing move on Woodmancy late in the race and fell off the outside of turn 1. He returned to the track, but fell back far enough to take him out of the hunt. Seim got a small advantage while passing a lapped FV to give him a 1.1 second margine of victory at the checkerd flag.

Round # 2 Race Results

Seim 1:18.534
    Bonow 1:18.613
    Woodmancy 1:18.902
    Middelegge 1:18.595
    Nash 1:18.342 ** Fast Lap

Still working on more photos and a press release.

The next two rounds are in a month at Nelson Ledges. We are expecting the typical large turn out for this event. Last year we had 16 cars. This year we could have 18.

Actual deatailed results are posted here:

http://www.bvrscca.org/2010/Regional/Quadregional.htm
    Bill Bonow

Default A few photos

Here are a few shots I took with my cheapo camera.

Jim Nash - Mission MR 09

Carl Middelegge - Campbell Evolution

Doug Seim - Mysterian M5.1

Dave Woodmancy - Campbell Evolution

Reece Everhard - Jacer V2K3

Jeff Salcedo - Campbell Evolution
    Bill Bonow

I feel like the fat kid on the play ground yelling "hey you guys - wait for me"

On the bright side, I'm getting better and better at taking the car apart and putting it back together again.

Nice looking collection of cars.

Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Wow, looks like it was tight running based on the times, congrats Bill and Doug! nice job Woody on the first weekend in that car. Can't wait to join you guys at Nelson.

Default random thoughts

I was standing at the pit wall with Butch Deer and Jeff Salcedo watching the second race progress and watching the drafting and passing going on the front straight and Jeff remarked that this was an amazingly competitive situation and that “sixteen laps into this race there were five cars contesting for the lead and it was still anyone’s race”. After the race Jeff joined the association and I think we’ll see him again very soon

I was as depressed as Bob Stack was when he had to drop out of the weekend because of a transmission problem. He had solved some of the little issues one expects with a new car. But I was most disappointed because Bob did more for the association (FFDA) than anyone else and it would have been fitting to see him taking the green flag.
    And I was really pleased that Dave Woodmancy in his first FST weekend was competitive in every instance and he also came away a convert just like Jeff.
    Lastly it was great to meet 16 year old Reece Everhard who comes to us out of karting. What a great attitude he has for someone so young, and we could all see plenty of talent there too. As soon as they get their new engine he will add a new dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by rgu View Post
    I was standing at the pit wall with Butch Deer and Jeff Salcedo watching the second race progress and watching the drafting and passing going on the front straight and Jeff remarked that this was an amazingly competitive situation and that “sixteen laps into this race there were five cars contesting for the lead and it was still anyone’s race”. After the race Jeff joined the association and I think we’ll see him again very soon

I was as depressed as Bob Stack was when he had to drop out of the weekend because of a transmission problem. He had solved some of the little issues one expects with a new car. But I was most disappointed because Bob did more for the association (FFDA) than anyone else and it would have been fitting to see him taking the green flag.
    And I was really pleased that Dave Woodmancy in his first FST weekend was competitive in every instance and he also came away a convert just like Jeff.
    Lastly it was great to meet 16 year old Reece Everhard who comes to us out of karting. What a great attitude he has for someone so young, and we could all see plenty of talent there too. As soon as they get their new engine he will add a new dimension.
    Well, I'd disagree with your assessment of my contribution, but I appreaciate the thought. Thank you.

I'm going to do all I can to make it to Nelson at the end of June. At least I can get a littel seat time at the Milw. Mile a few weeks beforehand.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

I figured I would chime in with some of my thoughts on the weekend. First off, Robert and Butch have done a heck of a job putting the series together. The post race podium with series banner was a nice touch. As for the Saturday night party, Carl and Marie’s dinners are turning out to be meals you’d get at restaurants rated with a few stars more than I am used to! Thanks for the all the work.

I was hoping for a bigger field but as close as the racing was you’d never know there were only 5 cars running for most of the weekend. As Robert points out, there are more cars on the way and Nelson Ledges should have a strong turnout.

What has me a bit perplexed is that given the banter about $1K manifolds, tire costs and minimum weight on the FV site, why aren’t there more converts to FST? Maybe the FV stalwarts have it right and the fence sitting advocates of change will always find a reason not to participate. With the FST class addressing those specific issues, some of which are similar when campaigning a FF, you would think we’d see more FST’s at the track.

If you want super close, affordable, open wheeled racing and can live without racing at the Run-Ons or the June $prints you owe it to yourself to look into Formula First.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nash View Post
    What has me a bit perplexed is that given the banter about $1K manifolds, tire costs and minimum weight on the FV site, why aren’t there more converts to FST? Maybe the FV stalwarts have it right and the fence sitting advocates of change will always find a reason not to participate. With the FST class addressing those specific issues, some of which are similar when campaigning a FF, you would think we’d see more FST’s at the track.

If you want super close, affordable, open wheeled racing and can live without racing at the Run-Ons or the June $prints you owe it to yourself to look into Formula First.

Jim
    those are the things that convinced me Jim. I'm pissed about the trans but it will pass - same thing would have happened if I had installed it as a long box in a Vee. In the end I'm sure it's the right decisison. I agonozied over the Run-offs and the Sprints until I realized that if you're not running up front, then those are just another (expensive) race. And I'm fully planning on the ARRC this year - heck - what could be better than Georgia in the fall!

Again, I'll repeat my plea for cars/people to do FST booth at a VW fest here in Milw. June 12th - I think we can possibly generate some interest.

Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 50

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nash View Post
    What has me a bit perplexed is that given the banter about $1K manifolds, tire costs and minimum weight on the FV site, why aren’t there more converts to FST?
    Jim, Excellent point. They are now over there still arguing the minimum weight issue in FV. (an issue that we in FST addressed up front and no one is complaining and everyone is competitive.) (Although Jeff Salcedo might have liked it to be 10 lbs less )

Ignitions, weight, tire cost, oil sump size, manifolds, and more. Every complaint item in FV is gone in FST. I can't even think of anything that has been mentioned as a sore point in FST.

Also our fully populated FST driver association and streamlined organization for addressing rules has already addressed and improved on things for 2012.

Go FST and all your complaints are gone.

Jim

P.S. Bob, I think it's a great idea and if it were a bit closer I would bring a car up.
    I hope someone can take you up on it.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information