I was all excited to roll out a new forum structure today and announce that all of the Classifieds throughout ApexSpeed are now in ONE SINGLE searchable section at the bottom of ApexSpeed's listings. It will make searching and using the Classifieds here a much easier and streamlined experience.
HOWEVER, I made an absolutely enormous blunder this morning and I inadvertently deleted the entire Vintage Classified section. I don't know what I did to screw it up, but I did. There is no restorable backup from our server provide, which is another problem altogether. I'm sorry, this is 100% my fault, and I don't know what else to say. Anyone with any listings in the Vintage Classifieds will have to relist them, and if they were posted by our ApexSpeed Classified posting service, please resend us the photos and information to email@example.com and we will relist them ASAP.
Again, I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience and problems that this causes, but a this point, there is nothing else I can do.
I feel I shouldn't have to do this, so file it in the Ridiculous Forum Rules Department.
As of yesterday, February 1, 2013, we will NOT allow Classified listings for cars or parts that you do not own and/or have possession of. This means, no active Classified listings of someone else's cars, wherever they may be.
This does not include posting eBay listings of items you may have come across in your auction searches, helping an internet-challeneged buddy out with his listing or alerting friends in a different class to cars already posted on ApexSpeed in other forums.
Please use your best judgement in following this rule. We would like to make sure that the people selling cars on these forums are actually selling their own cars and not acting as a self-appointed listing agent for random cars found all over the internet.
Over the last 10 days, ApexSpeed has been under attack by human spammers attempting to register/post on the forums to increase SEO for their clients. These attacks have been coming form all over the globe, and have increased to the point today that myself and Bill Bonow have been banning, blocking and deleting user accounts as fast as they can be created.
For the time being, the forums are completely closed to new registrations. I have better things to do this weekend than to babysit spammers from the Philippines and India. I will turn it back on probably later tonight or tomorrow and it will now require Admin approval for all new registrations until further notice. I know it's an inconvenience to new users, but trust me, this is the last thing I want to be doing every day.
Something that I have usually overlooked in the past will be part of the 2012 policy change here on ApexSpeed. We have previously allowed postings for open seats and drives from prep shops or teams, but those are no longer allowed.
Any prep shops or race teams that have cars available for pay-to-play drives are required to be supporting banner advertisers here on ApexSpeed in order to post those listings looking for drivers. Like any other for-profit business, a simple return to the forums for the right to post Classifieds for cash-to-drive seats will be a requirement from here on out. Any posts that violate this policy will be moved offline until that company becomes a banner advertiser.
If you have questions about advertising or banners, see the "Advertising" link at the top of the forums, or PM Kim Carter for current rates and more information.
For those of you who like to "bump" your Classified threads to the tops of the forums on a daily basis, we'd like to see this practice stopped immediately. We don't mind you resurrecting an old thread of items to sell to bring it to the forefront of people's eyes, but bumping threads daily forces others to have to do the same to have the same visibility. What this creates is a mess of cClassified posts, where the same things are always fighting to be at the top.
These forums don't move fast enough for people to not be able to see everything 2 or 3 pages deep every few days. We're going to set a limit on thread "bumping" to 1 week/7-days as the minimum time for moving a stale Classified post to the top.
If a moderator or admin finds that you are unnecessarily moving your post to the top of the forums too often, that post will be removed indefinitely. Multiple violations will result in a temporary and potentially permanent time-out from the forums.
Some moderators here are driven batty by unnecessary bumping, so do so at your own risk.
From this point on, we will be taking a serious stance on ad hominem attacks in the forums, for any reason. We have no problem with emotional and spirited arguments, but when the only way to argue against someone's point is to attack them personally or some other superficial reason, the offending user will be given a 10-day temporary posting ban on the forums. I don't care who it is that is guilty of the indiscretion, they will get a mandatory 10-day cooling off period without warning. Don't be the first example to everyone else.
We need to work together to fix the problems that we all see with the system, not fight against ourselves. Nothing good is accomplished by personal attacks and flame wars. And we won't tolerate it here on ApexSpeed.
Just a reminder for ALL Classifieds postings on ApexSpeed, asking prices MUST be listed in the ad, or they will be removed within 24 hours of the original post. This is not eBay, and you cannot auction your items off to the highest bidder without listed prices.
"Best offers" are always welcome, but please include a starting point for your expected price.
Every so often, I need to remind everyone of a few forum problems that pop up with users (especially new users). Hopefully, everyone will read this...
1) If you have LOST your password, first of all, shame on you for not changing it to something you can remember. Second, you can retrieve it yourself very easily. When attempting to log in, there is a link that says, "Forgotten your password? Click HERE. Typing your address into that page will have a password sent to your registered e-mail address. Simple. We will NOT respond to password requests or change of passwords, sorry.
2) If you have CHANGED your e-mail, you can also change that yourself in your User Control Panel once you are logged in. Once you change your e-mail, the forum will automatically reset your password and remail it to the new address. Once you get it, log into the forums, and PLEASE CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD TO SOMETHING YOU CAN REMEMBER EASILY.
3) If you use automated systems to filter your e-mail to only allow "approved" domains or e-mail addresses to send you mail, shut it off before you might expect e-mail from the automated forum software (password retrieval, registration, forum e-mail, etc.). We will not approve SPAM check e-mail requests. If you don't get your password, it's because of your own system blocking mail.
4) We will not post classified ads for you. If you can't figure out how to post simple messages on the forums, then maybe selling an expensive race car on the internet isn't the best idea for you.
5) I accidentally do this sometimes myself, but when responding to an e-mail or a PM notification sent by the forums, you must click the link in the e-mail to respond THROUGH THE FORUMS, and don't hit "REPLY" in your e-mail client. This will reply to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will not get your message to the intended target. We will not forward messages sent in error to the server.
6) When you register, you will receive a CONFIRMATION E-MAIL that you absolutely MUST respond to, or you will not be officially registered for the forums. Without confirming your e-mail address, you can't post or view photos. All registrations automatically get a confirmation sent immediately. If you didn't get one, one of two things has happened. One, you typed in your own e-mail address wrong. Or two, your junkmail filter has redirected this e-mail to your JUNK folder. You can have another confirmation e-mail sent to you if you have lost or deleted the original confirmation message, you can request another at email@example.com.
Just a quick note about passwords: retrieving your own forum password is very easy. All you need is the e-mail address you registered for the forums with to be functioning.
When you enter the log-in area, you are prompted for your username and your password. If you don't have your password, there is a link to the right of the login area that will take you to a screen to retrieve it for you. A direct link to the e-mail retrieval location can be found here.
Starting today, we will no longer be manually retrieving your lost passwords to send to you. You MUST use the automated forum system to get your password if you have lost or forgotten it. If you no longer have access to your originally registered e-mail account and you cannot remember your password to log in, please send a note from your new e-mail account with as much information as you can provide about the existing account you woud like edited.
We can not stress enough the need to change your passwords from the automated forum password to something you can easily remember. Once you have logged into the forums, go to your "User CP" to change your password to something different from the one provided.
We will not be manually searching out your lost passwords. You must use the forum retrieval link listed above. Please don't e-mail us asking for your password, you will not get a response.